jeff_h

Oil Change Info for 2013+ Hybrid/Energi

I changed my oil in the 2013 FFH for the first time today, here are a couple points that will interest those who change their own oil.

- Gone are the thick plastic covers for the drain plug and oil filter from the 2010 that needed a 7mm and 10mm socket/nut driver to remove. Now there is a large cover (for airflow/sound) that is about 3' x 4' (approx of course) and goes under the entire engine, and is secured by 11 Torx T30 screws. So be sure you have one of these T30s on hand before you start, or you will be backing down off the ramps again to run to the auto store. Actually there are two other airflow/sound covers on the underside that are about 2' x 6' each and go down the length of the car on each side of the exhaust. You'll also need a flat-blade screwdriver or other similar device to loosen two plastic clips which hold the cover in place as well.

- Drain plug is 15mm (whereas the 2010 was 13mm) and is facing to the rear of the engine, so I assume that a car sitting level or on ramps would both be good for draining.

- Oil Filter is about the same place as the 2010, in front and easily accessible, points straight down.

- 2013 FFH takes 4.5 quarts as shown in the owner's manual, which is a different amount than is noted for the various engine sizes in the conventional Fusions (which all have different amounts based on each engine type). Oil filler cap specifies 5W-20 which is also noted in the owner's manual. 0W-20 oil is also acceptable as Ashley confirmed in the highlighted green post above.

Edited by hybridbear

Thank you for this. What mileage did you change the oil at? How did the used oil look? I was going to do mine at 5K the first time, then every 8K afterward. Did you happen to check one of your spark plugs to see if it had any signs of fouling like Acdii's? I can't get that out of my mind as something I should do.

As with any time I get a new car, I change it for the first time at 1,000 miles (it was only slightly dirty) - most will say that's overkill and that the old ways of microscopic metal shavings during break-in are a thing of the past, but I do it anyway as I'm OCD about it. So now I will change every 5,000 even though that's probably more overkill, but I've changed oil every 3,000 miles for many years and so 5,000 is a compromise that I can live with and it's always easy to look at the odometer and know when a change is due.

I didn't do anything with the spark plugs, my MPG is very good (if the MPG was bad like Acdii's then that might warrant a check), I didn't mess with the spark plugs on the 2010 until 100k when I had them replaced.

What brand oil and filter?

I've used Mobil 1 full synthetic and plan to continue I guess, Mobil 1 filters too.

There are plenty of threads on that, so hopefully not another debate will launch here - however I use Quaker State full synthetic 5W-20... though I have used Mobil 1 and would be fine with Valvoline or Pennzoil too.

On the filter, I used a Motorcraft FL-910 which is the same one that the 2010 used. I normally stock up with a single purchase from rockauto.com (better prices, pay for shipping once for lots of stuff) and this past order got 8 oil filters, extra air filter, and cabin air filter... and put them on the shelf for when they are needed.

I have just read Mobil Oils recommendation the filters be stored in a dry place at room temperature, so I won't be able to store mine in the garage in Houston.

That reminds me of another thought that may be helpful to other DIY'ers, is common sense but might not stick in one's mind until they experience it themselves or hopefully through hearing of the experience of others -- in my old house I didn't have a garage (though a garage does not guarantee to prevent this) so my oil filters were stored in a shed... so I went through my usual routine of pulling my truck onto the ramps and draining the oil, then opened the filter box and found that some type flying/carpenter ants had made a nest inside the box and filter. Unfortunately I was on the last filter (I normally get several at a time) and just drained my oil, and didn't want to reuse the old filter - neighbor gave me a ride to the store to get another, so it just took longer than expected.

So that's another lesson I learned, which is to make sure that adequate oil/filter is on hand before starting and that no critters have gotten into the filter, and also that the filter is not dented/damaged (had a big dent once too, another reason to verify before starting).

