Ric

Daytime Running lights?

When I dropped our car off Monday for a long list of warranty repairs the dealer said they'll turn on our DRLs. They didn't say that they would charge anything to do so.

The SA's first comment was, "We'll turn them on if it's possible." I responded that it is possible and I gave him the information about where to find the option in the computer based on the information above. He did not bother to write down the information about how to find the option, but he did reply that they would turn them on then.

Edited by hybridbear

The SA's first comment was, "We'll turn them on if it's possible." I responded that it is possible and I gave him the information about where to find the option in the computer based on the information above. He did not bother to write down the information about how to find the option, but he did reply that they would turn them on then.

Gotta luv it...

Some SA's love to control things and have you at their technical mercy, a power trip if you will. Us Forum members that show up with 'inside' info that challenges their superiority must irritate them.

Long live the Forum! :cheerleader:

I'g going to the dealer in the next few days to have the Fuel Delivery System TSB performed, and I'll ask for the DRL at that time. I'll let you know what the dealer says, and I'll be sure to have a printout of this thread showing that it can be done!

Here's info from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety about the huge safety benefits of DRL:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/crash-avoidance-technologies/qanda#daytime-running-lights

1. How effective are DRLs?

Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes. 29 A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes. 30 In a second study covering two years and nine months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes. 31 A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent. 32

In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs. 33 A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles. 34 Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in nine U.S. states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs. 35

Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide from 1995 to 2001, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists. 36 However, a 2008 federal study concluded that DRLs have no significant effect on either of these crash types. 37

2. Will DRLs shorten headlamp bulb life or lower fuel economy?

Running vehicle lights in the daytime does not significantly shorten bulb life. Systems like those on GM cars that use high beams are designed to operate at half their normal power during daylight hours, thereby conserving energy and reducing the effect on a vehicle's fuel economy. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that only a fraction of a mile per gallon will be lost, depending on the type of system used.

I just installed LED "eyebrows" as daytime running lights. They aren't as bright as I'd like, but they certainly make me more visible when is isn't full on sun. It was really hard to find really good LEDs that would create the exact effect that I wanted. I documented my project in this thread: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7700-my-led-eyebrow-running-light-project/

Sorry to beat this if it's a dead horse, but if you have a 2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid (?), can you confirm whether or not your dealer has been able to enable your DRLs on a non-fleet vehicle? I'm a bit confused by what I'm reading in this thread.

Proud new owner of a 2013 HyTi, but hoping to have DRLs enabled. I gave my service advisor (who is very good) GrySql's advice ("Body Control Module>Day Light Module>Day Light Running Lamps>program Module>Re-test"), but he claims they weren't able to enable the DRLs.

I'm wondering if it's a case of different dealers having different software revisions in their own systems, such that some can enable the DRLs and others can't, or if it really is the case that you cannot enable DRL on a '13 HyTi unless it is a fleet vehicle.

My apologies in advance--newbie here.

Sorry to beat this if it's a dead horse, but if you have a 2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid (?), can you confirm whether or not your dealer has been able to enable your DRLs on a non-fleet vehicle? I'm a bit confused by what I'm reading in this thread.

Proud new owner of a 2013 HyTi, but hoping to have DRLs enabled. I gave my service advisor (who is very good) GrySql's advice ("Body Control Module>Day Light Module>Day Light Running Lamps>program Module>Re-test"), but he claims they weren't able to enable the DRLs.

I'm wondering if it's a case of different dealers having different software revisions in their own systems, such that some can enable the DRLs and others can't, or if it really is the case that you cannot enable DRL on a '13 HyTi unless it is a fleet vehicle.

My apologies in advance--newbie here.

No problem with turning the DRLs on, you just need a dealer that is willing and able to do the procedure. Both GrySql and I had them turned on at the same dealer, no hassles, no grief, no cost, they just turned them on because we asked. We were having other work done at the time that probably made it easier for the SA to get it done.

Sorry to beat this if it's a dead horse, but if you have a 2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid (?), can you confirm whether or not your dealer has been able to enable your DRLs on a non-fleet vehicle?

