mrobinso8

Dead 12 Volt Battery - 2013 Fusion Hybrid

Yea, almost same part as mine: BXT-99RT4-A

(replaced by dealer under warranty May 2015 for a 2013 model FFH).

So the Max thing I am sure is just for marketing/advertising/parts sales. You should be fine

The original part number on the 2013s as they came out of the factory was either BXT-96R-500 or BXT-96R-590

Ford's parts site is still showing both new/old ones available, but I doubt they sell it. I don't know really

if it was the original batch of batteries that was bad, or the design of the battery - or both.

They have had problems from at least the Gen I 2010-12 FFH's first built and sold in 09 and maybe even the Gen I Escape hybrids from 04.

I joined the dead 12V battery club after just 28 months. Since I was over the b2b mileage, replacement was on me. Went out yesterday morning and the remote wouldn't open the door locks... I knew right away. Picked up a replacement from a local dealer - the new part number, with higher CCA, btw. Installed it last night.

Funny that I get 36 months, unlimited miles, free replacement warranty with the new battery, but was limited to less than that for the original one.

I joined the dead 12V battery club after just 28 months. Since I was over the b2b mileage, replacement was on me. Went out yesterday morning and the remote wouldn't open the door locks... I knew right away. Picked up a replacement from a local dealer - the new part number, with higher CCA, btw. Installed it last night.

Funny that I get 36 months, unlimited miles, free replacement warranty with the new battery, but was limited to less than that for the original one.

Sounds like the grim reaper has struck again... in April my wife's Energi will hit the 3 year mark and has not shown any symptoms at all (actually the only thing gone wrong in 3 years is the leather driver seat coming unlatched), but I will be at the dealer getting inspection and 4 recalls (15E03, 14S21, 15S16, 15R01) performed, I see the writing on the wall and would rather pay for the ounce of prevention now than to have her get stuck unexpectedly, so might as well get the 12V replaced then.

Sounds like the grim reaper has struck again... in April my wife's Energi will hit the 3 year mark and has not shown any symptoms at all (actually the only thing gone wrong in 3 years is the leather driver seat coming unlatched), but I will be at the dealer getting inspection and 4 recalls (15E03, 14S21, 15S16, 15R01) performed, I see the writing on the wall and would rather pay for the ounce of prevention now than to have her get stuck unexpectedly, so might as well get the 12V replaced then.

Yes, especially since the reaper seems to come without warning. I guess it's the nature of these batteries and how they're used. Not quite sure what to make of this situation just yet. Perhaps the new batteries will fare better. At least they'll be free if they fail before 3 years.

Any suggestions???? Tired of my car dying every other day!!!!

Hey Coach welcome back... if they've already replaced the 12V battery then obviously there's still something draining it that didn't used to be there - this brought to mind one of the Special Service Messages that GrySql posted a while back, and I think someone wrote that they too had a 12V battery go bad and the cause was fixed by the below -- so if your car gives some of the trouble codes noted in the below linked SSM, maybe this is a player. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/9354-special-service-messages-ssms/?p=88036

The HVB being at -0- with an immediate ICE start should not be related to your issue, that sounds like something

draining the 12V. I do get this issue periodically and have no idea what is draining the HVB when I go into work.

Only happens once in a while - probably a fan or water pump (although I hear nothing running) and when I come

back it is at nearly -0- or nearly nothing. What is going on with this, but I am pretty sure is normal?

I had the battery saver 12V issue too over a year ago. This was fixed for me with a new top of the line Ford Max

12V battery and a reprogramming of cold weather charging. Never occurred after that. But yours sounds "parasitic"

for sure and the water under the seat is bizarre....

Are you absolutely sure your 12V was changed for a new one? The 12V batteries that came from the factory, the

originals, were absolute junk.

Did coach81 purchase this car new? There have been an awful lot of vehicle floodings in natural disasters the last few years and there is no reliable system for identifying those cars.

Did coach81 purchase this car new? There have been an awful lot of vehicle floodings in natural disasters the last few years and there is no reliable system for identifying those cars.

Yes, he was one of our group that was anxiously awaiting our 2013 FFHs back in late 2012 and early 2013.

Wondering if maybe I should take it to a Nissan dealership and "swap it out" for a '16 Leaf?????

A co-worker of mine has one of those, and is frustrated at watching the battery degradation as has been the common frustration for other Leaf owners.

So you could always transition to a Fusion Energi which is probably good for your needs and there are good deals on those now (I had one of those for 2 years, wife has had one for over 3 years), or a Chevy Volt (I have one of those now) and that may also work for you -- I drive a lot of miles and have had the Volt for 10 months and 32k miles and still on 3/4 tank of gas from delivery last year.

Edited by jeff_h

I test drove a new Leaf last summer in SW Florida. The car was heat-soaked and I drove it 7 miles on local streets and the interstate. It was a very competent car and nice to drive. The AC was powerful. It used 10 miles of battery range in that 7 mile drive but that's not surprising with the heat. They improved the HVB chemistry, I believe in 2015, but it's still not actively cooled. Early used Leaf's are way below $10k and they have a HVB replacement for about $5+K. Their sales have tanked with the Tesla Model 3 introduction.

Jeff, given that your gasoline is getting old, have you put fuel stabilizer into it?

Does the Volt have a fuel burn program like the Energi? The Energi, after 18 months, will force burn the fuel down to about 1/8 of a tank.

No, it has Engine Maintenance Mode (EMM) that runs the engine for a few minutes every 6 weeks, and then at the 12 month point there will be Fuel Maintenance Mode (FMM) similar to the Energi's 18-month interval that will force the ICE to run and burn fuel before it gets stale.

Just remember it will only go considerably less than 100 miles on the freeway with the AC on. Also consider one just off lease or maybe one that's really cheap and you can put a new battery in. They won't have the $7500 tax credit.

I have a reservation for a Tesla Model 3 ( a few years from now ).

Edited by lolder