Sign in to follow this  
coach81

For Acdii

Here is the money quote from a comment on this article:

My name is Wes Sherwood with the Ford PR team, appreciate the chance to clarify our comments. Our hybrids’ 62-mph electric-mode top speed benefits drivers – especially those seeking maximum fuel economy – while spirited driving could reduce mileage, especially for our more powerful vehicles. Also, a variety of factors affect fuel economy, including weather, driving speed, and break-in mileage. If the temperature is 40 degrees instead of 70, you could lose about 5 mpg in our new hybrids. If you drive 75 miles per hour instead of 65, you could lose about 7 mpg. And if you have very few break-in miles on the vehicle instead of 6,000, you could lose another 5 mpg. So, you could drop 17 mpg in what many may view as fairly normal conditions.

This calculates to 0.17 mpg loss per 1.0º F. temperature loss and 0.7 mpg loss per 1.0 mph increase. Three years ago I measured 0.17 ( which I round to 0.2 ) and 0.6 with my 2010 FFH. Add in young males, new cars, 10% ethanol and winter winds ( winds are 70 % headwinds ) and the current results are understandable. All will be revealed when Spring and Summer come.

So cold weather affects the new Hybrid far greater than the old one? Seriously? Not buying it, especially since there was very little difference when I was DOWN IN FLORIDA! The worse my 2010 ever did on a tank was 31.5 back in January, and I had just had the car repaired with a new MAP sensor and computer reflash. Prior to that is got between 32 and 34, which I sort of expected. Once the car did the relearn MPG started going back up, and by Feb was up around 34 and climbing.

Combined MPG for the car, considering my daily drive is at least 80% highway, is 39. so at MOST it was down 8 MPG, with a bad MAP sensor. So far, the math does not add up. My 2013 is doing what my 2010 did? Click the Fuelly tags in my sig to see the lifetime fills on both cars. I find it rather odd that my old car did far better in cold than my new one does.

See, if I was a one Hybrid owner, and this was my first Hybrid, maybe someone could sneak that crap on me, but I'm not a one hybrid owner, in fact this is my Fourth Hybrid since 2007. I owned a 2007 Prius, got 53 MPG lifetime, owned a 2009 Camry Hybrid, got 35 MPG Lifetime, currently own and drive a 2010 Fusion Hybrid, which is getting 39 MPG since last March, and own a 2013 Fusion Hybrid which is getting worse MPG than the Camry did.

So like I said, I dont buy that BS.

It has been mid 20's here and as long as the HVAC is off, I can start out in EV. When the pack gets mid point charge, ICE kicks in. Not having any problems getting into EV in the cold as long as I dont need heat in the cabin. Moment I turn it on though, ICE kicks on. I cant do that in my 2010, as soon as I turn the key when its below 40, the ICE kicks on, whether the HVAC is on or not.