Fusion Hybrid Owners Welcomes You!
With over 12,000 members, you're at the largest Ford Fusion Hybrid community!

Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post photos. . .more

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dead 12 Volt Battery - 2013 Fusion Hybrid

12 volt battery starting problem

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 611 posts
  • My Region:U.S. Northeast Region
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • Interests:Electronics and computers

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

Yesterday, I got in my car and it was DEAD.  Needed a jump to get it started so that I could drive it to the dealer.  I had read posts about Battery Saver messages and mentioned that to the service guy.  They put my battery on a charger for a couple hours and then it tested out perfectly fine.  When I asked why this happened, all they could tell me is that "maybe something was left on".  Isn't this car smart enough to shut things down after you exit?  When I later started my car, I noticed that the clock and seat settings were messed up and had to reset them.  I also noticed that the chime I was hearing every time I turned on the car (sort of a "La Ti Da" x 3 chime) was gone.  I wonder if that chime started about the same time as the Battery Saver messages. ???  Anyway, I'm going to watch for that.  My theory on this whole thing is that the car (computer) is not properly shutting things down upon exit.  I am very good about turning things off before I get out of the car and I do not charge my phone, use USB drives and I don't have a Nav system.  When I turn off the car, I get out. 

The computers and such run 24/7.  They don't stop when the car is turned off.  It is also very easy to leave the inside reading lights on and not notice it when you get out of the car.  They do turn off after about 15 or 30 minutes, I forget which.

I have a battery charger that can display the percent charge level of the battery while charging the battery.  I hadn't used the car over the weekend and put the charger on it yesterday.  It indicated that the battery was at 55% charge level.

I wish I could find the specs on the battery but it is a Ford proprietary battery.  Since it is not used to start the car it should be a deep discharge battery in this application.  A standard car battery can be destroyed by allowing it to discharge completely.  They are designed to supply short bursts of high current and then immediately be recharged.

• acdii likes this

196817.png

Tracking MPGe - not MPG

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts
  • My Region:U.S. Great Lakes Region
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013
  • Interests:R/C Flying, Sarcasm

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

Yesterday, I got in my car and it was DEAD.  Needed a jump to get it started so that I could drive it to the dealer.  I had read posts about Battery Saver messages and mentioned that to the service guy.  They put my battery on a charger for a couple hours and then it tested out perfectly fine.  When I asked why this happened, all they could tell me is that "maybe something was left on".  Isn't this car smart enough to shut things down after you exit?  When I later started my car, I noticed that the clock and seat settings were messed up and had to reset them.  I also noticed that the chime I was hearing every time I turned on the car (sort of a "La Ti Da" x 3 chime) was gone.  I wonder if that chime started about the same time as the Battery Saver messages. ???  Anyway, I'm going to watch for that.  My theory on this whole thing is that the car (computer) is not properly shutting things down upon exit.  I am very good about turning things off before I get out of the car and I do not charge my phone, use USB drives and I don't have a Nav system.  When I turn off the car, I get out. 

If and when you get a battery saver alert on the MFT(if you have it), take it back and ask they replace the battery since it isnt holding a charge.  I'm too lazy to go back and read all these posts, but I recall someone mentioning the wrong battery being installed too. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

208915.png

https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

273963.png

#63 OFFLINE   neod192

neod192

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,105 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • Interests:2013 Fusion

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

If and when you get a battery saver alert on the MFT(if you have it), take it back and ask they replace the battery since it isnt holding a charge.  I'm too lazy to go back and read all these posts, but I recall someone mentioning the wrong battery being installed too. 

The battery installed is correct - the manual is just listing the wrong one ... There have been reports of a some bad batteries, so replacing it should fix it.

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium << -- click for the picture gallery

- Deep Impact Blue

- 18" Polished Face with Flash Greay-Painted Pockets Wheels

- Moonroof with Universal Garage Door Opener

- Driver Assist Package

- Voice-Activated Navigation

- Active Park Assist with Forward Sensing System

- Adaptive Cruise Control

Ordered: 11/19/12 | VIN Assigned: 2/28/13 | Build Date: 3/21/13 | ETA: 4/6/13 | Delivery Date: April 5th, 2013 !!!

196622.png

#64 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Thats what it was.  See too lazy to even think right. Must be the weather. 

