mrobinso8

Dead 12 Volt Battery - 2013 Fusion Hybrid

TSB 13-5-1 was done Tue, 7 May. All seemed fine until today. Drove to appointment and turned off car to accessory mode and immediately got the Shutting down, battery saver message. Since I had a previous case number nad District Reps phone number called Ford and left message that their fix did not fix the problem. Awaiting a return call assuming I get one. This is getting frustrating.

In Maryland, if a vehicle is brought in four times for the same problem and it is not fixed within the first 15 months, it's declared a "Lemon" by the Lemon Law. Check your state's laws.

My up date was done and no problems since. When I took it in for the update I was getting the message daily, on the third battery. Seems to have fixed mine. The update was done on my MKZ before I picked it up.

Edited by hermans

I hope they have these "Fixes" applied to all cars currently being built. WOuld suck to get mine and find they havent done so.

hermans, When was your "fix" done? Mine seemed of for about 3 weeks.

I had my battery replaced on April 11th. Before that the battery saver appeared every time I shut the engine off or put the key in accessory. I took the car in, the SA said they reset the BS system and the problem went away for a week. After the problem reappeared, I called my Service Advisor an asked him to research the problem. He called me a week later me told me to bring the car in to replace the 12 V battery. The FFH mechanic said that Ford got a batch of bad battery's that wouldn't hold a charge. No problems since. My FFH was built late February.

I do believe that this was done before TSB 13-5-1 was issued.

Edited by gkinla

The "Batch" of bad batteries started in 2009 when they started making the FFH.

Edited by lolder

The "Batch" of bad batteries started in 2009 when they started making the FFH.

I also owned a 2010 FFH and didn't have any issues with the 12 Volt battery, as a matter of fact I didn't have any issues at all with my 2010 FFH, 3 years, 65,000 miles and the only time it was in the shop was for an oil change. It was one of best cars I ever owned and one of the main reasons I went to the 2013 FFH, besides just wanting one, she's a looker and head turner.

Edited by gkinla

There were a lot of 12 vdc battery problems with the Gen. 1 FFH. Sitting on lots for months after manufacture was probably a factor but lots of vehicles do that. I think the FFH may have a larger residual battery load when "off" and it has a smaller battery. Once those OEM batteries were replaced, reliability was normal or better.

Never had a problem with the one in mine, I did run it down a few weeks ago, but a quick charge with my charger and its all OK once more. I guess it doesn't have a BS on it like I thought it did, and running the stereo like I did drained it more than I thought it would.

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm still having the battery saver messages, and I measured an 11.75v with a multi-meter on my 12v accessory battery. As of now, I still can't get my service department to recognize a problem. When I mention the TSB, I get silence on the phone.

After I had my dead car towed to them, then charged up the battery and then said it tested fine.

Still hoping to change their minds.

If it was a digital multimeter, 11.75 v. is DEAD ! You need to escalate your complaint up the Ford ladder as described in your manuals.

Thanks. I will.

I had made an appointment for last Friday, but canceled it due to inconvenience over the holiday weekend.

I also just noted that 13-5-1 has been superseded by 13-6-23, where Ford added a cold-weather requirement to the problem. It almost never gets below 32 degrees F here.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3545/tsb13-05-01.htm

I'm also tempted to ask for another service advisor at my dealership, but I don't want to antagonize. I'd rather just work with the same guy and get him to come to his senses about this.

I also just noted that 13-5-1 has been superseded by 13-6-23, where Ford added a cold-weather requirement to the problem. It almost never gets below 32 degrees F here.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3545/tsb13-05-01.htm

How did you access the TSB information directly? It seems restricted.

Not sure. On another thread, I found the link that I posted. It's letting me click through. Is it not working for you?

From the link, I clicked on both the "View Original Article" link, and the button "View Most Recent Article."

I also just noted that 13-5-1 has been superseded by 13-6-23,

My CA Dealer just installed TSB 13-6-23 to my FFH, they call it 're-calibrating the charging system'.

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm still having the battery saver messages, and I measured an 11.75v with a multi-meter on my 12v accessory battery. As of now, I still can't get my service department to recognize a problem. When I mention the TSB, I get silence on the phone.

After I had my dead car towed to them, then charged up the battery and then said it tested fine.

Still hoping to change their minds.

Sounds like you need to find a new dealer!

My CA Dealer just installed TSB 13-6-23 to my FFH, they call it 're-calibrating the charging system'.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3595/tsb13-06-23.htm

I brought this TSB up to my dealers attention and they said it doesn't apply to my car because it's not cold here @ 80 Degs. when I took the car in for Battery Saver event.

Edited by erichFla

My Ford dealer recommended that I get a trickle charger for my 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid - I leave it for 3 - 4 weeks at a time in a garage. I did have to replace the battery, and now I no longer get the battery saving mode message, but did get to learn about how to get into the car, etc when there is NO 12volt battery capability. Does anyone have a recommendation for the type of trickle charger (all I seem to find are chargers for when the battery is dead, I wish to keep it from dying while not using the car)? And would it be attached under the hood, and not on the actual 12 volt battery in the back? From reading forum articles - I am guessing I should use the connections under the hood.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the type of trickle charger (all I seem to find are chargers for when the battery is dead, I wish to keep it from dying while not using the car)? And would it be attached under the hood, and not on the actual 12 volt battery in the back? From reading forum articles - I am guessing I should use the connections under the hood.

I have one of these, it's simple and kept my little used Mustang's battery at peak charge for 2 years.

There are many kinds, other members may have better suggestions.

I would connect it to the charging points up front, under the hood.

My Ford dealer recommended that I get a trickle charger for my 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid

If they really said "trickle charger" they need to be re-educated in battery maintenance.

You do NOT want a simple trickle charger because it just keeps GOING AND GOING and over a long period can actually damage the battery.

What you want is a small "smart" charger that shuts off or backs down when it achieves a full charge.

Battery Tender is one brand but there are many others.

If it has a light telling you when it is fully charged, then it should be OK.

HIGHLY recommended for any vehicle that just sits for long periods like you described.

Where it is connected is a matter of convenience; it makes no difference functionally.

Some come with a "pig tail" that you can mount semi-permanently for even more convenient connection.

I started getting the BS message often, almost every time I shut the ignition off. Took the car in for a 20K mile service and mentioned getting the BS messages again. When I say again, last year in May, I was getting the BS message often. The dealer replaced the battery then. Service checked the battery and found it to be defective. I now have a new battery. The BS messages have stopped.

These 12 vdc batteries seem to be the weakest link of these Ford hybrids. I wonder if it's due to stratification or lack of stirring up of the electrolyte. They never have the several hundred amp starting currents that non-hybrids have or the subsequent high alternator charges afterwards. They need to do some engineering or quality control upgrades to the 12 vdc battery system.