fusionTX

Knowing what you know now, would you still buy?

I'd like to hear from 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid owners.

After having the car for a while and knowing what you know today, if you had a chance for a do-over, would you still buy the Fusion Hybrid?

What would you do differently?

Edited by fusionTX

I am delighted with the car. You must remember that on line forums have a lot of people who are here because they are looking for a place to comiserate with other owners who are having problems and may have found a route to a solution. There are LOTS of folks who for one reason or another aren't interested in an online community. Are there some problem cars? Absolutely, but they are a small section of the cars here ad an even smaller segment of the cars shipped so far. I'm having milage better than I expected for the breakin period and I expect it to be fine for the long haul.

I suggest you stay with your initial decission.

Being that I happen to have one of the problem cars, if it were THIS car, no, if it were later on when the TiHy is out, YES

Let me put it in simple terms, if Ford were to swap out my current low MPG car for a TiHy with what I want, and I paid the $505 difference, I could care less if it got lower than expected, it has the Sony system! Crank it up and enjoy.

As long as the plugs dont foul up that is.

Absolutely I would. I've had zero problems and great gas mileage.

Ditto

Less than a week with the car but, so far, yes.

Mileage is all right and climbing a bit - i just parked in the garage with a "lifetime" (i.e. over the miles I've driven) 38.0 mpg.

So I still think low 40s lifetime when it's all said and done will likely happen.

If I had to order again, I probably would add Adaptive CC.

The ACC is great, one of the reasons I am sticking with the Fusion.

I definitely would not buy it again. The poor mileage is just one of the reasons, but the main one. I spent 4 hours sitting in the service waiting room while they "worked" on the car to find out that they couldn't connect with the Ford computer system and so could not find out if there is a fix for the poor mileage. Dealer is 45 miles away, so not very convenient.

Other reasons are the crappy passenger seat that has no vertical adjustment (asked about that and no fix), mediocre radio, 18" wheels with cheap tires, cheap floor mats (I am embarrassed to admit I bought them). The car looks nice, but all the little things a person doesn't think to ask about Ford took the opportunity to cheapen to make a buck.

The Fusion is quieter, but the Prius has a better sound system, has a hot water storage system to store hot water so the engine doesn't have to start up first thing to run the heater. I went to Toyota dealer to complain that the battery system seemed to discharge alot, and the car wasn't very peppy. He warned me that there would be an $85 diagnostic charge but I said ok because I wanted to be sure everything was ok. Got car back, they found no problem, apologized, and said no charge. But battery now works ok, car more peppy, etc. So obviously they flashed the computer but didn't want to admit it (I think they flashed it at the 30K checkup). The sticker says to 46 MPG EPA combined, I get 41.2 over the life of the car (46K miles), but I have larger wheels/tires and expect about 2 MPG drop from same and all this without trying. That's what I expected from the Fusion.

Before Fusion, I had a Lexus. Obviously not as good MPG, but got 24 MPG which is not bad for a big heavy car with a V8. And it drove like a dream.

So far so good. First hybrid so it takes a little getting use to. We tried out about every other brand in this catagory before deciding on the FFH. Ride is very nice, good steering and brakes. Mileage is slowly coming up. All over, very satisfied with our Ford Fusion Hybrid. Also tried the Prius, worst of the bunch as far as were concerned, it's ugly, rides bad and lacks any class. :shades:

Edited by Ric

I agree, Prius not that pretty, ride not that great. It wasn't on my radar to replace my Lexus. I wanted more of a semi-luxury sedan that got good MPG. I use the Prius more for hauling things and going to store - with hatchback and fold down seats, there is a lot of room to haul stuff. I just think that the Prius might have a better overall Hybrid system and Ford was more interested in getting good EPA numbers, and not real world numbers. But I think the Fusion has a lot of potential if Ford would try to figure out why some cars don't get good mileage. Is their quality control that bad at the factory that they don't know what they will get from one car to the next? Or is it something else?

I'd do it again, but add the lane changing system to get the front parking aid. You have to learn how to drive a hybrid - I'd be getting lousy numbers if I drove it like I do my Saturn VUE. Yes, the average isn't 47 mpg, but getting 43.85 mpg round trip on a short trip from work to get some lunch yesterday beats the 17-20 I would have gotten in my Saturn. If we can get close to 40 mpg overall, I'll be happy (averaging 36.8 right now according to the car, we'll see what it is at the next refuel.

