Sign in to follow this  
Nmadole

Poor MPG ... Should I take it in?

Another couple points for anyone considering going to the dealer for MPG (I've seen a few threads)... first, reset the average (as Akirby often points out) to start with a clean baseline... second, gather some hard data over a few tanks with actual miles/gallons and have that with you on a trip to the dealer.

Without the above, kinda seems like going to the doctor to complain about a persistent fever without having taken your actual temperature over the time that you've felt feverish. Makes it tougher for the doc (or the service guy, in the above example) to know how deep to dig.

RTFM, it states CLEARLY that mileage for the first 1000 miles will not be anywhere near EPA(well doesn't say it like that, but that's what it means). It will take several thousand miles for both the car and YOU to get good MPG. I have been driving hybrids now since 2007, easily getting EPA on the 10 with the hilly drive I do everyday, and I have a hard time getting in the 30's in the '13. So don't worry about it, drive it like you stole it for the first few K miles, then once everything is moving smoothly in the car, start practicing your EV driving and maximizing your mileage. The '13 does have this nice feature that the 10 doesn't and that's the driving coach. Those 3 bars will help you learn how to drive.

I have 300 miles on so far and only seeing 34 MPG since I bought it, and finally got my dash display setup where I get all the info I need, and discovered where to get the best Accel bars, Using Empower, keep the white bar at or below the second dash while accelerating, and for the cruise, that is for EV driving, the more EV you do the higher that one goes, Braking, well that's a given, my problem I don't do enough braking, mostly coasting, so that value is always low, and my recaptured energy is low because of it. From what I gather on this car, the more you brake, the better you are. Still working on just when and how hard to brake to be the most efficient.

This morning, temps in the 20's, the 10 got 36.6, and thats without me trying, just driving it like a normal car, screw HM, its cold out, its morning, and I dont want to put up with thinking, just drive. Normally, if I think about it and work it, this mornings commute could have been up around 40, but 4 MPG? Aint worth it.

Learn the car...... It isnt magic, it's perseverance! You take it in and complain, a tech who knows how to drive the Hybrid gets 50 MPG, and you get the car back, they say nothing wrong, you become even more upset. Seen it happen way to often. I dont know how you have your dash setup, but use the My Screen(or whatever they call it) on the left. Set up the coach on one side, the Empower on the other. Now when you accelerate, keep the white bar around the second hash mark, when you reach 5 MPH over the speed limit, lift your foot off the gas, and lightly press it when the gauge switches to EV, Maintain lite pressure to keep it in EV, and try to maintain the speed limit as close as you can on EV, dont worry about keeping it rock solid, let it slowly drop about 5 MPH until you run out of EV, then when it switches back to ICE, do it all over again.

If you cant get 40 MPG in 40* temps this way, then there may be something wrong. I drove mine exactly like this yesterday, with 400 miles on it, and got 40 both times to and from work.

Most important, ignore other drivers! You may not be going fast enough for them, but if they want to waste their gas, let them. When done right, you accelerate at a decent pace, 0-60 in 15 seconds on average is about right, and dont try to play keep up. Remember this, it is not their gas you are wasting, it is yours, let them waste theirs, it comes out of their wallet. It isn't like you are driving under the speed limit, in fact doing it right you are at least 5 over at most times.

I am hoping that the MPG does improve as miles are put on it. It is not getting as good as I think it should considering how high the rating is. I easily get 40 in the old Fusion, but have to really work to get close to 40 in the new one. I think back to when I first got the 10 with 1100 miles on it, it didnt do so well either for a few thousand miles, so just going to drive it and see.

The thing that has me concerned, the temps are in the perfect range to get really good MPG, and they just aren't happening. When I get 44 in the one car, and 38 in the other, the one getting 44 is rated at 41, the one getting 38 rated at 47, well......

Beginning to think the driving coach is not that good, I have all 3 bars almost peaked out, and still only getting 41. I notice that you have to brake really early and very lightly to get up to 100%, and the bar drops if you coast. Only have 700 miles on it, going to Florida next week in it so should get a really good read on it by then.

What tires do you all have on your 2013? I wonder if somehow the factory put the wrong tires on. Goodyear Eagles have not been noted for being LRR tires. My first tank only netted 35 MPG, the second one appears to be heading that way too. Only once did I get 40 MPG going to and from work.

Yep, that pretty much confirms it. The tires are the problem. I have the same tires and wheels on mine, and have pretty much the same MPG you do. I guess Ford failed to research using performance based tires on a hybrid and what impact it would have. The car does handle great with them, but they are not designed to get good MPG.

I dont know what we can do at this point other than complain to the dealer, but at least now we have something to base it on when we do.

So to answer your original question, should you take it to the dealer, my answer would be, yes, and present the facts you learned here. of us hit it hard enough, maybe we can get this resolved.

It seems you have taken our advice and drive the way you should be driving it. Since you are still getting only 35 or so, and cinfirmed the tires are not the LRR type, you do have something to complain about. Hopefully you may be able to get somewhere. Also post it on Facebook Fusion + hybrid, sometimes they listen, and you may get some help there too. If enough

OK I am confused. Look at my stats in the sig. How the hell did I get 40.5 when my dash readout has been in the 30's? I dont have all the records for the 2010, so the MPG is off a bit. Funny though, ever since my wife returned from MN, when the dash did a mysterious reset, that exactly where the MPG reads. It was 39.8 before it reset, and my Fuel log on my iphone matched it, but lifetime looks about right.