1. Does the old antenna just pry off or unscrew or what?
2. Do you have to splice the wires to reattach or
3. do they have clip or plug type connectors that easily hook up with the shark?
4. It is a big improvement over the giant black dart antenna.
5. Is the black area around the bottom of the shark some kind of gasket rubber, the 3M tape,
6. or is it a gap?
7. That was a lot of questions,
1. The whip antenna unscrews.
2. No splicing, it's all well thought out.
3. There is a fractal antenna adhered inside the dome of the Sharkfin which is connected to a coiled wire with a circular electrical fitting on the end.
The kit comes with 2 different sized screws and a round washer.
Use the appropriate sized screw & the washer to attach the Sharkfin's antenna coiled wire to the black base, replacing the Ford whip antenna.
5. It is the 3M tape, it's a thin, dense foam gasket, covered with a paper backer (which you remove to stick the Sharkfin down).
6. Not an air gap, the Sharkfin base is sealed 360 degrees by the gasket.
The 3M thin, sticky gasket is cut to the exact contour of the Sharkfin's base, you're seeing the thin gasket.
8. No problem.
BTW, the paint match was perfect, the application of the paint was perfect - no drips, holidays or imperfections.
My wife likes it, it's a success!