jeff_h

Oil Change Info for 2013+ Hybrid/Energi

Is that before or after Ford made the massive update to the Fusion and downgraded the cmax?

Since the FFH is covered by an ESP plan, it will be up to the dealer as to what they install and chances are they will go by whatever to oil cap says, or what they have always been using. I'm not sure I get to specify what I want in it.

Toyota/Subaru now specify synthetic for engines in the past three years (our other car is an 11 Forester) and there are a lot of merits to it, despite the higher cost. What are most folks doing here? Regular dino oil or synthetic? Just curious. :noobie:

I just compared all the Owners Guide print versions for the 2013 and 2014 MKZh. Both 2013 print versions call for 5w20. The 2014 1st printing calls for 5w20, while the 2nd printing calls for 0w20. Huh? It's the same engine in both years. What is going on here? I only have 9500 or so miles before my next oil change. Ford better hurry up and straighten this mess out! :zombi:

Edited by SteveB_TX

Ford probably hopes that specifying 0W20 will improve cold weather MPG other than that I don't see a reason for going 0.

I dont either, and believe it is to meet CAFE more than anything else. First number is cold start viscosity, not much difference between 0 and 5, and really only would be helpful in the subzeros we are currently seeing, but otherwise 5W is perfectly fine for all other temps. Once the engine warms up it doesn't matter at all since the second weight is the same.

And the answer to your oil type is? Option 1. Dino

Option 2. Synthetic.

Let's see who is using what and then we can sort out the best brands in the next quiz!!!

Hello - new guy here. I've been lurking on this site as well as the Energi site for a while now, learning a lot. I recently bought a 2013 dealer demo Fusion Energi and am very pleased with it.

Regarding the oil debate, you may find this of interest...

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/product.asp?product=SAE%200W-20%20Premium%20Synthetic%20Blend%20Motor%20Oil&category=Motor%20Oil

"Motorcraft® SAE 0W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil is a premium-quality passenger car motor oil recommended by Ford Motor Company for 2013 model year and forward hybrid electric vehicles."

Looks like 0W20 is approved for use in the 2013's. Living in WI, I'm going to use 0W20 at my first oil change.

Hello everyone,

I double-checked with my technical adviser and he said the following:

For 2013: Use 5W-20

For 2014: The recommendation is to use 0W-20, but you can use the 5W-20 if you'd like.

Ashley

Ashley,

Do the 2014s come with 0W-20 oil from the factory? Is the oil a synthetic blend, or full synthetic?

I changed the oil on my 2014 HyTi today and used a 0W-20 synthetic oil. I noticed the oil cap specifies 5W-20.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

I responded to your PM. I'm fairly confident that they should have 0W-20 oil, but I'm waiting for confirmation just to be sure. I'll let you know ASAP.

Ashley

Hi everyone,

It appears that all of these questions you guys have thrown my way have resulted in some interesting discoveries. The oil recommendations in most of the printed materials for the 2014 Fusion Hybrid are incorrect. 5W-20 is still the recommended oil.

I did get complete confirmation that using 0W-20 oil is fine. It will not hurt anything and will not void your warranty, so long as you are having it changed at the appropriate intervals.

I'm sorry that it took this big, drawn-out conversation to get to the bottom of this, but at least it makes sense that your oil caps say 5W-20.

Thanks for all of your great questions!

Ashley

That is excellent news Ashley. So glad you are here to help clear these up.

I can't find the type of motor oil in the manual. I saw a post earlier that said Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is usable so that's what I will be using. I'm at 22% oil life but it hasn't been a year and I'm only at 6,000 miles. Not sure if I should wait till June, which will be a full year. Yeah I'll probably do that.