I have had my Hybrid for almost 3 weeks, and overall I would definitely do it again. It is tough to be passed on the highway by pretty much every car as I am trying to get better mileage (driving 55-65), but I love the way the car rides, handles, the low noise levels, and just the overall look inside and out of course. I originally ordered my SE Hybrid in late october, then switched to a Titanium Hybrid 2 weeks later, but when the dealer called on 12/20 to give me a chance to purchase my original order before putting it out for sale, i had a tough day of back and forth on whether to wait for the Titanium Hybrid or take this one. I had a pretty much sleepless night of sleep, and prior evening of discussions with my partner over the decision. I decided the next morning to purchase the SE Hybrid due to me having a horrible stressful last 2-3 months at work (this would be my "present" to myself) and deciding I could do without the extra features, and the extra $2200 (plus I dislike the Titanium Hybrid wheels and I would have given up the moonroof). I occassionally wish I had the push button start and intelligent access, but so far I havent had that moment I really have been kicking myself over not waiting an extra 3 months or so.

My mileage has been steadily increasing, and my current tank is at 40.3 mpg with almost a half a tank gone. I originally decided when I was deciding between the Hybrid and 1.6 SE, that I would be happy with 42 mpg. I can see myself getting that, especially once the car is broken in, and the weather gets nicer/warmer. I have learned that keeping the climate control off makes a significant difference in when EV mode kicks in when the car is first started after being off for a while. It can be a little cold in the morning, but I have a warm coat and gloves LOL.

Welcome to the forum, imp. Good to see you are happy with the car and your decision to opt out of the Ti trim.

Not once in my three months of driving my Fusion have I said to myself "gee, I wish I would have bought a......" Of the two other cars that made my top three choices, the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport has received generally good reviews, except for problems with steering and wandering in highway lanes (which would be major for me). The other, the Altima, appears it would have been a major headache from the reviews on Edmunds. The only major complaint about the Fusion Hybrid so far has been not meeting EPA numbers, but even with an average of 36 mpg, I'm doing much better than I would have with any other of my dozen or so initial choices.

The one exception to this would be the Tesla Model S, which I realistically couldn't afford. I saw my first one this week and it sure looks nice, although the owner had gotten it very dirty, which took a lot of the luster from it. But even standing next to it, I didn't think "I sure wish I had that". Four years ago my dream car was a Mercedes CLS. That's the car my wife wanted me to have, but again I knew I really couldn't (shouldn't) afford it. I have no desire for the CLS now. I'm thoroughly happy with my Fusion. Driving through a parking lot today, two construction workers walking into a store couldn't keep theirs eyes off it. Looking into the rear view mirror and seeing them still staring was a good feeling. I don't think they would have looked at the Model S for a longer time. Maybe they just could believe it was a Ford.

Acdii, as a side note, a while back I asked what glues you use on your R/C aircraft. Tuesday, Tesla and Gulfsream Aircaft contacted us to let us know they were going to start using the adhesives that my brother and I manufacturer.

Acdii, as a side note, a while back I asked what glues you use on your R/C aircraft. Tuesday, Tesla and Gulfsream Aircaft contacted us to let us know they were going to start using the adhesives that my brother and I manufacturer.

I started off using CA, but have transitioned to using Titebond II or III for most of it, and epoxy for the structural stuff like joiners and firewalls. I also have a few tubes of BVM Aeropoxy. Titebond makes a pretty strong and flexible joint, and still light. My 4*120 is fully assembled, just need to install the engine and radio gear and its ready for its maiden. Trick will be getting it in the car.

B25Nut and acdii, off topic guys but I'd love to see some more of your gear or even an RC forum link?

I post often on rcuniverse, same nick. The posting of pics is a pain there though, the build thread allows only one pic per post, so I stopped uploading them. I do have a web site I pay for and never use, so I just might consider blowing it away and using it as a picture reference. I also spend time restoring the Desert Rat B-17E, There is a FB page on it too, 12595Desertrat.

So far.. (Day 2.5 coming up with vehicle) I am absolutely thrilled with my decision and my vehicle. The car is everything I'd hoped for and more!!!! Potiential regrets down the road may be that I did not go ahead and purchase the Adaptive Cruise as I am hearing how outstanding it is from other owners. But the reason I did not purchase it is that I very, very rarely drive for long distances thus did not see a need for it. Time will tell.

I'm really having fun learning all about my new vehicle, and can't wait for a reason to drive it.

Don't regret it, it will make you passive, and have a side effect of when driving a different car without it, you will be so used to the car keeping pace that you will forget you don't have it and wind up hitting someone. I stopped using it for that reason since we switch between the 10 and 13 quite often and luckily caught myself before something happened.

However, I wont give it up and if I were to order a car, it would be included. It can be turned off as needed.

Update.. today I played with the "lane keep assist" and the look on my son's eyes when the car actually steered itself back onto the road as I was testing it was priceless :hysterical2: