mainesail55

2013 FFH real world fuel economy

I am only getting around 33-35MPG (City Driving Average, Temp of 45 degrees, Climate Set at 68, 90% braking score) with mine... I am taking it in to get one of the rims buffed out tomorrow and I am going to mention the sub-par MPG to them... Still love the car.. but not living up to the hype

Let us know what the dealer says. Mine has 600 miles on it, similar driving and temp. Getting 35mpg.

Have either of you ever owned a hybrid before? I notice you are both males in northern states. If you're young, male, in the north in cold weather and have never owned a hybrid, that's worth 10-15 mpg. There's a site, CleanMPG.com that has a lot of info about efficient driving. You might take a look there. This forum and Fordfusionforum.com have a lot of info that you can search for. I have posts on each that discuss this a lot. I am male and 75 in Florida and have averaged 41 mpg. in 48K miles in a 2010 FFH. I don't hypermile but I work at good economy.

Here are some hybrid driving tips:

1. Accelerate moderately with STEADY accelerator pressure. Do not try to keep tight spacing on the vehicle ahead.

2. Keep the number of ICE starts and stops to a minimum and avoid EV mode. Use EV for low speed, coasting and transient power demands.

3. Look ahead as far as you can see to traffic signals and coast to the next green. Brake early and lightly. Get your brake score to 100 %.

4. Turn off AC ( compressor ) in moderate temperatures and use ventilation. Don't use heat until ICE warms up from driving. Don't freeze either.

5. Keep to speed limits. Don't draft closely. Gains of 2-4 mpg. can be seen from drafting a van or SUV at proper highway spacing.

6. Keep tire pressures up. 40 psi. is a good compromise.

7. Don't drive in cold, rainy, windy weather, move to Florida

8. Have fun. The Ford hybrid is a high tech toy. Don't have an accident watching the video game.

Edited by lolder

All the energy on non-plug-in gas/electric hybrids comes from gasoline. When you use EV mode, there are more losses in the generate-charge-discharge-motor energy path than driving the wheels directly through gears. Only at lower speeds when the ICE efficiency decreases because it can't be loaded up enough does the EV cycle become more efficient. The cycling of EV mode at lower speeds is the least benefit of a hybrid. Bigger benefits are the regenerative braking and the transient EV assist during acceleration. These recover energy and allow a smaller ICE. They try to run the ICE almost as a highly loaded stationary generator would be run. The throttle is opened almost all the way all the time and the spark is advanced just short of knocking. It runs all the time just on the verge of "bucking" which used to happen when you were in too high a gear at low speed and hit the throttle too much in old cars. This is the most efficient operating regime for ICE's. Display your RPM and you'll find it's very low for a 2.0L engine. When you hit the accelerator, there is very little additional throttle opening available at the current RPM. The electric motor provides a transient pulse of torque until the computer speeds up the ICE. If you floor, it the motor will assist until the HVB gets low. It's very important to keep steady pedal pressure ( your energy demand input ) for the system.to run the ICE most efficiently. Look at this link about B.S.F.C.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_specific_fuel_consumption

The Prius engine is in the chart. Fords are similar. The hybrids almost NEVER run the ICE unless they can be in the sweet spot for low BSFC at low rpm and high torque.

The first gen FFHs lose mileage at 0.2 mpg. / º F.. A fall from 60º to 40º F. costs 4 mpg. Every mph. increase costs 0.6 mpg. Speeding up from 70 mph. to 80 costs 6 mpg.

Good luck.

Edited by lolder

salprint: Don't give up. You can't please everybody. I've given up on trying to give my wife "helpful" suggestions.

corvairbob: I didn't pay 10K more for a hybrid. It cost me an additional $3,100 to go with SE Hybrid over the cost of the 1.6 SE. Even if the 1.6 wasn't having problems, I would still think I made the right choice.

lolder: Thank you for the great information! The link you provided didn't work, however. I'm still a little confused. You ended by stating "The hybrids almost NEVER run the ICE unless they can be in the sweet spot for low BSFC at low rpm and high torque". From what you said previously, you imply that I should not try to get my Fusion to run on EV mode if I'm around 60 mph. Applying what you've said, it seems I should save the battery charge for boosting acceleration and for EV operation at lower speeds, with steady pedal pressure being the most important factor for higher MPG.

YES.

Try This:

http://www.wikipedia...uel_consumption

The little contour areas in the upper part in the chart about a page down in the article are the sweet spots. You can research where eCVT hybrid Atkinson cycle ICE's run. Torque is the vertical axis and rpm the horizontal. They try to run right below the torque limit line at the top at the lowest rpm for the horsepower ( torque X RPM ) required. The EV components and operation are devoted to making the ICE run as efficiently as possible and as seldom as possible ( coasting, stopped, etc. ). There are also about 6-8 other reasons why the system may run the ICE.

For better or worse, you cannot drive Ford hybrids like regular cars. You'll still get better mileage than non-hybrids. If you do alter your driving habits, you can usually reach or exceed the EPA numbers.

All new hybrid owners taking delivery in the Fall have problems reaching high mpgs as cold, windy, rainy weather approaches. Your old cars had difficulty too except you didn't notice it. Usually your fuel flow is only about a gallon an hour. That's nearly 1/3 of what you were used to.

Persevere.

Edited by lolder

I think those of us having low MPG may have the wrong tires on the car. Please post what tires are installed, those who are seeing good numbers, and those who aren't. I really should be seeing much better than 35 MPG when I get 40 in my 2010, and the only thing I can see that may be the problem are the Goodyear Eagles that are installed on it.