GrySql

Wireless, MFT, 3.5.1, SYNC and now 3.6.2

You would think that was something they would do, but guess that thinking was outside of their box.

Will the dealers be trained on this someday? I take it this isn't part of there overview when you pick up the car.

Will the dealers be trained on this someday? I take it this isn't part of there overview when you pick up the car.

They do a high level overview of MFT, like how to use the climate pair a phone, use the radio, etc. They don't go into this level of detail :)

Interesting I have 3.5.1 as well and had no problem with the keyboard and typing in my wireless password.

The only pain is that caps is always active when you switch between letters and numbers.

Do see the screen to enter a password after you selected your network and hit connect?

It starts with the num pad...I tried to add some screen shot but something went wrong.

It has been quite a while since I tried to make wireless work in my FFH but decided to try again tonight.

My FFH has had 3.6.2 for a long time and the keyboard was always greyed-out, not accessible.

Tonight the keyboard was available for the first time, look at the dates of these old posts!

It works as advertised in page 364 of the 2013 Owner's Manual.

Why now? I haven't a clue.

I now have a Sync wireless internet connection in the car that I can use as a hotspot for my iPhones or iPads.

I tried to connect to my home network using WPA2 and my password, success.

After that I used the "Gateway (Access Point) Mode to make SYNC an access point for a phone or a computer by turning this feature on. This forms the local area network within the vehicle for things, such as game playing, file transfer, internet browsing, etc."

I made my own Sync Security password on the MFT screen, added that to my iPhone and selected it as my internet provider and I can connect to the internet using Sync.

I have a Gateway Device list now to see who/what is connected to my Sync wireless signal.

Amazing.

I wonder what was missing before, was it pilot error or did something change.

Many others had a greyed-out keyboard besides me.

I just had the FCIM re-programmed 2 weeks ago but doubt that was it.

How many characters are in the wireless key for your home network? It has always worked for me but the car will not allow entering more than 10 characters for the home network wireless key. The specification for WPA2 wireless keys is up to 63 characters. I complained to Ford and was told it was limited to 10 characters for security reasons. That's one of the stupidest answers I have ever received. It has been a year since 3.6.2 was introduced and there has been no indication that there will be another update.

Edited by murphy

You are correct, only 10 characters can be entered. I shortened my home network password to accommodate that Sync connection to my car.

I've since put it back to what it was and severed that Sync link to my home network.

However, the Sync internet gateway connection has it's own password (it came with a generic one but I made my own) and my iPad and iPhone still connect to the internet thru it, while the car is in the garage.

Today I am going to drive the car and see if the Sync network internet connect works while underway.

I am not the least bit clear on how/why this system works.

I'm just looking at the OM and following directions on the MFT screen.

I started this last night after reading a Post in a Ford Flex forum with a guy saying he has a Sync internet gateway while driving on the road.

Edited by GrySql

Rats...

No joy for Sync internet access while driving so far.

This not being a specialty of mine I can't figure out why it's showing all the Sync TCP/IP info on my portable devices but won't allow them internet access.

Hello Kim.....

Edited by GrySql

Rats...

No joy for Sync internet access while driving so far.

This not being a specialty of mine I can't figure out why it's showing all the Sync TCP/IP info on my portable devices but won't allow them internet access.

Hello Kim.....

Do you have the tethering option from your cellphone carrier? If not you won't be able to share your internet access thru sync.

I don't have it otherwise I would have already tested it ;)

I used to have the Sprint iPhone Hotspot option but dropped it.

Sprint does not allow iPhone 'tethering' without paying for the Hotspot option.

When I had that option I sure didn't a need a Sync interface, just more complications.

I still wonder why my MFT Sync wireless screen shows all the TCP/IP data as though it is connected to the internet.

All it can be used for is to let two or more occupants of your car connect their devices to each other (multiplayer games?)

There is supposed to be a mode where you can plug in a cell phone data dongle to a USB port and get internet while underway. To my knowledge Ford never qualified any cell phone data dongles.

I was reading the Ford Flex Forum and spotted this from their Ford IVTeam Rep Antonio:

"The Wi-Fi capabilities were intended to be used with a USB broadband device, though there is certainly consideration for other creative means of leveraging the technology. The main utility is being able to take a USB broadband device - which is intended to provide internet access for one computer - then share the signal across several devices via a mobile wireless hotspot."

In other words, it has very limited capability and for the most part is useless. With only a 10 character password the internet security is pretty weak too.

That is unless Kim can pull a rabbit out of the hat and find some practical application other what is mentioned above.

I have never understood what all this functionality can do. I think I'm understanding two parts though...

1) the car can connect to a WiFi network if it's within range, such as while in your garage

But what can the car then do with that connection?

2) the car can tether to your smart phone and broadcast a WiFi signal that can be used by other occupants in the vehicle

But why do you need this? If your cell phone allows data tethering then you can just broadcast a WiFi network from your cell phone directly rather than going through the car.

Or am I completely misunderstanding this?

I have never understood what all this functionality can do. I think I'm understanding two parts though...

1) the car can connect to a WiFi network if it's within range, such as while in your garage

2) the car can tether to your smart phone and broadcast a WiFi signal that can be used by other occupants in the vehicle

More like a lack of functionality. Yes on #1 & #2 - but as you say, why use it?.

Additionally, a USB modem can be plugged into the consoles USB port and supposedly Sync can create an internet Access Point for occupants.

Which is a very rare thing these days to account for all that Sync software packed into MFT.

