mrobinso8

Dead 12 Volt Battery - 2013 Fusion Hybrid

Another 10 days have passed since I'd charged my LVB and things have slowly returned to the '2 second shutdown' mode for my 12v accessories.

For one week I had to shut off my 12v accessories, then every so often they'd shut down quickly. Right now there is about a 80% chance of getting the rapid accessory shutdown, it's random and I really can't identify a driving pattern that will prevent it.

Maybe I should put the Battery Tender on it more often but that is an annoyance.

I meant to ask you, is this the original stock battery from Ford as it came from the factory? 2.5 years old for you now.

They have never replaced it? Now that I have the new version of the battery, it is as good as it every was.

I get a full 9 minutes of usage after shutdown of the engine. I had been using the battery tender too and while

that may solve the issue in the short term (as it did for me), that ultimately destroys the battery. I really

had the same experience overall. Question is - what battery are you on?

I've had a lawyer in PA contact me about Ford Fusion issues - for the lemon law. I explained the battery

problems and how many times (3 or 4) I had it to them to finally get it fixed and they tell me I have a case

- likely would get money from Ford.

I've had a lawyer in PA contact me about Ford Fusion issues - for the lemon law. I explained the battery

problems and how many times (3 or 4) I had it to them to finally get it fixed and they tell me I have a case

- likely would get money from Ford.

The lawyer is likely to come out even better. If this is a class action law suit the lawyer is pursuing, then this can be very lucrative for the lawyers with minimal compensation for the individual plaintiffs.

I meant to ask you, is this the original stock battery from Ford as it came from the factory? 2.5 years old for you now.

This is old battery #1, the original. I don't get a BS message, it sat parked for a week and started.

I had it checked at a Ford Dealer just before it hit 36k miles and they reported it as good and was still rated at about 365 CCA.

Go figure.

Next time I'm at my primary Dealer (65 miles away) that has $48 in my Owners Advantage account, I'll have it replaced and have the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) reset after the new battery is connected.

Another possible Dead 12v battery solution, My radio stopped working and had Ford check it and they said it was the Radio Audio Module when bad and was draining the 12v battery. My 12v was dead and I had to jump it. It took a week to get the part and fix it.

Well I had the Radio Audio Module replaced yesterday and everything seems to be working fine and I checked my 12v batt. this morning and it was reading 12.2v instead of 10-11v. Looks like this a possible solution for dead battery problem.yahoo.gif

Paul

I left my car at the airport again for a 10 day trip. This time, it is in covered parking where the sun can't hit my solar charger. I return on Sunday night. I hope my car starts.

I was thinking about this topic. My radio works fine and have left it for days with a starting problem.

The oddball thing is that since I've charged my 12v battery twice with my battery charger it can't make up it's mind.

Some of the time my 12v power outlets stay on for a good long time, then other times it's the old 10 second shut down of my GPS and Dash Cam.

There is no rhyme or reason, short trips or long trips, it might be either way when I shut the car off.

Barsoom, good luck, hope it starts.

I just came back from a 3day trip to a complete dead car. What a pain in the butt to get to the battery to jump it since everything is dead. I had the stock battery so it lasted 3 years guess its time to get it replaced

Yea, clearly for the 2013s, there were either a bad batch of batteries, or there is a design issue with this battery.

The car may be putting extra load on it when not in use, but many of us have had them go bad in the 2-3 year

window.

You've earned yourself a full warranty replacement! I was told if the battery or a cell tests bad, it's a warranty replacement.

Not sure if there is a 3 year limit on that, but if you live in a cold climate, you may want to mention the TSB for cold weather

charging as well.

About $120 for just the battery where the newer one is much better and a new design. I am hopefully confident that it

will hold up much better than the stock one.

It appears that my dead battery problem was caused by Radio Audio Module, it was shorting out. And my battery came back to life like it was before, almost 3yrs old. Hadn't heard they have a new battery. :)

Paul

Well add my '13 FFH to the list of 12V battery failures.

Went outside this to drive to the office for the first time in two weeks and nothing... didn't even unlock.

I didn't feel like messing with it @ 6 AM so I telecommuted like I have been doing more often lately.

Got back to it later this morning and hooked it up to the battery charger and left it for a good 5 hrs or so.

Checked back and the charger showed the "battery is dead light". Called my dealer for a new battery but they wanted me to drive over so I jump started mine.

