mrobinso8

Dead 12 Volt Battery - 2013 Fusion Hybrid

On the Prius it probably has the USB powered on at all times, but the Fusions power down after a while. I had put my nearly dead Iphone on the USB to charge it in the car, and when I got back in the car a few hours later, the phone didn't have a charge on it, so the port does shut off.

In the 2010, the accessories stay on for 10 minutes or until you open a front door.

The 12v batteries in the '13 are pretty small, that's the problem. They are only 390 amps and the ICE needs to be running for it to charge. People like me who are getting the high gas mileage - their battery is only charging 50% or less of the time. Mine had to be replaced and this one looks like it won't hold up. This would be my third battery, including the one that came with the car.

The 12 vdc battery is charged whenever the car is "on". The ICE does not have to be running.

Yesterday, I got in my car and it was DEAD. Needed a jump to get it started so that I could drive it to the dealer. I had read posts about Battery Saver messages and mentioned that to the service guy. They put my battery on a charger for a couple hours and then it tested out perfectly fine. When I asked why this happened, all they could tell me is that "maybe something was left on". Isn't this car smart enough to shut things down after you exit? When I later started my car, I noticed that the clock and seat settings were messed up and had to reset them. I also noticed that the chime I was hearing every time I turned on the car (sort of a "La Ti Da" x 3 chime) was gone. I wonder if that chime started about the same time as the Battery Saver messages. ??? Anyway, I'm going to watch for that. My theory on this whole thing is that the car (computer) is not properly shutting things down upon exit. I am very good about turning things off before I get out of the car and I do not charge my phone, use USB drives and I don't have a Nav system. When I turn off the car, I get out.

If and when you get a battery saver alert on the MFT(if you have it), take it back and ask they replace the battery since it isnt holding a charge. I'm too lazy to go back and read all these posts, but I recall someone mentioning the wrong battery being installed too.

Thats what it was. See too lazy to even think right. Must be the weather.

Isn't it a fairly simple test of a a battery to see if it has a bad cell, not holding a charge, losing battery acid...etc.?

If these batteries are defective, it should be easy to tell and a no-haggle warranty repair from the dealer.

For those who have had this problem, did any of the dealers do this test and find a definite bad battery? If

these batteries are all testing good and not holding a charge, then the car has an issue of some sort?

If if you sit in the car 15+ minutes with it on, a good battery should handle this and charge back up as

soon as the car starts and runs a bit.

A good battery can show up as bad if it isn't peak charged during use. The TSB should correct that problem.

On a side note, I stopped at an EV certified dealer to check out the Cmax Energi, and guess what....dead 12V.