mrobinso8

Dead 12 Volt Battery - 2013 Fusion Hybrid

I am curious how long the dealer charged it for? When I put it on the battery tender I have, it took a good 6+ hours to top it off and

the light on the tender goes out. After that a month ago, I have not had an issue. I realize the dealer probably charges it different,

but, did they really fully charge it?

Also, has anybody had this issue fully remedied by applying one of the the mentioned TSBs?

I remedied the problem by putting a much bigger AGM battery in my 2013 Energi.

IMHO the supplied battery is way too small for what it is called on to do.

I couldn't tell you exactly how long they charged it, but they called me after just 3 hours saying it's ready for pickup, not to mention I had them check out another potential issue and wash the car. I'm determined not to have to tend the battery, so I'll keep visiting the dealer until the message goes away for good. As for TSBs, I believe the only current TSBs specify a cold weather requirement, so it wouldn't apply to me. And regarding a larger (and deep-cycle) battery, if Ford can't fix the issue I may turn to this COA, but not until the warranty runs out.

I have about 23400 miles on the car.

Make sure these visits are documented. Your BTB warranty is about to expire.

I quite assure you that the CAN fix the issue, they are just too DENSE to see the answer that should be obvious.

It might help to mention the "3 strikes and you're out" lemon law if your state has that.

Edited by Easy Rider

IMHO the supplied battery is way too small for what it is called on to do.

Well it just isn't.

If it were, thousands of Fusions.....and Prii......and Honda hybrids would be FLOODING the dealers with battery problems......and they aren't.

The problem comes in when the battery is abused or one is just defective.

An AGM is always better, regardless of the application, and a little extra capacity won't hurt but it is not NECESSARY in most circumstances.

The FFH LVB is a problem in all the models from cars manufactured in 2009 on.

I had the exact same problem in my 2010 FFH.

Define that problem, please.

And also "all".

I've had no problem with mine......yet.

And given the total number of owners on here, I think the number of reported problems is fairly low.

The battery is too small for the high load when the car is off and sitting. Many had premature failures. Many got discharged and damaged after manufacture while sitting for months on lots or railcars. There are now new procedures for keeping them charged while still in Ford's custody. When the battery fails prematurely, the car coasts to a stop and cannot be driven as a regular car can after the battery fails by running on the alternator. The FFH computer system does not permit it. Some have gotten 5+ years on one but not most. There is no heavy load condition check that occurs when several hundred amps are drawn starting a non-hybrid. The LVB does not start the ICE in these hybrids. If I lived in a remote area, I would carry a charged spare in the trunk and know how to change it. It has been the weakest link in the cars.

The battery is too small for the high load when the car is off and sitting.

If I lived in a remote area, I would carry a charged spare in the trunk and know how to change it. It has been the weakest link in the cars.

Can't argue with that first sentence.

But that is quite different than your initial broad blanket statement.

And I don't believe that once the car is running and the inverter is working, the car will just stop dead because of a battery that is a little weak.

Carrying a portable jump device would be a much easier and safer option than lugging around a spare battery.

If a cell shorts or opens, they stop dead ! the system senses it and stops the car. If a LVB is a little weak, it is charged. If the car dies this way while running, jumping it will not help. I don't lug around a spare battery but If I was in the boonies, I would. The system does not like a LVB that is anything other than good or better condition. This system does not behave in a traditional manner. This is from a lot of experience on these forums.

If a cell shorts or opens, they stop dead !

If the car dies this way while running, jumping it will not help. .

This system does not behave in a traditional manner. This is from a lot of experience on these forums.

While I might agree that there are a lot of problems from the LVB failing prematurely, I do NOT agree than having them go DOR is any significant problem at all.......any more than any other model or design. Catastrophic battery failure can bring down a "traditional" charging system too.

Edited by GrySql

The battery issue was first brought up in the C-Max forum, if I recall.

I have had two dead batteries after leaving the car alone for a week, and that was back in 2013 when the car was less than 6 months old.

I had the same problem with a dealer testing the battery repeatedly, from an obstinate SA. It finally failed A test and they replaced it. Now I just keep a solar trickle charger on my back window when the car sits in a parking lot every day.

