Ric

Daytime Running lights?

I've been following this topic here since taking delivery of my 2014 FFHSE on December 24, 2013. Early on I asked the service manager at Jim Wilson Motors in Yreka, CA if the DRLs could be activated. The now-familiar check of the computer yielded the standard, "Sorry, no, since it was not a fleet order."

Silver Bullet finally has daytime running lights!
Recently I took the car in for its 30,000 mile service armed with five pages of copies of various posts from this thread, starting with GrySqrl's now famous No. 57, and asked a new service writer, Cody,to look into it. When I picked the car up following the oil change, he said that it looked as though the ambient light sensor for the automatic headlights (a feature we'd never tried using) didn't seem to be working, so we made an appointment for a warranty check on that. A two-hour session the following week confirmed a faulty sensor and one was placed on order. I told my wife that I didn't give better than 1 in 10 odds of our getting DRLs out of this exercise, but I was wrong! Sure enough, after about a one-hour appointment Cody presented me with car with functioning automatic headlights AND daytime running lights. With the headlight switch in Automatic in daylight conditions with ignition on and gear selector in anything but park, low beams are on at 80% power! Cody confided that he assigned the job to tech "JR", because "JR" doesn't like to accept "it can't be done". No charge -- part of warranty on defective sensor.
I'm grateful to this fine Forum and lucky to have a very small local Ford dealer with people who care!

Edited by GrySql
member request

In a 2014 the Automatic lamps feature is not connected to the DRL in any way. You will still have the DRLs when the switch is in the OFF position.

Waldo, you're right! I just had to go out and prove it to myself. I wonder if I'll ever begin to understand this wonderful little vehicle and how to operate it! Thanks!

CORRECTION!

I still don't know how to edit properly in this forum!

In my previous post, the 20% should obviously have been 80%!

Sorry.

Got you covered...

When you are signed in, use the 'Edit' button at the bottom on your Post.

A new window will open, correct your message, click on the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom and it's done.

We've stopped in Yreka many times on my way to visit relatives in the PNW, that is quite a view of Mt. Shasta.

For anyone wanting this done it cab be done in IDS v96 and above under Programmable Features on the very first screen (the tech doesn't even have to open module programming).

This is the same place that they enable Remote Start so that it shows up on and your cluster as well as courtesy wipe and AutoStart disable (if you have a 1.6L with this option).

Out of curiosity, why is it such a hassle stateside to get DRLs enabled on Fords? I know at least some brands like Toyota/Lexus in the states just turn on the DRLs if equipped and let the owner turn them off if he doesn't like them.

In many countries including Canada DRLs are mandated by law and statistics suggest they do reduce accidents. Plus on newer cars that use LED strips for DRLs (including the Mondeo aka the Fusion's European twin) the effect looks wicked cool!

Anyway, with the currency exchange rate, prospective Fusion owners stateside might want to look to Canada for their purchase - especially if they really want DRLs (if buying a used 13/14, DRLs will be fully enabled by law obviously) :P News reports are showing a huge surge in the number of Americans, especially owners of wholesale dealers, crossing north to buy used Canadian cars.

Edited by machoman1337

Out of curiosity, why is it such a hassle stateside to get DRLs enabled on Fords? I know at least some brands like Toyota/Lexus in the states just turn on the DRLs if equipped and let the owner turn them off if he doesn't like them.

Starting with 2015 this is the way the FFH works too. No idea why Ford was so stubborn about this.

Edited by hybridbear

I just wanted to relate my experience in getting my 2014 DRLs turned on. I went to the dealer where I purchased the car they said no problem to turn on the DRLs. I waited for 2 hours only to have the service manger come out and tell me my car does not have driving lights and that they are physically not installed in the vehicle. He then shows me the build sheet for my car which has 2 items circled.

JBCAA - LESS DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS

JBWAA - LESS LIGHTING PACKAGES.

He says that means my car was built without the DRLs. I have looked at other 2014 fusions that have the DRLs enabled and the head lamps look identical and I count the same number of light bulbs. So could my car have been built without DRLs or is the Dealer wrong?

I just wanted to relate my experience in getting my 2014 DRLs turned on. I went to the dealer where I purchased the car they said no problem to turn on the DRLs. I waited for 2 hours only to have the service manger come out and tell me my car does not have driving lights and that they are physically not installed in the vehicle. He then shows me the build sheet for my car which has 2 items circled.

