Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Dead 12 Volt Battery - 2013 Fusion Hybrid

12 volt battery starting problem

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 88 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:13 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Today I took my almost 4 week old 2013 Fusion Hybrid to the dealer.  Kept getting Battery Saver messages when shutting down the car.  Also, could not run the radio in accessory mode with out being told to turn off power to save the battery.  Took to the dealer and told them the 12 volt was bad.  They said the symptoms were normal.  I know this was not true since they were similar symptoms to what my wife had in her 2012 C-Max.  In its first month it had been jump started 3 times.  Spent a week in the dealer for a new module that controlled the brakes.  Did not fix problem.  On third trip they checked the battery and it fail all tests.  Was replaced and all seems fine.  Today they check and found my 12 volt failed the tests and that the computer reported a spike to the radio system.  They replaced the battery and I go in the 22nd to see the "radio man" who comes in twice a week.  Apparently he goes around to several Ford dealers.

The battery problem apparently is fairly common.  The Sales Manager said he would make them replace the battery regardless of their findings.  Real cooperative and apparently is aware of the issue.  The C-Max forum reports quite a few battery problems.  See http://fordcmaxhybri...e-tsbs-recalls/

or http://fordcmaxhybri...1-battery-dead/

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Seems Ford got a bunch of bad batteries. Wonder what else they got that were bad besides batteries and headlights. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#3 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Seems Ford got a bunch of bad batteries. Wonder what else they got that were bad besides batteries and headlights. 

Bad batteries, or regular batteries that sat in TBD-land for too long?  I wonder how long the OP's car took from build to delivery?

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#4 OFFLINE   Kaleido

Kaleido

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 109 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I too was getting Battery Saver messages when shutting down, my dealer checked my battery thoroughly, about a 45 min test. My battery tests fine but service said the warning message comes on if you spend too much time playing with your settings without the motor running to keep it charged up. It is a small battery. My car only took five weeks to build, from when I ordered it to when I picked it up, so the battery wasn't sitting around that long either.  Since I got all my settings right now and I don't  spend too much time playing around without it running, I never get the Battery Saver messages anymore.  Got 600 miles and it's three weeks old.

#5 OFFLINE   coach81

coach81

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 609 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'13 FFH Silver Ingot / Black Leather Tech, Nav, Moon, Rev Sens, Lane Keep Asst. I love it!!!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

*GULP*

'13 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Ordered 10-26-12 Picked up 1-10-13
Luxury, Moon, Navi, Driver Assist, Rev Sense
Ingot Silver, Black Leather

Current Favorite Feature- Lane keep assist
First full tank MPG- over 53!!!

#6 OFFLINE   lmp180psu

lmp180psu

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 118 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I had the battery saver message come up the 2nd day i was playing around with the settings, but not since.

2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid

• Ruby Red Metallic

• MyFordTouch Technology Package

• Appearance Package

• Moonroof

Ordered: 10/26/12

Build Date: 11/29/12

Delivery Date: 12/22/12 smile.png

160701.png

#7 OFFLINE   shaggy314

shaggy314

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 128 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'93 Integra, Fusion Energi

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

There is a LOT of talk about CMax's having 12vt. battery problems too, some up to 7 pages.

178794.png178796.png

Fusion Energi [P0S, J4, 800A, 53B, 60N, 13B]

Ordered: 10-Jan-2013

Built: 24-May-2013

Delivered: 7-JUN-2013 (149 days)

#8 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

I was at my dealer today. They were busy clearing the snow and had to move all the cars, and had to jump start quite a few of them.

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   darlintr

darlintr

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I too have the battery saver problem with a one month old Fusion Hybrid.  The worst annoyance is that you can not work with the navigation system in the garage.  My dealer has not found a solution.  In fact, he demonstrated that a new Fusion Hybrid in the showroom exibited the same problem, not being able to access the radio or navigation system with the key in the accessory position.  The key had to be put in ready-to-drive to have them work.  This is not a good idea in a closed showroom when the engine starts.  It is not clear to us whether this behavior is a system fault or a design problem with the battery management system. We hope to get an explantion from Ford.

#10 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,841 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

The ICE of these cars in "P" with the car "on" only runs about %15 of the time with the HVAC off. They put out very little CO and having it run a total of 10 minutes every hour you are playing with it in a garage is probably not a problem. It is hard to gas yourself with modern cars. Crack the garage door a little if you are worried.

• jeff_h, B25Nut and hybridbear like this

#11 OFFLINE   darlintr

darlintr

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

My concern is that the BMS is not operating or designed correctly.  The accessory key position is designed to allow operation of the car's accessories without "starting" the engine.  I do not think Ford wanted you to operate the accessories  with the engine running in a confined space.  Something is not working correctly.

#12 OFFLINE   Kaleido

Kaleido

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

I too was getting Battery Saver messages when shutting down, my dealer checked my battery thoroughly, about a 45 min test. My battery tests fine but service said the warning message comes on if you spend too much time playing with your settings without the motor running to keep it charged up. It is a small battery. My car only took five weeks to build, from when I ordered it to when I picked it up, so the battery wasn't sitting around that long either.  Since I got all my settings right now and I don't  spend too much time playing around without it running, I never get the Battery Saver messages anymore.  Got 600 miles and it's three weeks old.

