coach81

2013 Hybrid MPG Results

You're definitely more ambitious in the building department than I am. I still worry too much about trying to have an equal number of take offs and landings to spend that amount of time and effort building something. For now I'll stick with foam park flyers. Easier to repair! Nice work! :)

LOL Thanks, I think there is more fun in the building than in the flying, but when you take off a plane you built for the first time, fly the pattern and land it, its a great feeling! Still trying to figure out the best way to transport these in the Fusion. If you notice next to the drill press, those are my two flight boxes, one for gas, one for glow, and what you cant see is my repair box and parts box, all 4 of those go with me too, so have to fit those and at least 2 planes in on my Tuesday Excursions.

My Gasser gets great gas mileage too, I can fly for about 30 minutes on 14 ounces of gas. I get about 15 on glow in the smaller plane on 10 ounces, so going gas has its advantages, but needs a larger plane.

My Gasser gets great gas mileage too, I can fly for about 30 minutes on 14 ounces of gas. I get about 15 on glow in the smaller plane on 10 ounces, so going gas has its advantages, but needs a larger plane.

I see you've finally moved back on topic of MPG results. aviateurfou_zps8d8d4ddb.gif

Four out of our last five fill-ups have been above our current average mpg of 37.042 (calculated) - all four were at 39.0+ mpg. Best mpg on one tank was 40.806. MPG is slowly increasing - will be interesting to see how things go as we move into spring and summer.

Four out of our last five fill-ups have been above our current average mpg of 37.042 (calculated) - all four were at 39.0+ mpg. Best mpg on one tank was 40.806. MPG is slowly increasing - will be interesting to see how things go as we move into spring and summer.
I think the weather is warm enough to see 40+ MPGs in SoCal. What is your commute like? Mostly freeway? Lots if bumper-to-bumper? Lots of hills?

I am in SoCal also and I have been getting 50+ MPG in the morning commute and 40-44 MPG in the evening.

Edited by ace8726872

I see you've finally moved back on topic of MPG results. aviateurfou_zps8d8d4ddb.gif

Yeah, thought I would sneak that in so it was kinda sorta on topic. ;)

Love your MPG, ace. I have a mix of freeway driving and surface streets on my commute. Never bumper-to-bumper, but sometimes slows to 40 - 45 in spots. Going to work is a slow uphill drive, 40 minutes typically - 1540 feet to 2600 feet.elevation, so most of the morning commute is using ICE, not much in EV mode. 54.4 mpg on the drive home today - mostly in EV mode until hitting the freeway. Our mileage is better when I drive (I drove home today) - I pay more attention to the coach and maximize the time in EV as much as possible, but hubby usually drives (we work at same school) and he's got a heavy foot.

Love your MPG, ace. I have a mix of freeway driving and surface streets on my commute. Never bumper-to-bumper, but sometimes slows to 40 - 45 in spots. Going to work is a slow uphill drive, 40 minutes typically - 1540 feet to 2600 feet.elevation, so most of the morning commute is using ICE, not much in EV mode. 54.4 mpg on the drive home today - mostly in EV mode until hitting the freeway. Our mileage is better when I drive (I drove home today) - I pay more attention to the coach and maximize the time in EV as much as possible, but hubby usually drives (we work at same school) and he's got a heavy foot.

Wow, 54.4 mpg is awesome!!! Great job. That uphill just kills any chance of getting a decent mpg. But if you get 34 mpg in the morning and 54 in the evening, you are getting 44 mpg average, you would be getting 44 mpg which is not bad at all.

Your story about your hubby reminds me of the State Farm commercial for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQR8rj2BO-8

Just got 51.2 MPG coming to work this morning. It was 32 degrees F with Ice on my windshield when I got in the car. My morning trip is much more downhill than the return, but If I can start getting 50+ in the morning, I'll be ecstatic. So far my lowest return trip was 35, so I figure an average of 42+ per day is pretty good doing primarily highway driving. I think I'm getting the hang of this.

I fight my way through DC traffic 5 days a week. Not too bad in the mornings as I go very early. Afternoon sees some slowdowns, but I'm only 14 miles from work so not as bad a commute as it is for many around here. Still struggling to get out of the upper 30's (avg right now is 38.5), with just over 4K total miles driven. Funny thing is most of my trips in the past few weeks have been in the 40+ range but my overall average is still stuck around 38. I know the avg won't change as fast the more miles you drive, but I envy those of you that are getting 40+ already.

~Wailer

Edited by wailer

Hiccup . . . duplicate post removed.

Edited by wailer

I took a 127 mile trip yesterday on the PA Turnpike and got 43.7 MPG. Temp was mid 40s. My Acc was set at 67, but saw 70+ MPH most of the way. Coming back ACC set at 67MPH and got 45.4. I traveled 67MPH most of the way and temp was in the mid 50s.

Sounds like you did well in it! That ACC is great on the highways. My last trip last night in mine was with ACC most of the way, including through Crystal Lake. Love it!