So yes, it has been reported on other models if you were paying attention.

Edited by Barsoom

i don't know what DOR means. Historically, when a battery failed after the car was started, the alternator would support the vehicle until you shut the car off. That is not the case with these hybrids. I don't carry a spare battery.

i don't know what DOR means.

DOR is Dead On the Road.

Modern cars do not have the same charging systems that they historically did.

Electronic regulators are much more "intelligent" that the old ones were and in many respects act pretty much like the inverter in a hybrid does.

A shorted battery would take down any charging system.

The new regulators on modern conventional cars can detect an open or missing battery and shut down too but I don't know if they would or not.

Who said this: " I don't lug around a spare battery but If I was in the boonies, I would. "

And finally, I do not remember a single case reported here where a 12 V suddenly failed and caused the car to shut down on it's own.

My memory isn't what it used to be though; can you site a case ??

Edited by Easy Rider

Here's a report from Nov., 2010 about an Edmunds 2010 FFH in long term test DOR because of the LVB failure. http://www.edmunds.com/ford/fusion-hybrid/2010/long-term-road-test/2010-ford-fusion-hybrid-heres-the-conclusion-to-stranded.html. I could go on but would it change your mind? I think they are wonderful cars but the LVB is an Achilles heel. They cause many other quirky things beside DOR.

I said: ." I don't lug around a spare battery but If I was in the boonies, I would." I also said: "I don't carry a a spare battery"; ergo, I don't live in the boonies. I also watch the LVB closely.

This thread is nine pages and 165 posts ! The problem goes back even further as you can see by the Edmunds DOR.

Edited by lolder

Here's a report from Nov., 2010 about an Edmunds 2010 FFH in long term test DOR because of the LVB failure.

I could go on but would it change your mind?

Yes absolutely......maybe.

Undisputed facts and opinions directly from recognized experts cause me to re-form my opinions all the time.

Second or tenth hand "information" posted by someone I don't know just doesn't impress me though, because it usually is inaccurate for one reason or another.

In this case, it appears that the car did not DIE but instead displayed a warning message.

From your linked article:

"That in turn triggered the "stop safely now" warning light."

I might agree that the ominous light is roughly equivalent to actually going dead.......but it did NOT just die.

Unless that part of the story got left out.

You're not.... From my own stop safely now experience...my car did not go into "Limp mode." It DIED on Rt I-95 in a middle lane with semis to the right left and rear. :sos:

You're not.... From my own stop safely now experience...my car did not go into "Limp mode." It DIED on Rt I-95 in a middle lane with semis to the right left and rear. :sos:

And was that problem caused by a dead 12 V battery ?

Did only replacing the battery fix it completely ??

And was that problem caused by a dead 12 V battery ?

Did only replacing the battery fix it completely ??

After looking at the Ford Service workbook the FFH LVB is constantly being monitored by no less than 4 modules. When any of them detects a low voltage condition in the LVB the first thing that is tried is to charge it. If that cannot be done the instrument panel module is instructed to light the Stop Safely Now dash icon. If the low voltage condition worsens the car may go into Limp Mode or stop completely.

If anyone doubts this please show your references, I have them and don't intend to waste my time proving what we already know.

This ends the bickering. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

If you're experiencing a concern with your battery, feel free to reach out to me with the details. I'll be happy to check out some additional assistance.

Please include your mileage, date of the last trip to your dealer about this, and the symptoms and situations.

Meagan

Well, today my wife tried to start her 2013 (22 months old) and the battery was totally dead. After a jump, we got the STOP SAFELY message and Ford Roadside Assistance (at the Dealer's recommendation) towed it to the dealership. Now waiting for evaluation.

Update: Ford Towed the car to the dealership. BIG CUDOS to Ford Roadside Assistance. Courtesy, speed and efficiency were TOP NOTCH! The technician towing the car had to energize the 12V circuits via the engine compartment to allow enough juice to open the trunk and jump start the battery so he could get the car out of my garage and onto the flatbed truck. The dealership said it started just fine upon arrival ????? They are keeping it overnight to see if it starts in the morning.

Edited by Fastronaut