coach81

Car cleaning materials bought. Wash inc this weekend!

Spent about $60 on wash, wax, interior...etc. this weekend if weather permits gonna wash Silvia inside and out. Will try to post a few pics when I'm done. Honeymoon is still going strong!!!

I got sucked into getting the whole car 'sealed' inside and out, before I picked it up.

Came with a 5 year warranty and a fancy certificate, woo boy.

My brother had it done to his '09 VW TDI when he bought it new and swears by it, so I was influenced to spend the $.

So far, it is pretty slippery, water beads and rolls off - easy to just hose off and wipe dry.

It's a new concept to me, the test is time.

I washed and waxed today, and of course had to raise the hood to wipe off the wax from the edges...

But when I raised the hood I noticed something that I overlooked yesterday - the cover for my fusebox was not latched on either side and so the cover was just resting/riding/bouncing on top of the fusebox - I doubt that the dealer had any reason to mess with this, so I assume that as it went through assembly it didn't get latched properly.

So just a heads up for those who care to raise the hood and double-check theirs.

Edited by jeff_h

I washed and waxed today, and of course had to raise the hood to wipe off the wax from the edges...

But when I raised the hood I noticed something that I overlooked yesterday - the cover for my fusebox was not latched on either side and so the cover was just resting/riding/bouncing on top of the fusebox - I doubt that the dealer had any reason to mess with this, so I assume that as it went through assembly it didn't get latched properly.

So just a heads up for those who care to raise the hood and double-check theirs.

Thanks for the heads up. Will check mine tomorrow.

Coach - Had a perfect day today weather wise. How did the clean and shine go? What products did yiou end up using?

Thanks for the heads up. Will check mine tomorrow.

Coach - Had a perfect day today weather wise. How did the clean and shine go? What products did yiou end up using?

It went PERFECT.. used all Meguiar's materials.. check my photo gallery... here is one of my favs...

It went PERFECT.. used all Meguiar's materials.. check my photo gallery... here is one of my favs...

Looks great Coach! I did the same for my car, and then the same for my wife's 2010 Edge... and from reading posts here I decided to give the clay bar treatment on her 3-yr-old car... WOW I had no idea there was so much grub on there, sliding the hand across the finish 'before' the claying was very rough, like very fine sandpaper.. but the 'after' was MUCH smoother. So thanks to Bailey151 and Akirby for their posts, got me into gear and the claying was definitely needed.

Now you have a whole bunch of FFH owners lifting their hoods. Including me. :worship:

I did the same thing. All fluids looked good. The only thing I had to do was remove the blue sticker from the Hybrid badge in the engine bay.

When weather permits, going to clay and Zaino the car, provided I still have it by then. I did the Z treatment on my F150 and it was still slick and shiny when I traded it 6 months later. I had treated another car with the Z and it went a couple years before i needed to clay and reapply it again. I bought a batch of it in 2000, still have half of it left.

As far as under hood, you would think by now there would be hood struts instead of a prop. To me a hood prop is for a compact car like a fiesta, not a midsize sedan. Heck the Prius had hood struts!

I did the same thing. All fluids looked good. The only thing I had to do was remove the blue sticker from the Hybrid badge in the engine bay.

For some reason they don't remove the protective strip from the "hybrid" under the hood. I had them leave the film over the touch screen as I immediately installed a NuShield protector on it.

Edited by hermans

For some reason they don't remove the protective strip from the "hybrid" under the hood. I had them leave the film over the touch screen as I immediately installed a NuShield protector on it.

I noticed that too when I was under there pulling a plug.

I used the "Nu-shield" also for my screen... I'm just weird like that.. LOL...

Some say the screen protector is a waste. I like it as you are cleaning the protector not the screen face. If the protector gets scratched for some reason or another......you buy a new protector. If the screen gets scratched you buy a new......holy crap that thing is expensive.

The NuShield really does cut the glare. For about 16 bucks you can't go wrong.

For about 16 bucks you can't go wrong.

One of the first things I did was slap a screen cover on, didn't interfere with the touch function and cuts the glare.

To me, it's cheap preventative maintenance.

Yeah it looks great one day, then weather takes a turn and things change.... see the custom white accent stripe I put on mine over the past few days -- also dabbed some decor on the front as well.

post-4168-0-67878000-1359334494_thumb.jpg

After today's wash it looks nice again (popped the hood in the pic as salt had gotten inside there too), but tomorrow is freezing rain and sleet so the white stripe will be back soon.

Edited by jeff_h

see the custom white accent stripe I put on mine over the past few days -- also dabbed some decor on the front as well.

Would splash guards help with that at all?

Would splash guards help with that at all?

I think it would help somewhat and I'm going to take a look at those, however with the daily trips with multi-lane interstate there is always spray from the car to the side as well.

One of the first things I did after we received our Fusion was wax it. I want to wax it again soon with the harshness of our winter in MN and all the salt on the roads

Yeah it looks great one day, then weather takes a turn and things change.... see the custom white accent stripe I put on mine over the past few days -- also dabbed some decor on the front as well.

attachicon.gifSalty_Red_FFH.jpg

After today's wash it looks nice again (popped the hood in the pic as salt had gotten inside there too), but tomorrow is freezing rain and sleet so the white stripe will be back soon.

brrrrrrrrrr

Rained this week.... Got spots on Sylvia..... Time to wash her again!!! :)