In Post #72, acdii says his DRL's are on and he has a HyTi.

You might be correct though, all Dealers are not the same.

Checking with another Dealer is about all you can do.

I don't know if that 'fleet car' theory is correct, my car certainly isn't one.

Edited by GrySql

My Service Advisor just called and found out that the DRL's can be turned on.

The down side is that they want to charge me $50 to do it.

No thank you.

Pardon me, GrySql, but I think you need to find another dealer. Your current one obviously does not want to keep your business.

Just sayin.....

Having now read the later posts, I withdraw my comment.

Edited by Lucifer

Pardon me, GrySql, but I think you need to find another dealer. Your current one obviously does not want to keep your business.

Just sayin.....

Having now read the later posts, I withdraw my comment.

You must be really good at making marshmallow S'More's, right?

My Dealer is great, they have consistently exceeded my expectations.

Edited by GrySql

Hurray! After taking GrySql's instructions in for a second time, my dealer was able to activate the DRL on our 2013 HyTi. Down go my MPGs, down goes the lifespan of my low beam bulbs, up go my safety and visibility factors (IMO).

The dealer didn't charge anything to activate; my car was in a for a warranty replacement of the front struts! (Hmm...two weeks old and a bad strut...hope this isn't a sign of things to come.)

Thanks to all for the advice and comments in this thread.

Hurray! After taking GrySql's instructions in for a second time, my dealer was able to activate the DRL on our 2013 HyTi. Down go my MPGs, down goes the lifespan of my low beam bulbs, up go my safety and visibility factors (IMO).

The dealer didn't charge anything to activate; my car was in a for a warranty replacement of the front struts! (Hmm...two weeks old and a bad strut...hope this isn't a sign of things to come.)

Yes Hurray to you, GrySql!

I had to make two trips to my dealer for DRL for my 2013 FFH, SE model. First, they told me it wasn't possible on my car; Then I showed 'em GrySql's post; Theeeenn, they said they had to check with Ford Tech Support; Theeeennnn, one week later, they turned them on for free in about 5 minutes. Here's my happy, 9% safer FFH with the new DRL active:

photo

Yes Hurray to you, GrySql!

I had to make two trips to my dealer for DRL for my 2013 FFH, SE model. First, they told me it wasn't possible on my car; Then I showed 'em GrySql's post; Theeeenn, they said they had to check with Ford Tech Support; Theeeennnn, one week later, they turned them on for free in about 5 minutes. Here's my happy, 9% safer FFH with the new DRL active:

:)

Funny that we need to persevere so diligently to get the experts to do their jobs correctly.

Gkinla and I go to the same Dealer, he did a lot of the groundwork at the Dealer so that I could get mine done and provide that post.

There are a lot of good folks here helping with these various problems.

I say "Hurray for the Forum, we make a difference!"

Edited by GrySql

:)

Funny that we need to persevere so diligently to get the experts to do their jobs correctly.

Gkinla and I go to the same Dealer, he did a lot of the groundwork at the Dealer so that I could get mine done and provide that post.

There are a lot of good folks here helping with these various problems.

I say "Hurray for the Forum, we make a difference!"

I did forward the instructions to my dealer, whether or not they needed them, dont know, but they were able to activate them on mine.

BTW I saw no reduction in MPG after they were activated. Besides it there was it would be like .00003%

BTW I saw no reduction in MPG after they were activated. Besides it there was it would be like .00003%

I probably saw a .00003% increase, I always drove with my headlights on anyway. Now it's just the front beams at 1/2 power so a win-win for me. :)

On the way home from breakfast this morning, a white 2013 or 2014 fusion came up from behind with DRLs on. I didn't get a chance to let him pass to see if it was a Ti or SE.

It wasn't GrySql because it had a whip antenna.

On the way home from breakfast this morning, a white 2013 or 2014 fusion came up from behind with DRLs on. I didn't get a chance to let him pass to see if it was a Ti or SE.

It wasn't GrySql because it had a whip antenna.

LOL, I'll be up that way on 11/06, theoretically.

