mrobinso8

Dead 12 Volt Battery - 2013 Fusion Hybrid

Insist they replace the battery under warranty. This is the single largest complaint about these cars and the dealer knows it. This has been going on for the five years the Gen II and GEn III (2010+) hybrids have been sold. The cars have a larger load when off than past vehicles, the battery is small and they may sit weeks in Mexico or on rail cars or on lots without proper charging. New software at the factory reduces the load until the dealer changes it but who knows how that is being managed.

2014 Fusion Hybrid, 4 months old, 4K miles. About a month ago, car was dead. Dead dead. Called Ford roadside assistance, jumped it and it was fine, took it to the dealer anyways, they ran a "intensive" battery test, said it took several hours. They found nothing. the final determination was 1. it was kinda cold (about 25 degrees the night before) 2. just a "glitch". I was less than thrilled with the stellar commitment Ford had to getting to the bottom of the issue.

This morning woke to the same issue. No lights, no nothing. Call roadside assistance again, insisting to not jump it and deliver it to the dealership in the same condition that I woke to...dead. Sadly, the tow truck driver needed to jump the car to be able to put the car in neutral.

I am thrilled to pieces. Some please tell me this is going to get better.

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the forum!

I want to loop in your customer service manager on this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name (if it's not your username), and dealer name/location.

Meagan

Speaking of killing batteries, while towing my HyTi behind my rv to AZ from Canada, my 12v discharged enough daily in freezing temps while towing, I had to purchase a portable booster so I could perform the tow procedure the next morning. Three mornings! Once the temps got reasonable, all was well. The reason - the heater behind the rear view mirror was active the whole time the ignition was off and the car was in neutral. I know this because of the two bare spots on the windshield in front of the mirror while the rest was covered in snow and ice. I haven't gone to a dealer in Scottsdale yet as that is a 30 mile drive from where we are. ( Closest one).

This didn't happen last year and all that has been changed is the reprogramming of the module that controls the A/C and defrosting items - seat heaters, side mirrors etc.- on remote start. My A/C button does shut the compressor off and on though. lol

This might have to wait until I get back to cold temps in the spring "so the tech can verify the problem" as this one on the surface is really hard to display in the climate here. Or may be Ford will figure out they fixed one problem but created another in the process.

I didn't check the voltage of the battery while "dead" but I doubt if it was fully discharged even though the car was totally black. The battery and car have performed as if nothing happened. I suspect there is a charge level below which the car kills everything as even none of the LEDs were lit.

hybridbear

I realise the purpose but it shouldn't operate while the pushbutton ignition is off, essentially killing the car. There were defintely 2 spots, one is the lane assist camera - the lens really visible- and the other is about 2 inches above. I can't see anything there but it was definitely melted. Might be a light sensor for the auto high beams or alien detector for driving through New Mexico.

Nikki

I've got 35654 kms and I'll be using AutoNation Scottsdale on Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd.

I'll be trying to get it in late this week or early next week. Thanks in advance.

hybridbear

Towing as per the manual leads one to believe the car is off. Start the car, run ICE for 1 minute, put transmission in neutral and select car off. The dash whines at you that the transmission is not in park but that stops after about a minute. Then the dash goes dark just as it would if shut down in park. If it had a key it would be off but you could not remove the key while in neutral.

Hi Meagan,

The messages stopped the next day and so I did not bother with a trip to the dealer. It has just started happening again so I'll mention it in the visit for the upcoming Oil Change.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Sounds good! When you head to the appointment, also send over your mileage. :)

Meagan

This car has a massive battery in it, so why cant a small portion of it be used to power the 12V systems instead of having a starter battery, completely out of place in this car, doing it? We already know the DC/DC converter runs the 12V systems once the car is powered on,but how about an isolation circuit to eliminate the 12v wet battery altogether? How about build in a series of Lion cells to provide the 12V power right into the main pack? Could even save a few pounds over the heavy lead/acid battery.

I (and others) have had this exact issue with the 12V battery. I had 2 dealers check my battery and they say it was fine - both before

I did the below and I was getting the 2 second shutoff as well. Both dealers told me the same thing - the battery was 100% fine and

it would not be replaced under warranty unless it came back showing a bad cell - which it did not.

That was in the coldest weather driving a short commute. I put the battery on a tender, topped it off over night and have not had

the problem since in over a month. Don't want to have to do this often, but will likely have to live with this way or I pay for a new

battery myself.

I've had my hybrid since March 2013 and have seen this before, but it resolved itself; now it's back and I've seen the 12V battery voltage drop from 13.7V when I shut the car off to 10.4V just 4 hours later. Nothing plugged in, no lights on, and I get about 2 seconds of accessory mode when I shut off the car before it goes into power saver mode. I'm going to the dealer on Saturday in the hopes that they'll swap out the battery and that'll take care of it. Is there anything in particular I should mention or anything else I should know about the issue beforehand? Does this fix still seem to be working for most cases? Thanks.

Hi swright.

Let me know how your dealer trip goes, I want to see how I can shed some light on the subject. Also, please let me know your mileage. :)

I (and others) have had this exact issue with the 12V battery. I had 2 dealers check my battery and they say it was fine - both before

I did the below and I was getting the 2 second shutoff as well. Both dealers told me the same thing - the battery was 100% fine and

it would not be replaced under warranty unless it came back showing a bad cell - which it did not.

That was in the coldest weather driving a short commute. I put the battery on a tender, topped it off over night and have not had

the problem since in over a month. Don't want to have to do this often, but will likely have to live with this way or I pay for a new

battery myself.

Hi smr2112,

When was your most recent to the dealer for this? I'm happy to hear it hasn't happened in a month. If the symptoms return, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. :)

Meagan