jeff_h

Oil Change Info for 2013+ Hybrid/Energi

Nasty storm heading your way. Lightning hit the field across the road from me, house is still shaking from the BOOM.

Opened the hoods of my 13 and my wife's new 14 in the garage this morning and noticed her engine oil cap reads, 0W20, while mine reads, 5W20. So, they've evidently updated the cap on the 14. Wonder what the 15s call for?

I have enough 5W20 on hand for two more changes, so I'll stick with that in mine for the near future.

Opened the hoods of my 13 and my wife's new 14 in the garage this morning and noticed her engine oil cap reads, 0W20, while mine reads, 5W20. So, they've evidently updated the cap on the 14. Wonder what the 15s call for?

I think this was debated earlier in this same thread, and the below was noted in Ford's system to provide info to dealers:

SSM 44509 - 2013 - 2014 C-Max, Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi - Oil Viscosity Specification For 2014 C-Max, Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi, SAE 0W-20 is the initial fill oiland the recommended service oil. The oil viscosity recommendation of SAE 5W-20 on the oil fill caps on some 2014 Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi vehicles may appear to conflict with the owner guide and other service publications which recommend SAE 0W-20 oil. Both SAE 0W-20 oil and SAE 5W-20 oil are approved for use in these vehicles. 2013 C-Max, Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi can also be serviced with either SAE 0W-20 oil and SAE 5W-20 oil.

Wonder what the 15s call for?

My 2015 FFH indicates 0W20 on the oil cap and the owners manual states that either 0W-20 or 5W-20 is acceptable.

I'd run 0W-20 in winter conditions and 5W-20 where it's warm.

I was thinking about that yesterday after I posted. I'll probably do just that.

GrySql, you completely messed up their process by supplying your own oil and filter and specifying a tire PSI different than the door label. You moved their cheese around and they were bewildered.

You are missing a few.

That story should earn at least a triple face palm.

It would be fun to see GrySql's filled out survey.

Actually, if I had three hands, it still might not be enough... That was a doozy!

Draining the oil twice removed any contaminents left from the original oil. Now it is very clean inside. :)

I had a similar experience that did not end in such a happy way though.

When we had our 1995 Ford Taurus, I took it to one of the quick change oil places for a free oil change. I talked with the tech at the desk explaining I needed an oil change and nothing else, as the car only had 32,000 miles and I had just changed the air filter myself. After about 20 minutes the service tech walks into the waiting room and beckons me to walk out to the garage so he can tell me what he is going to do. He tells me he is going to change the oil and what type he will be filling it with. He states the air filter is good and does not need changing. Then he tells me that it is recommended to have the rear differential fluid changed at the current miles. I just stared at him dumbfounded and asked, "On the Taurus? You want to change the rear diff fluid?" He said yes it is recommended. Once again I asked him if he was talking about the front wheel drive Taurus. His answer was yes it is recommended. I walked back into the office and told the manager what I was just told and he told me that the techs go off intensive training and recommended work books. I was still dumbfounded but played along with him and asked if I could please see the rear differential on my Taurus. He said sure and proceeded to tell me it is shaped like a pumpkin and is at the rear of the car between the two axles for the rear wheels. Uhh Huhh, Well guess what, there was no rear differential like that under my Taurus. I was blown away. Next thing I said was take the car down and I am leaving and never coming back. That was the last time I have ever been to a quick lube oil place.

GrySql, you completely messed up their process by supplying your own oil and filter and specifying a tire PSI different than the door label. You moved their cheese around and they were bewildered.

At the Buick dealership I have frequented most recently for oil changes, they insist on airing up the tires to 32 PSI on all vehicles, no matter what the door sticker says, as if they know better about what the tires should be set to.

This is annoying enough in itself, but then the OnStar sends a nasty-gram email saying the tires are too low since they are not at the prescribed 35 PSI. :banghead:

In that case I would say before service, Don't touch the tires or I wont pay for it.

I just bought the coolest, cutest 1-gallon air compressor, which includes a standard gas-station air chuck, to air up my tires with. So now I just have another excuse to play with my new toy if they do let the air out of my wife's tires again. I also bought a precision air gauge so I know my tires are definitely at the pressures I want them to be.

My butt makes a good tire pressure gauge too. I can tell when the tires or tires is a few pounds low by how the car feels in the seat. Can only do that in the Fusion though since I drive it every day. Before I replaced the tires, I had a slow leaker, and knew when the TPMS light would come on before it did. I also knew which tire it was even though they all looked the same. This Fusion is the only car I could do this with too, it is that sensitive to the road.