brcd131

EV Mode Kicks In/Out

I thought I read that the full EV mode kicks in at 62 MPH and below, and above 62 MPH the ICE runs full time and is assisted as necessary by the traction motor. Is this what others are seeing as true?

YUP. Runs when needed to power the car, charge the battery, warm the cabin, or make julienne fries... EV seems to stay in place from a start better than my 2010 did, meaning that it takes slightly more pressure on the accelerator to have the computer sense it and tell the ICE to come on and assist. However running only on EV is not a constant thing, as running purely on EV will sap the HV battery as it goes (naturally, it's normal), and then as the HV battery meter on the dash gets down to about 1/4 or so, the ICE will come on to charge the HV battery, even if it's not needed to help move the car.

My impression was that the car would not go into full EV mode above 62 MPH. But mine has been doing that this week. Just wondered if others have seen this. I have not done a lot of testing, but I have seen it go into full EV mode as high as 65 MPH so far.

Mine appears to do that too, from the looks of the speedometer I'll be going 63-65 (best as I can tell) and the indicator on the left side has the blue 'EV' showing...

Yep, it will stay in EV up to 65 depending on load. It wont kick in at that speed, but if below 63 it engages, the ICE can stay off up to 65 as long as the load is very low like in going down hill. I like that I can pull out on a cold day and get up to about 30 before the ICE kicks on as long as I have enough SOC.

I haven't found that running back and forth into EV is very beneficial to mpg at say 60 mph. Sure you get that great infinite mpg while in EV but the batteries deplete and really suck up a lot of ICE power when it kicks in to charge them back up. Watching the "instant mpg" meter, I see my mpg drop to about 20 mpg for about 30 seconds until the battery gets back to about half full. At half full, the charging load on the batteries drops and the mpg picks back up. I had a 2010 Fusion Hybrid and it looks to me like this 2.0 liter ICE sucks up more gas than the 2.5 liter did on the 2010. Looks now like this 2013 is going to take much more careful driving to get decent mpg. I haven't had a 40 mpg tank as yet. Only +38 with a tail wind. Hopefully, Ford will come up with a new computer map to fix some of these mpg problems.

Hey stop copying my posts! :)

I am at the point where, screw this hybrid driving and just flog the car, hopefully the plugs will foul sooner so I can take it back for service #3, then they can replace the plugs again, and give it back, then I can flog it some more and bring it in for #4, and finally file lemon law on it.

Pretty sad when I can get better MPG out of my 2010 FFH not doing "special" driving, and have to be super diligent with "special" driving just to get what the 2010 can get.

Man, I'll tell you what, my car does better in the cold temps than warm! I got a whopping 35 MPG yesterday in 60* weather. If I didnt like this car so much I would have dumped it long ago.