I took a 127 mile trip yesterday on the PA Turnpike and got 43.7 MPG. Temp was mid 40s. My Acc was set at 67, but saw 70+ MPH most of the way. Coming back ACC set at 67MPH and got 45.4. I traveled 67MPH most of the way and temp was in the mid 50s.

This sounds like it belongs in MPG Happy Talk! :)

This sounds like it belongs in MPG Happy Talk! :)

Indeed! Anything over 40 in these is happy miles! Anything over 50 is Shut the front door, Really!

I just want to say thanks for all the great information in this thread. To those who are getting good mileage who are annoyed with the few who aren't, please be aware that while it might be old news to you, it's definitely useful info to those who haven't bought the car yet who are researching. In any case, I've gotten a lot of info from those in both camps.

Edited by Aquineas

Wow, 54.4 mpg is awesome!!! Great job. That uphill just kills any chance of getting a decent mpg. But if you get 34 mpg in the morning and 54 in the evening, you are getting 44 mpg average, you would be getting 44 mpg which is not bad at all.

No, you're not getting 44 mpg average. Consider this problem: 300 miles total, stiff wind (or uphill) gives 30 mpg one way, 60 mpg on the return trip. Average is 40 mpg, not 45: 150 mi @ 30 mpg = 5 gal, 150 mi @ 60 mpg = 2.5 gal, total 7.5 gal; 300/7.5 = 40. That's why any mpg figures that are not round-trip are nearly meaningless.

BTW, I have about 3400 miles with a lifetime 40.4 mpg, which includes one 900-mile interstate trip at 70-75 mph and many up/downhill local trips at 50-60 mph, with mostly mild temperatures. I'm very happy, not because the mileage is so great but because the car, taken as a whole, is.

Edited by fhalasz

Took a 195.7 mile round trip today from LAX (Los Angeles International Airport) to Beaumont, CA. Got a average of 45.2 MPG

The first screen shot is going to Beaumont, CA which is at 2,500 ft altitude. This is why I believe the mileage is just at 40 MPG which I thought was great. I set the ACC at 65 MPH using ECO Cruse. The more I use the ACC the more I really like it. My 2010 FFH had conventional cruse control and didn't use it much except for long open roads.

IMG_2446.jpg

This second screen shot is returning to LAX, again setting the ACC at 65 MPH. We're now going down hill.

IMG_2448.jpg

This 3rd screen shot is average for the 195.7 miles

IMG_2447.jpg

The 2013 FFH will do what's advertised when you let it do it's thing without over thinking it.

Edited by gkinla

Those are really good numbers and they pretty much match the once I'm getting between Thousand Oaks and Mission Viejo.

I don't have my current trip 1 average in head but its right around 45 MPG as well with close to 400 miles on the tank.

65 MPH seems to be an absolute sweet spot for the FFH.

Those are great numbers. The sweet spot appears to be right about there from what I read on the Cmax forum. There was a nice thread over there where someone discovered how to get the sweet spot. I know my 10 has a sweet spot, I can occasionally find it, somewhere around 60 that I can feather the throttle and cruise with barely any gas, and the instant hovering right around 50. Usually traffic doesnt cooperate, so I dont get to do it often and only on fairly level roads.

My car may be coming around as far as mileage goes. I put her in the garage the last week or so instead of outside and it seems to help. I also changed to the Engage mode instead of Empower which seems to help me. I have been averaging 38 just in town to work and short trips instead of 33. The weather has warmed up also. Here in Oregon there is not really a lot of flat roads as there is always hills or mountains so mileage will vary just because of that. The mileage is still way behind the FFH leaders here but there may be some hope for my girl. :)

My car may be coming around as far as mileage goes. I put her in the garage the last week or so instead of outside and it seems to help. I also changed to the Engage mode instead of Empower which seems to help me. I have been averaging 38 just in town to work and short trips instead of 33. The weather has warmed up also. Here in Oregon there is not really a lot of flat roads as there is always hills or mountains so mileage will vary just because of that. The mileage is still way behind the FFH leaders here but there may be some hope for my girl. :)

The warm weather definitely helps!

I bought my 2013 Fusion Hybrid 9 days ago. After a day of driving it I saw my avg was around 31 MPG. I took it to the dealership and they came out and reset my computer so it dropped off the 100+ miles of test drives everyone else was taking on it. Now after 8 days and 300 miles later, I'm avg about 44 and it's slowly climbing as I "learn" how to drive it. Past three trips have all been well over 50 MPG so I'm pretty sure I'll get close to 47+ MPG on average. I was also surpsied that on a cold day my engine was running longer than normal, even when I had plenty of charge in the battery. Came here and read some posts and learned that when it's cold, the ICE runs longer to help warm it up. I suspect most people who complain about the MPG have not learned how to drive it and so throttle the gas like a normal car and brake like a normal car. Or they haven't reset the computer. Of course there could actually be a problem with the car too but I do believe that there are a lot out there getting the mileage that Ford is claiming. I for one am a believer!