208915.png

273963.png

#65 OFFLINE   gkinla

gkinla

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 172 posts
  • My Region:U.S. Pacific Coast Region
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid
  • Interests:Driving

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'm going away for 9 days and leaving the 2013 FFH parked in the garage. The 12 V battery was replaced on 4/11/13 and I haven't gotten the battery saver message since. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put a trickle charger on the LVB, just because. I know when the car is off there are systems on standby waiting for a touch, B pillar key pad, a key placed in the ignition, etc. I don't know what the power drain is waiting in standby. I think I will anyway, I don't want the hassle of having a dead battery when I get back.
  • GrySql likes this

#66 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 76 posts
  • My Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic Region
  • Current Vehicle:13 Fusion Hybrid
  • Interests:computers

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

I called Ford Customer Service Friday about the battery saver messages again and as a result having to reprogram windows, no problem, and audio presets.  Battery previously replaced.  Went to put a new usb drive in car and got battery saver when opening door.  Just then the District Rep for Ford called and asked how I was doing.  Told her the problem and that it was unacceptable.  She agreed and stated that "Soon" a software fix would be out the would change how the 12 volt is charged.  I replyed that "the check is in the mail".  She said the projected time was 60 days but could go either way.  Hope it happens and works.  Car drives well but the software issues are frustrating.

• corncobs likes this

#67 OFFLINE   SoCalFusion

SoCalFusion

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 7 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • Interests:Fusion

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

Just curious.  For you folks who have had the battery problems, what was your build date?  From what I'm reading, this may not be a bad batch of batteries if both older and newer build dates are involved.

Where can I find my build date, I know I purchased the car as it came off the truck on 10/5/12, but don't know build date.  Anywhere to look it up?

#68 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 611 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • Interests:Electronics and computers

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:47 AM

Where can I find my build date, I know I purchased the car as it came off the truck on 10/5/12, but don't know build date.  Anywhere to look it up?

Go here

http://www.etis.ford...eRegSelector.do

and enter your VIN.

The date will be in european format.

196817.png

Tracking MPGe - not MPG

#69 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,054 posts
  • My Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'13 FFH - '13 MKZh
  • Interests:I collect classic muscle cars

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

I'm going away for 9 days and leaving the 2013 FFH parked in the garage. The 12 V battery was replaced on 4/11/13 and I haven't gotten the battery saver message since. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put a trickle charger on the LVB, just because. I know when the car is off there are systems on standby waiting for a touch, B pillar key pad, a key placed in the ignition, etc. I don't know what the power drain is waiting in standby. I think I will anyway, I don't want the hassle of having a dead battery when I get back.

I just returned from an 8 day trip to the Left Coast and my FFH sat in the garage. No problems.

• gkinla likes this

2013 FFH - Delivered 12/4

2013 MKZ Hybrid - Delivered 5/18

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#70 OFFLINE   milleron

milleron

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 255 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH Titanium
  • Interests:--

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

I called Ford Customer Service Friday about the battery saver messages again and as a result having to reprogram windows, no problem, and audio presets.  Battery previously replaced.  Went to put a new usb drive in car and got battery saver when opening door.  Just then the District Rep for Ford called and asked how I was doing.  Told her the problem and that it was unacceptable.  She agreed and stated that "Soon" a software fix would be out the would change how the 12 volt is charged.  I replyed that "the check is in the mail".  She said the projected time was 60 days but could go either way.  Hope it happens and works.  Car drives well but the software issues are frustrating.

Just think what would happen if the computer programmers at the various antivirus companies had the same work ethic as the "software" lackeys at Ford.  The entire Internet would be nonfunctional within a week. That "60-day" BS about fixing a problem that's leaving paying customers with cars that suddenly won't start, is utterly reprehensible. SHAME on you FoMoCo.

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Manufactured:  April 9;  Delivered:  April 25

#71 OFFLINE   DelS

DelS

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Dodge Magnum R/T
  • Interests:Movies, Music, wine, talking shit about politics, Surf, Ski.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Just think what would happen if the computer programmers at the various antivirus companies had the same work ethic as the "software" lackeys at Ford.  The entire Internet would be nonfunctional within a week. That "60-day" BS about fixing a problem that's leaving paying customers with cars that suddenly won't start, is utterly reprehensible. SHAME on you FoMoCo.

Hey it's the most advanced car this side of Tesla(I bet).     I love technology, and it took me a couple of weeks to get used to, and learn the tech in this beast.     So to design all the code to make this bad boy run, is pretty phenomenal.    

Mine had the battery issue this weekend.    I'm impressed with the car, nevertheless.

They'll work it out, and it'll be a distant memory.

Edited by DelS, 09 May 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#72 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

The 60 day estimate from Ford ended up being a couple of days.  TSB 13-5-1 was done Tuesday.  Do not know yet if it worked though.  Time will tell.  Milleron, you are correct.  This car has many issues that the Ford folks could be addressing, especially with the Navigation system.

• Fastronaut likes this

#73 OFFLINE   smr2112

smr2112

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 442 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid
  • Interests:Certified professional computer and SQL database geek

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

Isn't it a fairly simple test of a a battery to see if it has a bad cell, not holding a charge, losing battery acid...etc.?

If these batteries are defective, it should be easy to tell and a no-haggle warranty repair from the dealer.

For those who have had this problem, did any of the dealers do this test and find a definite bad battery?  If

these batteries are all testing good and not holding a charge, then the car has an issue of some sort?

