Sign in to follow this  
Nmadole

Poor MPG ... Should I take it in?

Pump up the tires to 38, that might help, and you have to be light on the throttle, and drive by the gauges. It takes a lot of pateince and practice, and eventually you get to the point where you do it automatically. It's a pain, but it can be done.

Starting a road trip in the morning, so will have a better handle on EPA by the end of the week.

Well, I am taking mine in as soon as I return home and telling them I dont want it back until it gets in the 40's like it is supposed to. When I get it back, it had better have improved, or I will take it back again, and if it goes back a third time I WILL Lemon law the car. I have been driving in PERFECT frickin Hybrid weather, and I can barely touch 38 MPG, and I have to really work it to get that, and it was downfrickinhill too! Needless to say I am not at all pleased with this car and have told several people who asked about the car, Dont buy the Hybrid!

I found that the Goodyear tires are the opposite of the LRR tires on the other Hybrids I had/have. They perform better at 34 PSI than 45 PSI. All my other cars got better MPG at higher PSI, these get much lower at higher PSI.

Still doesnt resolve the issue though, 38 MPG thats all it gets, no matter what speed I drive on the highway, no better than 38 MPG.

Treadwear rating has nothing to do with rolling resistance. Tire design does. I highly doubt the Goodyears will return any decent MPG results, when compared to the Energy Savers.

Good thought, but no, it shows on the dash when you press it.

On the way to the dealer we picked up the 2010 and had my wife driving it behind me. When I took my foot off the gas when coming up to a turn, she said she had to ride the brakes and slow down, and didnt see any brake lights from me until I got closer to the intersection.

I then got in the 2010 and drove it home, and had to slam on the brakes to make a turn, I got so used to not having to brake and the old one just coasts forever. I took my foot off at 30 MPH, and it stays at 30 MPH. In the new one I take my foot off at 35 and in a few moments its at 30, then 25, then 20, and I wonder why my brake score is so low at times. I seldom need to use them.

Good thought, but no, it shows on the dash when you press it.

On the way to the dealer we picked up the 2010 and had my wife driving it behind me. When I took my foot off the gas when coming up to a turn, she said she had to ride the brakes and slow down, and didnt see any brake lights from me until I got closer to the intersection.

I then got in the 2010 and drove it home, and had to slam on the brakes to make a turn, I got so used to not having to brake and the old one just coasts forever. I took my foot off at 30 MPH, and it stays at 30 MPH. In the new one I take my foot off at 35 and in a few moments its at 30, then 25, then 20, and I wonder why my brake score is so low at times. I seldom need to use them.

Can you feel the difference when you push the button or go between "D" and "L"? If not, maybe the system is stuck in "L" or the hill assist despite indications to the contrary.

Edited by lolder

Still not convinced all is working right. According to Ford, the car is fine. BUT, the way they test it is through the onboard computer, so if it is wrong, then the tests will also be wrong. This morning, in 25* weather, my daily drive in saw 38.8 MPG. That's about what my 2010 would also get.

However, when I last filled the car, the Actual MPG was way below what was reported on the dash. I am just below a half tank today, and since my last fill the dash shows just a hair over 35 MPG. When I fill it, I will compare how many gallons it reports used vs what I actually put in the tank.

While 38.8 is not bad, it is still 8.2 MPG below what the sticker says, and at least 3-4 below what actual should be. Now if the 18" wheels and tires are the factor in this, 3 MPG would be about right. I just dont feel I should be spending another $1200 for rims and tires to find out.

I should have an update on actual later today.

That seems to be the way they are doing it now. A lot of cars no longer have a spare, but a fixaflat pump instead.

Thinking back, I can not remember the last time I had to change to a spare on any of my cars.

Now watch, going to get flats in each car now that I said that.