So I dropped my car off this morning for routine maintenance and asked to have my DRL's turned on. I brought with me a print out of the instructions just in case. I mentioned to the guy that some dealers have been having trouble turning them on and his reply was "Oh we've done it for the fusions, it'll be no problem.". So I didn't bother giving him the printout. Well I just got the call that they went through the computer and "DRL'S are not a programmable parameter for this vehicle". I guess I'm going to give them the printout next time and have them try again when the parts come in for them to fix my trunk.

There is definitely something odd going on here with what dealers have access to this. I LOVE my dealer and they have been very patient with me and keep trying to do this. I took grysql's instructions in last week when they were doing work for me and they could not do it.

A question I'd like to pose - Are the people who are having success going to dealers who are Ford/Lincoln dealers? Or Ford standalone? I am trying to figure out why one dealer's software can do this and another's cannot.

I am trying a Ford/Lincoln dealer near my work today. Going to see if they can do it. My dealer is Ford only.

So there is a reason I don't go to the dealer I just tried to ask about DRL that is near my work.

Phone call 1 resulted in talking to a "scheduler" who put me through to a service adviser, but I got disconnected.

Phone call 2 resulted in same transfer, to be put on hold by a gruff, clearly stressed out SA. When I got to 3 minutes on hold, I bailed out.

How do these places function like this? Why do customers put up with it?

Got my PCM update a couple of weeks ago. At the time, I asked about DRLs. They looked at me kind of funny, but I had the trusty directions from this thread in my pocket (just in case it was needed). I mentioned that I knew it was in the body control module. They said they'd see what they could do, as they hadn't had that request before. Two hours later the update was done and the DRLs were turned on. No charge, though they did explain that the DRLs are only on when the car is actually in gear, no in park. My dealer is a Ford/Lincoln dealer. I have an SE model, not a HyTi, but it should be the same software.

A question I'd like to pose - Are the people who are having success going to dealers who are Ford/Lincoln dealers? Or Ford standalone? I am trying to figure out why one dealer's software can do this and another's cannot.

Mine is a Ford/Lincoln Dealer.

I suggest that you look on the Ford website for a Dealer that is 'Hybrid Certified' and give them a call.

I have several Ford Dealers near me and none show up as HC Dealers, so I drive farther.

Ford website>Dealer Search>Advanced Search>Specialties>Electric

All ford dealers computers should be able to activate them in any of the Fusions. Its built into the body control module and activated by default for countries that mandate them, deactivated for those that do not. Takes them all of 10 minutes to turn them on, regardless of which model.

So that means if the dealer you brought to looks like a deer in the headlights when you mention it, go somewhere else. When mine was in for the update I sent them an email asking if they could turn them on, and they did, no questions asked.

Based on the notes I got, it looked like the dealer found where to turn them on, but wasn't able to.

CUST REQ TO HAVE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS ACTIVATED

MISC CHECK AND ALREADY ACTIVATED. ON WHEN HEAD SW IS OFF OR AUTOLAMPS. DO NOT WORK IF OVERRIDDEN.

DRL ARE ACTIVATED WHEN HEADLAMP SWITCH IS OFF OR AUTOLAMPS DO NOT OVERRIDE

I didn't get to talk to anyone specifically about this message yet as I picked up my car after hours. It sounds like they either believe them to already be on or are unable to turn them on without breaking the autolamp.

Based on that note, I would assume the DRL would be active if I turned the headlight switch to off. Since they only work in drive, not park, I turned of my headlights at night while pulling into my dark garage. Nothing lit up, so I assume the DRL are NOT on with the headlight set to off. Can anyone make something else out of this?

I have to take the car back in to get the trunk fixed, so I'll ask what this note means then.

I haven't tried to have mine turned on but I think the DRLs are on when the car is in Drive and the headlight switch is in the off position.

Now that the stop light has been seperated from the tail lights I don't understand why the tail lights are not on with the DRL mode.

I have my fog lights on most of the time which should achieve the same effect as DRLs.

When in auto they should come on when in drive if they are activated. The only time they wont come on is when you have the lights set to park or on.