If if you sit in the car 15+ minutes with it on, a good battery should handle this and charge back up as

soon as the car starts and runs a bit.

2013 FFH Hybrid Titanium 900A / Sterling Grey / Driver Assist / Park Assist / Adapt. Cruise / Moonroof / Navigation -- Took delivery 04/16/13

194152.png

#74 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

A good battery can show up as bad if it isn't peak charged during use. The TSB should correct that problem. 

On a side note, I stopped at an EV certified dealer to check out the Cmax Energi, and guess what....dead 12V. 

208915.png

273963.png

#75 OFFLINE   Fastronaut

Fastronaut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 389 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014
  • Interests:Photography, Travel, Good Wines, Computers and Technology

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

The 60 day estimate from Ford ended up being a couple of days.  TSB 13-5-1 was done Tuesday.  Do not know yet if it worked though.  Time will tell.  Milleron, you are correct.  This car has many issues that the Ford folks could be addressing, especially with the Navigation system.

I asked my service department guy about this and he said Ford won't allow him to do a TSB unless you actually have a problem they can reproduce. Huh?

250421.png   

(HIS) 2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium - Deep Impact Blue Metallic

• Driver Assist Package (90A), Voice Activated Navigation (60N)
  • Active Park Assist (18C), Moon Roof (13B)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (53B), WeatherTech FloorLiner All-Weather Mats
  • Trunk Cargo Net (96B), Heated/Cooled Front Seats (46B), Heated Steering Wheel (52A)

Ordered: 10/28/13 | VIN assigned: 10/31/13 | Window Sticker: 11/13/13 | Actual Build Date: 11/21/13 | In-Transit: 11/23/13 | ETA: 12/14/13 | Arrived at CSX Facility: 12/05/13 | Arrived at Dealer: 12/09/13 | Delivered: 12/11/13

220431.png

(HERS) 2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium - Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat

• Trunk Cargo Net (96B)

Ordered: 11/06/12 | VIN assigned: 2/28/13 | Window Sticker: 3/28/13 | Actual Build Date: 04/06/13 | In-Transit: 4/17/13 | ETA: 5/07/13 | Arrived at CSX Facility: 4/29/13 | Arrived at Dealer: 5/02/13 | Delivered: 5/03/13 | Tagged: 5/06/13 | Major Failure in for Service: 5/13/13 | Lemon Law Replacement Vehicle Received: 6/17/13

#76 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thats called LAZINESS. 

208915.png

273963.png

#77 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

TSB 13-5-1 was done Tue, 7 May.  All seemed fine until today.  Drove to appointment and turned off car to accessory mode and immediately got the Shutting down, battery saver message.  Since I had a previous case number nad District Reps phone number called Ford and left message that their fix did not fix the problem.  Awaiting a return call assuming I get one.  This is getting frustrating.

#78 OFFLINE   Fastronaut

Fastronaut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 389 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014
  • Interests:Photography, Travel, Good Wines, Computers and Technology

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

In Maryland, if a vehicle is brought in four times for the same problem and it is not fixed within the first 15 months, it's declared a "Lemon" by the Lemon Law.  Check your state's laws.

250421.png   

(HIS) 2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium - Deep Impact Blue Metallic

• Trunk Cargo Net (96B), Heated/Cooled Front Seats (46B), Heated Steering Wheel (52A)

Ordered: 10/28/13 | VIN assigned: 10/31/13 | Window Sticker: 11/13/13 | Actual Build Date: 11/21/13 | In-Transit: 11/23/13 | ETA: 12/14/13 | Arrived at CSX Facility: 12/05/13 | Arrived at Dealer: 12/09/13 | Delivered: 12/11/13

220431.png

(HERS) 2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium - Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat

• Trunk Cargo Net (96B)

Ordered: 11/06/12 | VIN assigned: 2/28/13 | Window Sticker: 3/28/13 | Actual Build Date: 04/06/13 | In-Transit: 4/17/13 | ETA: 5/07/13 | Arrived at CSX Facility: 4/29/13 | Arrived at Dealer: 5/02/13 | Delivered: 5/03/13 | Tagged: 5/06/13 | Major Failure in for Service: 5/13/13 | Lemon Law Replacement Vehicle Received: 6/17/13

#79 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,054 posts
  • My Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'13 FFH - '13 MKZh
  • Interests:I collect classic muscle cars

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

My up date was done and no problems since. When I took it in for the update I was getting the message daily, on the third battery. Seems to have fixed mine. The update was done on my MKZ before I picked it up.

Edited by hermans, 20 May 2013 - 01:03 PM.

2013 FFH - Delivered 12/4

2013 MKZ Hybrid - Delivered 5/18

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#80 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

I hope they have these "Fixes" applied to all cars currently being built. WOuld suck to get mine and find they havent done so. 

208915.png

273963.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 12 volt, battery, starting problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users