Ric

Mud Flaps anyone?

Are they hard to install? Do they require a dealer to do so?

Thanks!

I did it myself and didn't even jack up the car. If I could do it, anyone else can too! The rear one was a bit tricky, because the rear wheels don't turn :-)

I just put on the front mud flaps. It's an easy job...but do yourself a favor and buy some extra push pins to replace the ones removed. No matter how careful you remove them they really are one time use only. The directions say to reuse but they break coming out. I'll be going to Ford tomorrow to get some new push pins. See one of the posts above to see pictures of the pins/studs I'm talking about.

Edited by gkinla

I had no issues at all installing these as well, took about 45 minutes because I didn't have the correct socket to fit the back ones where the lower screw is tucked in so I used an adjustable crescent wrench. As far as the push pins, one word - fork - removes them without breaking and as easy as pie.

Yeah I didn't have any issues removing my push pins. Just used a small flathead screwdriver. They have a groove to fit it into for that purpose exactly. The whole installation of all 4 guards took me maybe 30 minutes.

Make sure you remove the pin from the push pin first :) I had no issues with mine either and just use a small screwdriver.

The rear one was a bit tricky, because the rear wheels don't turn :-)

You weren't kidding about the rear ones, kind of a knuckle buster, but it took about an hour in the baking sun to put them all on. I found putting the lower screw on the front ones to be a little tricky because the molding kind of gets in the way. I like the way it looks and hope it cuts down on some of the freeway crap that comes off the wheels.

I found my set of front and rear for about $80 on eBay.

I just finished mine - official FFH body-molded ones like those shown above. They are easy to install but the back ones do require extra time as they are screws instead of push-pins. Echoing what's above, it takes about 20m for the front and about 30m for the rear (times are very conservative). There's NO need to have a dealer do it. The instructions are super easy to follow.

You only need a torque wrench with a 7mm socket (no extension) and a small flat screwdriver. A light and small mirror would help initially for location of the screws, but they're not really needed.

After finishing, I wonder why they weren't just included. They really should have been.

Edited by KLH

I like the term 'Mud Flaps', it sounds so utilitarian.

There is another Thread in the Exterior>Modification Section for the other high class items called 'Splash Guards', which are exactly the same things.

Marketing names are so innovative.

The consensus seems to be that we all like them, with either name.

On my long mountain trip last month I didn't get much mud, but all the re-oiled or under construction roads really made a mess on the side of the car.

I wished I'd had them on before that trip. I like how they are constructed and fit perfectly, a nice job of manufacturing.

Yes, they seem like something that ought to come as standard equipment.

There is another Thread in the Exterior>Modification Section for the other high class items called 'Splash Guards', which are exactly the same things.

I tend to think of "mud flaps" as literally flaps of rubber that dangle behind the tires and keep mud/debris from splashing, but actually flapping around, like you see on a commercial truck. "Splash guards", to me, are what we have installed. A molded piece of trim or plastic that extends down behind the wheel but is rigid and does not flap. Though they both serve the same purpose, and yes I love mine.

On my long mountain trip last month I didn't get much mud, but all the re-oiled or under construction roads really made a mess on the side of the car.

I wished I'd had them on before that trip. I like how they are constructed and fit perfectly, a nice job of manufacturing.

Yes, they seem like something that ought to come as standard equipment.

I installed "mud flaps" in early May, No sign of loosening, still holding tight. I like the looks, when I see other 2013 Fusions on the road I look to see if they are installed. To me the Fusions look unfinished without mud flaps/splash guards. I agree, they should have been standard equipment.

Well I was too aggressive with one of the push pins and snapped it. Just one...

dealer had the nerve to charge me $1 for a new one...if you should need it.

Ford Front Splash Guard - Panel Rivet
W714040-S300

Well I was too aggressive with one of the push pins and snapped it. Just one...

dealer had the nerve to charge me $1 for a new one...if you should need it.

Ford Front Splash Guard - Panel Rivet
W714040-S300

I broke one too but the Dealer is too far away for convenience.

I went over to the local Lowe's big box store and they had them in the Specialty Automobile Fastener section of the hardware aisle. The big metal cabinets with all sorts of different fasteners and stuff.

They were marked as Ford replacement in a 2 pack for 80 cents a bag.

I broke one too but the Dealer is too far away for convenience.

I went over to the local Lowe's big box store and they had them in the Specialty Automobile Fastener section of the hardware aisle. The big metal cabinets with all sorts of different fasteners and stuff.

They were marked as Ford replacement in a 2 pack for 80 cents a bag.

That's something to keep in mind thanks for the post!

Here's how they look on Tuxedo Black:

IMG 1455

4P1A0791

Also have the side molding and shark fin (in the 1st image - just added)...

Edited by SD Diver

That I dont know, but they look pretty nice.

I ordered them, so we'll see. from china though, long wait??

Why is all this grap coming from China? I don't get it I would gladly pay a few bucks more and it's Made in USA!

Last week I bought a bag of garlic and at home I looked at the sticker and I was really pissed to see Made in China. C'mon garlic ???

The cheaper 'mud flaps' are made in China, my Ford OEM $80 version were made in Germany. Mine are very well made and smell like hops, yeast and grain.

You can thank labor for that. It costs more to have them made in the states, so companies can no longer compete with the low cost stuff from China.

There really isn't much these days that doesn't come there. I bought some Mahi Mahi and Tilapia, both frozen from a Canadian store and company that had them packed in China. I had read a story about not buying fish from there. Boy was I surprised.

Why is all this grap coming from China? I don't get it I would gladly pay a few bucks more and it's Made in USA!

Last week I bought a bag of garlic and at home I looked at the sticker and I was really pissed to see Made in China. C'mon garlic ???

From Wikipedia:

garlic is native to central Asia

So, it's good that your garlic comes from China.

From Wikipedia:

So, it's good that your garlic comes from China.

Haha don't defeat me with my own weapons :) it just crazy to think that it's cheaper to produce and ship it half way around the world than have it produced here.

Anyway back to topic this thread is way of course sorry for the interruption.

I'm not a big fan of mud flaps so nothing for me to worry about. ;)

Oh yeah, the mud flaps. Well they look ok, but then you have to drill holes in your loved one to mount them. Well that just is too tempting for Mr. Rust to ignore and I see a potential problem with that. I'll pass. :runaway:

Oh look - that was post number 100. Yikes does that make me a P-W? :)

Edited by inco