Edited by jeff_h

Looks like the oil was changed in mine when they replaced the plugs. So much for getting an oil analysis now. I have always gone with extended changes by doing oil analysis close to the drain interval. Got into that habit with my Diesel since 4 gallons of oil and filter was expensive. Learned I could go 9500 miles between changes using Shell 15W40 Rotella. Now that I only have cars, I just let the dealer change it out, $20 and done. Every 5th change is free too.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but my Owner's Manual calls for the Motorcraft FL-910S in the '13 2.0L FFH engine, it has a Silicone anti-drain back valve.

I have one I bought today and can see the silicone gasket behind the 7 oval drain holes.

Actually I used the Motorcraft FL-910-oops-I-forgot-the-S-on-my-post-actually-I-think-they-probably-all-have-S-for-the-reason-you-state.... nice catch, sorry about that.

Edited by jeff_h

You are wasting oil. The oil that you are taking out is so clean and fresh that it can be used in another engine. IE Dont believe the 3000 mile oil hype. Here is what I suggest, being as I was a mechanic for quite some time and have a pretty good handle on lubrication, On the next oil change, send a sample to Blackstone, and for $20 they analyze the oil and send yo a report, with change recommendations. The synthetic oils last a long time, even longer in hybrids due to their ULEV design, the 10K oil change interval is no longer a myth. I used to get 9500 miles out of oil changes in my F350 Diesel, and the reports always came back showing I could go at least 2000 or more miles on it. Now if a diesel can get 10K on an oil change, these little clean burning engines can surely do it too.

Back when the 3k oil change came about, oil was not very good, and had to be replaced frequently, but today, even the cheap walmart oil is far better than that stuff was. Save some time and money and try to oil test and see. My 2010 has 36500 miles and has only had the oil changed 3 times, and it is still clear with 6K on this last one.

You really should be using synthetic oil, its what they call for in these cars. It comes from the factory with a synthetic blend. I usually switch over to Mobil 1 in my normal cars and truck on the first change, but the Hybrids work fine on the semi syn Motorcraft oil . I once had a 1979 Ford LTD wagon with the 5.0 in it that I had blue printed. Drove that car until rust killed the frame and with 250K on the engine, pulled it out to put into a Grand Marquis, and to do so had to drop the pan. I use to go 30K between changes on that engine, just swap filters and top off, and that engine was as clean as the day I built it, and within .002" of the original specs on the bearings. Good oil and filters can last a long time. I got another 50K until some jackoff passed me on a snowy road and slammed into the car and wrecked it.

Here is where you do need to be careful, while under warranty, always use the oil they specify, after warranty, use what ever you want. For the most part dealers use the correct oil, it may not be Motorcraft specific branded, but will meet of exceed the Motorcraft specs, which is Synthetic blend, or full synthetic. While under warranty, I let them do the oil, afterwards I do my own if I want to with Mobil 1, or if I just dont feel like laying under the car, let them do it, for $20, why the hell not.

As I mentioned before, if you really want to know how well your oil and filter is working, have an analysis done on the oil. Once you have a couple of those done, you will know exactly when oil should be changed and how long it will last. In the long run the $20 you spend on the analysis can save you hundreds during the life of the car, and it will last just as long. When running a Diesel, with oil changes costing upwards of $80 a pop, you want to do it was few times as you can. 4 gallons of oil every 3000 miles gets mighty damned expensive, especially since it lasts 3 times that.

Using a good filter, like Motorcraft or WIX, and staying away from Fram, you can rest assured you have the best filter available, that will last the recommended change interval.

Thing to note, there are only a couple manufacturers if oil filters, one factory makes filters for multiple brands. Mobil one filters are identical to John Deere filters, and I would not be surprised if K&N filters are from the same plant. Motorcraft and WIX(Napa) filters come from the same plant.

I once had a TCH and did an oil change on it, bought a Mobil 1 filter. I also had to do an oil change on my John Deere Garden Tractor. It uses a spin on oil filter. The Mobil 1 filter cost me about $11, the John Deere, from the Deere parts counter cost $7. I pulled them each out of the box, they were identical in shape, size, threads, drain holes. Then I looked at the part number stamped on the housing. They were the same part number, only the date stamp was different.