Update.... my Battery Saver messages are back now at 2000 miles. My power window problem is back too. I've been reading that they are most likely related, the power windows "lose their memory" when the battery gets low and they have to be reset to restore the one touch up feature. I'm thinking of getting a better battery than the original, I just hope it's not the charging systems fault.

#13 OFFLINE   neod192

neod192

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,105 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

I heard about some problems with the battery on the C-max. Maybe some Fusions have the same problem? Check that your battery is the one that should be in the car before you go out buying a new one on your own.

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium << -- click for the picture gallery

- Deep Impact Blue

- 18" Polished Face with Flash Greay-Painted Pockets Wheels

- Moonroof with Universal Garage Door Opener

- Driver Assist Package

- Voice-Activated Navigation

- Active Park Assist with Forward Sensing System

- Adaptive Cruise Control

Ordered: 11/19/12 | VIN Assigned: 2/28/13 | Build Date: 3/21/13 | ETA: 4/6/13 | Delivery Date: April 5th, 2013 !!!

196622.png

#14 OFFLINE   shaggy314

shaggy314

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 128 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'93 Integra, Fusion Energi

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

The ICE of these cars in "P" with the car "on" only runs about %15 of the time with the HVAC off. They put out very little CO and having it run a total of 10 minutes every hour you are playing with it in a garage is probably not a problem. It is hard to gas yourself with modern cars. Crack the garage door a little if you are worried.

:redcard:  As with any toxic gas, you can never be cautious enough. NEVER run your car with an even slightly closed door.

• expresspotato likes this

178794.png178796.png

Fusion Energi [P0S, J4, 800A, 53B, 60N, 13B]

Ordered: 10-Jan-2013

Built: 24-May-2013

Delivered: 7-JUN-2013 (149 days)

#15 OFFLINE   darlintr

darlintr

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I too have the battery saver problem with a one month old Fusion Hybrid.  The worst annoyance is that you can not work with the navigation system in the garage.  My dealer has not found a solution.  In fact, he demonstrated that a new Fusion Hybrid in the showroom exibited the same problem, not being able to access the radio or navigation system with the key in the accessory position.  The key had to be put in ready-to-drive to have them work.  This is not a good idea in a closed showroom when the engine starts.  It is not clear to us whether this behavior is a system fault or a design problem with the battery management system. We hope to get an explantion from Ford.

Today the Ford factory rep recommended the dealer replace the 12v battery.  Let you know how it works out in a few days.

#16 OFFLINE   darlintr

darlintr

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

After four days since battery replacement and any other required resetting of the battery management system ,  there are no error massages on the big screen or left console.  Maybe problem solved!

• shaggy314 likes this

#17 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

Sounds like it.  I do believe Ford received a load of batteries that are not doing well.  There were a couple cars on the dealers lot that had dead batteries, and they just received them. 

Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 88 posts
  • Current Vehicle:13 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

My 2013 Fusion Hybrid had its 12 volt battery replaced Jan 18. Was unable to play radio or enter navigation destinations without the "Battery Saver" shutting down the dash. After the new battery worked fine until yesterday when I switched the car to accessory mode prior to starting car. Battery Saver notice again, noise like crumbling paper, and shutdown. When car started radio came on vice the USB that was playing before. All radio and Sirius station settings were lost. Back to dealer again on Friday for further analysis. Between this and my wife's C-Max battery replacement we feel at home at our Ford dealer.

#19 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

When both cars go into EV+ going past the dealer, then you will know for sure!

• SoCalFusion likes this

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   Fastronaut

Fastronaut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 420 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Just curious.  For you folks who have had the battery problems, what was your build date?  From what I'm reading, this may not be a bad batch of batteries if both older and newer build dates are involved.

250421.png

(HIS) 2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium - Deep Impact Blue Metallic
  • Driver Assist Package (90A), Voice Activated Navigation (60N)
  • Active Park Assist (18C), Moon Roof (13B)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (53B), WeatherTech FloorLiner All-Weather Mats
  • Trunk Cargo Net (96B), Heated/Cooled Front Seats (46B), Heated Steering Wheel (52A)
Ordered: 10/28/13 | VIN assigned: 10/31/13 | Window Sticker: 11/13/13 | Actual Build Date: 11/21/13 | In-Transit: 11/23/13 | ETA: 12/14/13 | Arrived at CSX Facility: 12/05/13 | Arrived at Dealer: 12/09/13 | Delivered: 12/11/13

220431.png

(HERS) 2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium - Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat
  • Driver Assist Package (90A), Voice Activated Navigation (60N)
  • Active Park Assist (18C), Moon Roof (13B)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (53B), WeatherTech FloorLiner All-Weather Mats
  • Trunk Cargo Net (96B)
Ordered: 11/06/12 | VIN assigned: 2/28/13 | Window Sticker: 3/28/13 | Actual Build Date: 04/06/13 | In-Transit: 4/17/13 | ETA: 5/07/13 | Arrived at CSX Facility: 4/29/13 | Arrived at Dealer: 5/02/13 | Delivered: 5/03/13 | Tagged: 5/06/13 | Major Failure in for Service: 5/13/13 | Lemon Law Replacement Vehicle Received: 6/17/13

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 12 volt, battery, starting problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·