I'm thinking that Ford is very cautious about using the internet in the cars because of the liability of hacking.

Look at this older article and near the bottom under 'Unauthorized Apps' it mentions Fords MFT.

Edited by GrySql

But what can the car then do with that connection?

But why do you need this? If your cell phone allows data tethering then you can just broadcast a WiFi network from your cell phone directly rather than going through the car.

Or am I completely misunderstanding this?

An answer to #1 would be very interesting. It would be very cool if the FFH would show up as network connection and you would be able to access the SD card in order to change/ update music for example.

Setting up the Sync as a Network Client can only be done in Park with car running.

As per your question, using the MFT screen at Wireless Settings I set the Sync to WPA2 with a password, more than 10 characters this time (?) and left the car running in the garage.

Back in the house and using my iMac I logged off my Home Network and looked for another Network, there was the Sync Network asking for a password.

I entered the password I'd created on the MFT screen and my iMac logged into the Sync Network, I'm typing on it now.

What do I do now, I'm in over my head?

I better go turn the car off before I forget....

ScreenShot2014-08-16at84248PM_zps504b060

Edited by GrySql

Somewhere, I don't remember where, I read that the WiFi capability is used to configure the car as it is moving down the assembly line. Once completed that link is permanently blocked.

This raises an interesting question. The Energi has a built in AT&T data connection that is used with MyFordMobile to provide various capabilities from a smartphone and a computer.

It is likely that the hardware chip that provides the data connection also provides the WiFi. Does an FFH have the hardware for the AT&T data connection but it is permanently disabled?

There is supposed to be a mode where you can plug in a cell phone data dongle to a USB port and get internet while underway. To my knowledge Ford never qualified any cell phone data dongles.

I started a thread in May 2013 titled USB Internet stick so My Ford Touch creates WiFi Hotspot. I had a few chats on Facebook with Rebecca at Ford and she told me the only USB modem they had found to work was the ATT USBConnect Mercury/Sierra Wireless Compass 885.

I tried two different USB sticks and neither worked. After inserting each into the USB port, MFT gave this message, "This USB device is not supported. Please remove." These were a Verizon 3G Novatel USB727 and Verizon LTE 551L.

Instead, I purchased a Cradlepoint mobile broadband router where I can plug my USB stick into it and create a hotspot. The Cradlepoint is powered by a cigarette lighter and I just leave it in my HyTi.

I don't see the point of trying to attach the MFT wifi connection to the one produced by my Cradlepoint and I have never tried to do so. I think it would just create the possibility for a bottleneck. I'm open to trying to do it if someone can tell me what the benefits would be?

I don't really think it was intended to be used as an Internet hotspot, or more functionality would have been added by adding a list of dongles that work with it. Someone else did mention what it would be useful for and as a wireless network to join pc's or handheld gaming devices so passengers and communicate with each other for doing work or playing games, much better than a peer to peer network. With today's smart phones, most can be used as hotspots now, so no need for SYNC to be an internet gateway, however, one side effect of hotspots, if a call comes in(Except ATT) the hotspot shuts off. This would be a good example of having a working dongle, relieve the phone duties to being a phone.

Now if Ford had got their cheet together, they would have made the Internet functionality more useful by having apps already installed, like Pandora, iHeart radio, Netflix, etc. that worked off your providers network through the USB dongle. Tying it into one carrier though, like ATT would be a not so good idea, so the dongle idea is a much better solution.

Apps included? You mean like Pandora in the "budget" Chevy Sonic I got as a rental when my FFH was in for warranty work?? Ok, just a little pet peeve of mine... not a deal breaker!

Btw, this WiFi feature seems more like a non-feature. Can't imagine there's any worth to it...

This is what Ford says the wireless feature is for, explained item by item.

The fact that to be a Network Client the car must be in Park negates any practical utility.

To be a Gateway Access Point it has to be tethered to a cell phone or have a USB Modem dongle plugged in, except most USB Modem dongles are not recognized.

So, once again, what practical use is it?

ScreenShot2014-08-17at93052AM_zps84e0ac6

Edited by GrySql

Apps included? You mean like Pandora in the "budget" Chevy Sonic I got as a rental when my FFH was in for warranty work?? Ok, just a little pet peeve of mine... not a deal breaker!

Btw, this WiFi feature seems more like a non-feature. Can't imagine there's any worth to it...

As far as Apps go, that link I posted yesterday mentioned why Ford is somewhat reluctant to approve Apps.

It also mentions GM's approach to the problem.

ScreenShot2014-08-17at104652AM_zps04ecde

As a side issue, here is more info on what carmakers are doing about infotainment hacking.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/01/technology/security/car-hack/index.html

http://blog.kaspersky.com/car-hacking/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/07/24/hackers-reveal-nasty-new-car-attacks-with-me-behind-the-wheel-video/

Edited by GrySql

You liked that one? How about this one:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/08/13/so-many-pwns/

We're wandering off topic here but the fact remains that a vehicles OBD port and the infotainment system is vulnerable and carmakers are aware of it.

Even the door locks can be opened by hackers now.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/01/keyless-entry-cars-vulnerable-to-silent-theft.html#more

This is a reason to stay away from Active Park Assist or Lane-Keep Assist for the more paranoid among us since having those systems are what allowed the hackers to control the steering.

You liked that one? How about this one:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/08/13/so-many-pwns/

I didn't really like it but in this case it was a "funny" reminder that everything computer can be hacked.

Now the second article is plane out scary that not just private computers are open like a barn door.