He says that means my car was built without the DRLs. I have looked at other 2014 fusions that have the DRLs enabled and the head lamps look identical and I count the same number of light bulbs. So could my car have been built without DRLs or is the Dealer wrong?

Your car has the running "lamps," as they're the low-beam headlamps that are probably run at a somewhat reduced voltage when used as DRLs. The build sheet may mean that you do not have daytime running lamps that can be enabled/disabled by the owner. There may still be a way to turn them on through the computer the dealers attach in order to reprogram modules.

I experienced the report you received (sans the reference to the "build sheet") multiple times from my dealer. In desperation, I took the car to a Lincoln dealer who also said no problem and got the DRLs turned on with the car out the door in ten minutes. It can be an arcane process; it's a task that some service departments accomplish without batting an eye while others remained uninformed about it for years because Ford corporate intentionally tries to prevent dealers from gaining knowledge of the process.

Try another dealer. Like I said, with my 2013, the Lincoln dealer handled my request almost instantly after the Ford dealer had totally dropped the ball on no less than three attempts.

Unfortunately my Dealer is a Ford Lincoln dealer so no help there. I guess I need to find another dealer in CT or Western MA that has actually enabled the DRLs on a 2014 Fusion HyTi. They were so confident in themselves about this I would love to be able to go back to my dealer with the DRLs enabled.

On your headlight switch is there an "Auto" setting? If so, set the switch to that and see what happens. My '15 has this and when in Park there is no illumination ... but put it in any gear position and I have DRL - low beams at about 60% power. Taillights wil not be lit however. Test it when in close range to a garage door ... or have someone simply stand where they can see if they come on.

Leaving the headlight switch at this setting will automatically turn on the headlights (to full power) AND taillights when the ambient outside light is at a low level. Sensor is that bubble thing in the dash center near the windshield base.

Edited by Cobra348

The Dealer is wrong.

On your headlight switch is there an "Auto" setting? If so, set the switch to that and see what happens. My '15 has this and when in Park there is no illumination ... but put it in any gear position and I have DRL - low beams at about 60% power. Taillights wil not be lit however.

Leaving the headlight switch at this setting will automatically turn on the headlights (to full power) AND taillights when the ambient outside light is at a low level. Sensor is that bubble thing in the dash center near the windshield base.

That works for 2015s, not for 2013 or 2014s.

That's why I asked. I have no knowledge of years prior to '15. Also I figured if he had a FFH HyTi, then perhaps the Titanium trim would have it. Hell, Even my '12 Fiesta had this setting as did the '14s I had too!

I went back to the dealer from which I purchased my CPO 2013 Fusion Hybrid. Without an appointment. I told the Service Advisor what I wanted, and he brought out a tech right into the arrival area. Told him what I wanted and had learned here in this forum. He went back to his station and brought out the computer to do the programming change. He did it, got out and looked at the lights. They were not on. Hmm. So he did it again. Got out and looked at the lights, and they still weren't on. So the Service Advisor said I should set a time and come back on another day, and they would get it figured out.

After I left I noticed that I had lights reflecting off the car in front of me. When I got home I saw the lights on as I drove up to the garage door, but as soon as I put the car in Park, the lights went out. So they tech had done the job correctly, but didn't realize that the lights would not be on of the car was in Park. I called in the next day and let them both know that they were successful, and just didn't know it.

I went back to the dealer from which I purchased my CPO 2013 Fusion Hybrid. Without an appointment. I told the Service Advisor what I wanted, and he brought out a tech right into the arrival area. Told him what I wanted and had learned here in this forum. He went back to his station and brought out the computer to do the programming change. He did it, got out and looked at the lights. They were not on. Hmm. So he did it again. Got out and looked at the lights, and they still weren't on. So the Service Advisor said I should set a time and come back on another day, and they would get it figured out.

After I left I noticed that I had lights reflecting off the car in front of me. When I got home I saw the lights on as I drove up to the garage door, but as soon as I put the car in Park, the lights went out. So they tech had done the job correctly, but didn't realize that the lights would not be on of the car was in Park. I called in the next day and let them both know that they were successful, and just didn't know it.

:)

When the dealership first enabled my DRLs, I checked while in Park and told the dealer that they weren't on.

Fortunately, he knew that they only switch on when you shift out of Park