acdii

Accelerating in the 2013

Here is what I found the car likes, even with the crappy MPG mine has, I still net OK with this one, which seems to get me the most out of it, which isnt saying much, got 38 this morning.

Set your MyView to RPM tach on the left side, on the right you can put what ever you want, but instant works good. One up from that is Empower.

When you accelerate if on EV do it gently until the ICE kicks in, once on ICE, keep it under 2K on the Tach, now switch to the next screen and note where the bar is, then switch back to verify you are under 2K. Once you memorize where the bar is on the other screens, keep it at or below that mark.

Now after driving for a while, go to the fuel economy screen and look at the coach bars. You should see acceleration full blue if you did it right. This is how ford intends the car to be accelerated according to the coach.

Now that you have that, experiment, leave it on the coach and do some quick launches up to speed, and switch to EV. The bar should drop to yellow pretty fast. Drive like you normally drive it and look at that bar and compare where it is to when you drove it under 2K RPM.

Downside of this technique, it takes forever to get up to highway speeds! It will also get you the usual chorus of horns, lights and fingers.

Did this technique going home too. Took about a mile to reach 55 MPH starting at 25. One hill I didnt reach 55 until I got over it. I did not go over 2000 RPM at all, half my miles were EV. Combined in three stops averaged 40 MPG. Saw 41 for the first time.

So for the next tank this is how I will drive it, just need to give myself extra drive time. I will see what my MPG on this tank returns.

By no means does this mean the car is fixed, this kind of driving should have netted upper 40's. Need to pick up a ScangaugeII for the other car and drive it the same and see what I can get.

I don't think its fixed either. I made a 20 mile (each way) trip tonight and got 57mpg going as it was mostly level to slightly downhill and a lot of EV time. Coming back got 37mpg. Did normal acceleration to cruise speed (55) and then just let ACC do the rest til I got there. The mpg's are per the cars computer.

Yeah I cant drive like that for very long, took all the patience I could muster to keep it at 2k.

As for my driving technique, I've found that I keep the left screen on Engage and then for accelerating I use the cruise+ button on the steering wheel. It seems to accelerate quite quickly and if I have to brake because of other slower drivers I use resume to get back up to speed. Except for starting out from a standing start I rarely use the right foot. I have a lifetime average of 37.2 climbing slightly virtually every time I take the car out. Yesterday I got 44.5 on the way home from work. Dry paved roads and snow covered dirt roads and temperature at about 32f. This weekend it's supposed to get up into the 50's so we'll see if there is further improvement since the temperature has struggled to get to 32f since I got the car.

I drove like this again today, got a few looks and sneers, but again got decent MPG. I think it hit 40, but dont remember, have to go look again. Imagine what it would get if it was actually working right!

I just completed my first fill-up in the FFH. Officially 41.3 MPG (40.3 by the computer's reckoning). (50%/50% city/hwy) Having never driven a hybrid before, I would say that I am learning every day and like Allegany, I am finding that the computer's avg seems to climb higher the more I drive, tenth by tenth. And yes, it definitely a different way for me to drive. I tended to be more of a jackrabbit upon lights turning green, and generally driving 5-10 miles over the speed limit. But now I am employing the P&G, coasting after reaching speed limits, and especially, keeping the car more frequently at 62 MPH or less, allowing the EV to run much more often. It has made me a more patient driver in only 1.5 weeks. I've had several trips in the high 50's.

Even in my own neighborhood, the other morning, I was coasting at the 30 MPH (enforced) speed limit, only to look up and realize that the car behind me had decided to put his front bumper near my back bumper, urging me to speed. Normally, I might have reacted with the accelerator, or maybe tapped the brake lights....but to my surprise, I simply looked up and said to myself, "hmmmm...." and continued to drive like an law abiding citizen. Driving smoothly, comfortably and saving fuel costs at the same time hopefully will continue to calm my driving persona. And it looks good too! Not received the fingers or horns yet, but definitely a lot of second looks.

