Sign in to follow this  
cajodhya

Impressions...Needs...Wants

So after 7 days of ownership and driving, I am happy with my '13 FFH purchase.

A little background on me:

• Traded in a '12 Fusion SEL/V6 for the '13 SE Hybrid
  • Also own: '05 Honda Civic LX (wife's car), '09 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (1 of 350 in color/option combo, Twin Turbo, one of my toys), '10 Dodge Challenger R/T (1 of 1400, limited production), 1971 Challenger (project), '06 Dodge Charger SRT8
  • As you can tell, I am a Mopar man, true and true.
  • The FFH is my 13th car over the years, ranging from crappy imports early on to pro street/drag/road course cars.
  • While I am a high performance Mopar guy, the last 3 daily drivers have all been Fords! '05 Focus ST > '12 Fusion SEL > and now the '13. So I will do my best to keep my reviews bypartisan

That being said, this is hands down my most sensible car purchase in a VERY long time! LOL. There are some things that I would like to have seen as an option or even standard.

• Heads Up display: Would love to have a heads up display of the left dash screen. As a new hybrid driver, I think this would help coach without having to looking down at dash. I had this on my old Grand Prix GTP, and really liked the feature (especially when driving aggressively- I know, I know)
  • Adjustable pedals : not sure if the SE Hybrid has this? I haven't looked into it too much.
  • Right dash display: Limited to either 'Efficiency Leaves' or 'Compass' displays. Better option would be to add 'MyView' capabilities to this screen so we can add supplemental gauges (water temp, tach, etc..)

I didn't see the need to wait for the Titanium Hybrid as I don't really care for all the techy features, but those are some of the things that I find myself wanting if I could suggest updates in the future.

I saw your pic on the gallery.... I am so stoked about your MPG!!!! Thanks so much for that!! I hope you don't mind me picking your brain, and aggrevating you also.. but I really want to know:

1. How is the drive?

2. Did you have to "work" to achieve your MPG (light foot, coasting, no AC, etc)?

3. Of all the features you have, which is your favorite and why?

The ride is a bit on the soft side to my liking but comfortable for daily driving. Handles bumps and grade changes well, but everything is still new. I'll change the ride quality after a few thousand more miles. The suspension and handling is very good, the extended wheelbase and weight ratio was executed very well by Ford. I would like a little more feedback/feel on the steering but all these new cars act the same with the new racks.

I could work harder and get a few more mpg, but just keeping in mind the usual "hybrid driving" rules, you should see 40 easily. Feathering the pedal during acceleration helps. It's been high 20-low 30s in the morning so we have the heat on for most of the commute, so the gas engine stays on longer, but I don't see it affecting the MPG too bad.

Favorite feature? I would probably have to say the engine start/stop. Compared to some of the other cars (hybrid/non hybrid) I've test driven with this feature, this fusion works "as it should". What I mean is it is transparent for the most part, no jerking, no clunking, etc.. I compare it to one of our Challengers with MDS, the only way you can tell it is enabled is the exhaust tone.

As far as dislikes, I hate the wheels on the SE Hybrid (may need to grab a set of the Titanium wheels when they come out) and when the gas engine is on, it sounds like a lawn mower which makes me chuckle! I just may be the first owner to modify the exhaust on a '13 FFH. LOL

There are two basic ways to be on battery for the most time possible and thus optimize MPG... so see the below and experiment on your own as these two are just generalizations.

First is to baby the gas pedal to stay on battery, and that's fine if there is nobody behind you and you are in no hurry. But not a good idea if there is traffic behind you, as it's frustrating for other drivers, many of which seem to think they're at Martinsville and want to get the jump into Turn 1.

Second is to do the "pulse & glide" which is to NOT be easy on the gas, but to give a bit extra so that you quickly get to cruising speed (as long as that desired speed would still be on battery power, which is easier now that the electric motor will run exclusively up to 62MPH) and then let off on the gas and the ICE cuts out and the battery can more easily keep the car moving using electric and thus you end up gaining MPG even though you did use more during the acceleration. Just google that term, we discussed it to death on the Prius forum when I had one of those and would visit those forums.

I've started out on the first path and quickly found myself hating myself as traffic got irritated behind me (as I get usually while on the other side of that fence). I do leverage it where I can

The pulse and glide technique is something I have been trying to master, will be checking that out more to see what tips I can gain. Great advice Jeff, thank you.

One of the tricks for "pulse and glide" that I learned on my Escape hybrid is what I call the "brake tap". There are two ways to do it.

First, overshoot your desired electric speed by ~5mph, then let off the accellerator. Here, you either lightly tap the brake twice waiting a second in between taps, or watch for the rpm to drop just slightly then tap the brake once. That brake tap tells the hybrid system to shut the engine off (it assumes you are slowing down or coming to a stop). then you have to *LIGHTLY* press the accellerator until the motor maintains the speed. Too hard on the pedal and you'll bring the engine back to life.

This works well on the FEH, but that car was limited to <40MPH on electric speed. With 62+ mph on the Fusion, I'm not sure if it will work the same. Give it a try anyway.

Edited by jsamp

I take it you like Challengers! If I could afford a toy, you bet it would be one of those, and I am not a Chrysler fan, but that is one cool looking car. Compared to the 10, the 13 handles much better, you would down right HATE a 10-12 Hybrid. I think Ford knocked this one out with a Grand Slam. Very nice car, love the Adaptive cruise, lane keeping, BLIS, the MyFord Touch is eh, takes some getting used to, and hope they get the Applinks for it soon as promised, would love to control Pandora through the screen instead of having to grab the phone and go through the screen to thumb a song I dont like.

You are also 100% on the nail about the right screen, it needs more customization like the left screen has. Would be nice to be able to bring up some gauges, but apparently that only controls the MyTouch.