They "tested" (within less the 5min) the battery and said it's good and charging. I said no no that battery is no good anymore and they happily replaced it with me paying $120 for a new one.

At least I now no longer have the fear to be stranded somewhere with a dead battery (until this one dies I guess).

Hopefully I don't have to see that damn BS message anymore.

They "tested" (within less the 5min) the battery and said it's good and charging. I said no no that battery is no good anymore and they happily replaced it with me paying $120 for a new one.

Did they test it per the procedures outlined in the service manual specific to the hybrids? I doubt that could happen in 5 minutes.

Yes, simple voltage test and the battery is fine, take it out and do a load test and it likely would fail.

Why they don't get this, I have no idea. That was my experience. You have to ask them. Went

3 times for my, at the final dealer I insisted on the load test and mentioned the TSB - ah, the battery

was bad and they replaced it for free.

Did they test it per the procedures outlined in the service manual specific to the hybrids? I doubt that could happen in 5 minutes.

No way they did. I'm not even sure if they didn't just use the engineering test mode to look at the batteries current status. I'm not if there's a status but they left screen was changed when I picked it up.

I was in a slight time crunch so I didn't start a discussion about TSB or load testing it.

On a side note apparently all recalls can be performed including the restrain control module.

Experienced the issue in my 2013 FFH after the key was turned off where the infotainment system wouldn't even stay on before opening the door and would shut down to "save power" every single time. The dealer "tested" the battery and it said it was fine, but I pushed back and they replaced it for free just to be safe. No more issues, I don't trust their tests. I think they are not testing for the correct threshold for this vehicle or something...

And so with the new year we're on the 13th page of this thread. Ford is pushing ahead with electric cars but apparently they don't do well with 100 year old battery technology.

And so with the new year we're on the 13th page of this thread. Ford is pushing ahead with electric cars but apparently they don't do well with 100 year old battery technology.

They have the power to fix the problem but they choose no to do it. A wet cell lead acid battery is the wrong battery for the hybrid car. Wet cell batteries were designed to provide very high current for maybe 15 seconds to crank an engine. The hybrid does not need this capability. The hybrid needs a battery that can provide a low current for a long time with very little drop in voltage. That battery is a deep cycle battery. I replaced the wet cell battery in my Energi with an AGM battery over two years ago and have not had a dead battery problem since. The AGM battery cost me twice what the wet cell battery replacement costs.

The reality is that the original battery in the hybrids is an absolutely piece of junk by any standard,

the fact that the electrical of that car stresses it even more just compounds the problems as many

of us have seen. Now we are going on 3 years for the 2013s and that's the lifetime of that battery

anyway. Ford's engineering mistake for sure. They don't even sell the original version anymore I

think.

The Ford MAX premium battery that they replaced mine with is obviously much much better, no issues at all.

That's why they sell 3 grades of batteries within a brand - quality of materials, specs, design, etc.

Make sure you get this series if you get free or pay for a replacement.

https://www.fordparts.com/Products/Batteries-MotorcraftTestedToughMAXBatteries.aspx

Even a deep cycle wet cell would be better. I don't know how the FFH batteries are constructed so they actually may be closer to deep cycle but they missed the target in any case.

Did they improve the battery for later-than-2013 model years> I've had no battery problems with my 2015 FFH.

They don't even sell the original version anymore I

think.

The Ford MAX premium battery that they replaced mine with is obviously much much better, no issues at all.

That's why they sell 3 grades of batteries within a brand - quality of materials, specs, design, etc.

Make sure you get this series if you get free or pay for a replacement.

https://www.fordparts.com/Products/Batteries-MotorcraftTestedToughMAXBatteries.aspx

Did they improve the battery for later-than-2013 model years> I've had no battery problems with my 2015 FFH.

Either that or they have improved the battery management software. So far I have not had issues with my 2015 either (22,000 miles).

Unclear when they started to ship from the factory with the improved batteries. I suspect it was mostly the

version in the 2013s as the fixed battery came out shortly into 2013. They also improved the charging and

also a cold weather charging TSB (may be the same thing). But it was mostly the battery if you ask me.

I am curious if somebody with a 2014+ hybrid checks their battery and can tell if it says Max or not.

Here's a pic of the 12v battery in my 2015 FFH. I don't see "Max" on it.

post-13031-0-52548000-1452461045_thumb.jpg