coach81

Empower, Inform, Enlighten, or Engage?

Which info option do you think helps you maximize your fuel economy, empower, inform, enlighten, or engage (sorry if some of them or wrong... remember I don't have mine yet)? Please briefly explain why you use the one you do.

Which info option do you think helps you maximize your fuel economy, empower, inform, enlighten, or engage (sorry if some of them or wrong... remember I don't have mine yet)? Please briefly explain why you use the one you do.
Personally, I find the 'empower' mode most helpful. I can see the switch over threshold and modufy thrittle control accordingly. You can let off the throttle enough to encourage the switch to ev and then catch it back to just the demand level needed to keep under the threshold that requires ICE... Works for me!

I flip through them as I drive, what works for me is the instant. I try to keep that as high as i can while maintaining speed. Works well in the 2010, but not so much in the 13 yet.

Engage, so far. But after reading a bit about the other options in the manual, probably switching to Empower (or perhaps MyView).

Primarily to get he power gauge with the ICE on/off threshold.

To do precisely the maneuver KingJL describes, which I used to do a lot in my old 11 FFH (still doing it on the new one, but he threshold makes it easier)

I also used to call that maneuver "the catch" and, apparently, was doing "pulse and glide" w/o knowing what it was.

I used empower in my '10 and will probably get back to it. I haven't played with My View yet either.

I'm going for tint and mud flaps tomorrow and will do the garage door opener, door locks and seat positions soon.

Switched to empower today. Definitely the way to go, for me. I guess i was confused at delivery because empower's "EV power threshold" only shows while moving (same in the old car, it has been a while so I forgot about it). And so the "split power" in engage mode seemed more informative.

I'm still missing a couple of things I had readily available in my 11 FFH dash. Distance to empty and accessory power (hey, sometimes every little watt counts). I am sure I will get those with some extra tinkering...

They are there, but hard to get all on one screen. I have the RPM's and instant on MyView, and one click up is empower. I can switch quickly between the two.

Anyone chosen to drive barefoot until fully used to this model?

My guess is not many takers.

Ford should have timed the release for the summer for a variety of reasons - last summer that is :-)

I tried Empower on my drive home last night. I don't see why it would be prefered over Engage, which for me gives a clearer indication of the ICE and EV power distribution. I'm usually in the minority when it comes to what people like, so maybe it's just me.

I am driving my Fusion now just the way I like to drive (maybe 10% differently). I'm not that worried about the MPG (which is still double what I've ever had). I'm just enjoying driving my car.

I use them all, no preference, they each have their own little things. My main view is the tach though, that tells me more than any other gauge so far.

Thanks for info on tach... going to feel it out starting tomorrow... :hyper:

For those like me who don't know the differences between all these dispay modes, here is a Youtube video that explains them

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DlM9Y9w4aOg

Even after watching the video, the differences seem very subtle. I'm sure it will become clearer once I get my car.

I am currently using the MYView with the gauge from the Engage screen along with the C/H temp gauge. The reason I have the Engage screen is that to me it shows the best way to determine how close you are to going in and out of EV mode. I use the temp gauge to see when the ICE is warmed up, which helps determine if the electric motor will function or not. if the temp graphic (the "boat looking" thing lol) is blue I know it wll not go into EV mode even at a stop. Also, if the temp gauge is at or above the lower line in the middle of the gauge, usually it is warm enough to run in EV mode. I have found that when the climate control is on, it will prevent the car from warming up quickly to run in EV mode, and sometimes when the climate is on, the temp graphic will be blue but as soon as I turn off climate, the graphic switches to white, and EV mode can be accessed. I definitely use the Engage gauge to help me determine how much I can press the gas pedal. I have gotten better and better each day and my mileage reflects that. Optimistic i will get around 42 mpg like I hoped for when I was deciding on the Hybrid.

I found that defrost on the lowest fan setting works best when starting out cold. Keeps the windows clear without sapping too much from the ICE. Then again, I do start out doing 55 MPH from my driveway.

I found that defrost on the lowest fan setting works best when starting out cold. Keeps the windows clear without sapping too much from the ICE. Then again, I do start out doing 55 MPH from my driveway.

Man,

That first square turn into traffic must be a biaaatch. :hysterical2:

I realized I said the wrong screen on my post above. I was actually using the Empower gauge along with the C/H temp gauge on my MyView screen. I have since changed my MyView to tachometer and temp gauge, since Empower is on the next screen if I hit up on the left steering wheel pad.

Man,

That first square turn into traffic must be a biaaatch. :hysterical2:

Turns? Who turns! Drift baby DRIFT!

I used mostly empower for the first few rides.. I liked, it.. but going to try Engage as well...

Started with Engage for the first month, then moved to Empower. Have been getting my very best trips with this mode. Driving out to dinner the other night, got 73.8 mpg as I was able to stay in EV a large chunk of the 15 minute or so trip - then again, it was nearly all downhill, which lead to the great mpg. Couldn't take the exact same route home to do an average of the two due to an accident we saw on the way down, and forgot to look when we got home anyway. Have gotten two trips home from work (about 30 mile drive) at 62 to 66 mpg, which included some freeway driving at 65-70 mph. Still want to see that overall mileage get above 40 mpg on a consistent basis per tank (nearly there, 39.1 mpg on last fill-up).