It is amazing how driving a Hybrid can calm you down. It becomes a game as to can I beat my last trip, and then you look around and see how many people waste gas, and then realize, damn, That was ME! A few minutes really isnt worth the costs. When yo consider that the person flooring it to get to the next red light just burned enough gas to get us 4 miles, then you reach that person who is sitting at that red light as it turns green, and you barely touch the brakes. Then the person doing 80 in a 65 zone, you wind up passing them as they fill up, then they pass you again, and again, and you still are doing 65. Seen it so many times it makes me laugh.

I guess gas prices no matter how high, dont really impact that many people.

I had a few trips that exceeded 40 and one that was 62! It was the perfect storm of warm outside car was already warm and down hill. Got 33 on the return trip. Do see a difference since it was warm this weekend but struggle to average 36. I definitely bought this car doing the math on mileage. Still love it even after Ford sent me a 750.00 coupon 2 months after I bought one!

As to coupons, I'm still a bit raw because the dealer had one sent to me on 12/23 that expired on 01/02 and I made a brochure request hoping it may have a newer coupon and it did, but only on existing inventory and not on hybrids.

I had a few trips that exceeded 40 and one that was 62! It was the perfect storm of warm outside car was already warm and down hill. Got 33 on the return trip. Do see a difference since it was warm this weekend but struggle to average 36. I definitely bought this car doing the math on mileage. Still love it even after Ford sent me a 750.00 coupon 2 months after I bought one!
Edited by wmpwi

I just completed my first fill-up in the FFH. Officially 41.3 MPG (40.3 by the computer's reckoning). (50%/50% city/hwy) Having never driven a hybrid before, I would say that I am learning every day and like Allegany, I am finding that the computer's avg seems to climb higher the more I drive, tenth by tenth. And yes, it definitely a different way for me to drive. I tended to be more of a jackrabbit upon lights turning green, and generally driving 5-10 miles over the speed limit. But now I am employing the P&G, coasting after reaching speed limits, and especially, keeping the car more frequently at 62 MPH or less, allowing the EV to run much more often. It has made me a more patient driver in only 1.5 weeks. I've had several trips in the high 50's.

Even in my own neighborhood, the other morning, I was coasting at the 30 MPH (enforced) speed limit, only to look up and realize that the car behind me had decided to put his front bumper near my back bumper, urging me to speed. Normally, I might have reacted with the accelerator, or maybe tapped the brake lights....but to my surprise, I simply looked up and said to myself, "hmmmm...." and continued to drive like an law abiding citizen. Driving smoothly, comfortably and saving fuel costs at the same time hopefully will continue to calm my driving persona. And it looks good too! Not received the fingers or horns yet, but definitely a lot of second looks.

62 is my speed. Also I say to myself 'That guy isn't putting gas in my tank so let him go around me" Tonight I was in my focus climbing past 38mpg (at 62mph on cruise)and the guy behind me put on his headlights on his f250 thinking I would pull over. There were 3 lanes and 2 he could use to pass me. Sorry go around! How many times I would pull over to the right lane and get forced down to 30mph by someone entering from an on ramp.(most are less than 1/2 mile apart) No more. Go around! Also I'm old enough to enjoy "Escape" on channel 69 on Sirius reeeeal calming.

62 is my speed. Also I say to myself 'That guy isn't putting gas in my tank so let him go around me" Tonight I was in my focus climbing past 38mpg (at 62mph on cruise)and the guy behind me put on his headlights on his f250 thinking I would pull over. There were 3 lanes and 2 he could use to pass me. Sorry go around! How many times I would pull over to the right lane and get forced down to 30mph by someone entering from an on ramp.(most are less than 1/2 mile apart) No more. Go around! Also I'm old enough to enjoy "Escape" on channel 69 on Sirius reeeeal calming.

I have found that Sirius satellite radio has definitely calmed me down from road rage. No more flipping of stations whenever a commercial break comes on. Tired of listening to a genre of music? There's lots more to choose from!

I prefer Pandora on the iphone. Still po that the MFT doesnt have it. I like how, if I feel like listening to a certain artist, just type it in, and it starts playing music from that artist. I also found some Mel Brooks acts from the 2000 year old man. Monty Python skits, and some others. Pretty cool stuff.

I prefer Pandora on the iphone. Still po that the MFT doesnt have it. I like how, if I feel like listening to a certain artist, just type it in, and it starts playing music from that artist. I also found some Mel Brooks acts from the 2000 year old man. Monty Python skits, and some others. Pretty cool stuff.

I can't do that in my Corolla. :( That's why I have Sirius in it. iPod adapter (FM transmitter type) is terrible on the factory radio and it's not worth upgrading the radio in it.

Gotta love the listening options that are available to you in today's vehicles. And it calms you down, makes you enjoy the journey instead of getting all worked up trying to get somewhere or get to work.

Love my overhead sunglass holder!!!

Edited by coach81

I've been very careful and conservative with this car, no tire burning starts, no speed bursts to 125 mph, hardly any passing on two lane roads.

I don't know what got into me today, maybe I had a hairball from driving my modded Mustang GT the last 8 years.

Anyway, it was 75F today, sunny and I was feeling good.

On a semi-deserted freeway on-ramp I floored the Fusion and swooshed/hummed up to almost 90 mph.

By golly, not getting good mpg's was fun!!

The little hamsters in both motors combined and really gave it their all, the car acted like it was meant to do things like that - a few times.

In that Unibody is the heart of a Li-on, we are driving the Clark Kent of hybrids.

I wish a Prius had been nearby, just so I could have blown it's doors off.

I still got 37.1mpg for that outing.

My wife just looked at me and smiled - life is good.

Edited by GrySql

GS: Great description! I've done that a few times to what seemed like an almost instantaneous 80mph, but I've always chickened out going beyond 80 (story of my life). I've never felt I needed more power in any situation. Sure, the Tesla would blow the Fusion away, but what good does that do in the real world? We have truely made the best possible choice by buying the Fusion Hybrid.

BTW - I was very glad to see you moved over here from that other dead forum. I was going to mention it in a post there, but I didn't think that would be ethical. It's good to have the twin Fusions back together again.

I've been very careful and conservative with this car, no tire burning starts, no speed bursts to 125 mph, hardly any passing on two lane roads.

I don't know what got into me today, maybe I had a hairball from driving my modded Mustang GT the last 8 years.

Anyway, it was 75F today, sunny and I was feeling good.

On a semi-deserted freeway on-ramp I floored the Fusion and swooshed/hummed up to almost 90 mph.

By golly, not getting good mpg's was fun!!

The little hamsters in both motors combined and really gave it their all, the car acted like it was meant to do things like that - a few times.

In that Unibody is the heart of a Li-on, we are driving the Clark Kent of hybrids.

I wish a Prius had been nearby, just so I could have blown it's doors off.

I still got 37.1mpg for that outing.

My wife just looked at me and smiled - life is good.

Ha Ha.... I've been tempted to turn her loose a few times.. but I'm still in the "babying" mode right now... great to hear your story...

My sister-in-law has a Prius V, my personal opinion is I think the 'V' stands for VERY ugly.

However, she says that when she pushes that 'P' button on the console she can beat BMW's on the on-ramps.

I told her she's a girl and how could the whopping 134hp beat anything, unless they didn't know it was a race - she glares at me.

Then, with her hand on her hip she says 'and we get 44mpg'. Sigh.

I smile and say they are very popular as taxi's at the airport, more glares.

I know the previous year Fusions Hybrids were pretty fast too, it was a platform that has many performance options in the non-hybrid models.

This years car is meant to handle the 250hp EB 2.0T engine, which translates into our cars being a sturdy platform too.

I like it.

LOL yep it does have some giddy up, but coming from an EB Flex and EB F150 it feels lethargic. I had to pass some moron(Why slow down when 2 lanes merge to one when you sped up when it got to 2?) and it did get some giddyup, got it to 80, the EB would have been over 100 in the same distance. Now if only they put an EB on the Hybrid system.... I dont think the tranny can take it though. he/she might have a conniption.