Sign in to follow this  
jsamp

Hybrid/PHEV competitor info

I figured this forum needed a new topic. Here is my collection of competitor info gleaned from various web sites. Hope it helps.

- sorry, the attachment didn't work.

Edited by jsamp

Other than the Prius(note, only the PHEV is listed), no other car has close to the same EPA ratings. Now for a better comparison, comfort and room vs the others.

A word about the Prius....

I have really like the vehicle since it first came out...the technology was groundbreaking (smart key, rear view cam, true hybrid system, etc), and I loved the +50 MPG you could get with it... I lived on the Prius chat forums for quite a while (I still post there frequently - ask Acdii), but I gotta be honest... it has gotten such a negative wrap for being a "wussy car" and worse.. I practically blew up prius chat a few years ago when I informed them what my wife, friends and family all thought of me buying one... oh man.. did I hear from the Prius faithful -"what you gotta get your 'wife's permission' to do anything, etc..etc..!!!

I was about to just tell everyone (wife, and friends) where they could go.. or something to that effect.. as I was really looking hard at the PIP... until the info on the FFH '13 came out... my wife LOVED IT.. and all my friends said.. "Sweet Ride!"... TBH.. I really could have dealt with being a Prius owner, but I just didn't want to have to DEFEND MY CAR to everyone all the time.. down here in South Louisiana.. it seems you either have to drive a big Truck, or a gas guzzlin' fast car... so the Prius is the exact opposite of that.. and I just didn't want to have to defend my vehicle for the next 10 years or so...

Now with the FFH, I may not get my 50 MPG (or even the 47 they promised it seems), but if I can come close to 40 I figure that is light years better than my current 11-12 MPG on the Frontier...plus the technology is cutting edge also.

Sorry for the rant.... but I got to do something while waiting for my new car to arrive :runaway:

Edited by coach81

Yeah, I cant see you as one of them. :) I owned an 07 and it handled poorly, crosswinds were a handful and going up a slippery slope, forgetaboutit. While the Hycam was a step up, it was no Fusion. The 2010 is a much better car than either the Prius or Camry, and the 13 is amazing( dont go by mine, go by others whose cars are working properly).

I owned an 07 and it handled poorly, crosswinds were a handful and going up a slippery slope, forgetaboutit.

Now that you mentioned it, you brought back memories of my 05 Prius, the MPG was great (still have my spreadsheet somewhere, my average MPG over 130k was somewhere between 50-51), the way it got blown around by crosswinds was no fun.

Another thing I remember.. was the few test drives I had with the car.. I remember them as being "good".. but not all that great. Not knocking the car.. it is fantastic for what it is.. the best fuel saving vehicle in its class..just wasn't all that impressed with the drive and the ride of it..

Another thing I remember.. was the few test drives I had with the car.. I remember them as being "good".. but not all that great. Not knocking the car.. it is fantastic for what it is.. the best fuel saving vehicle in its class..just wasn't all that impressed with the drive and the ride of it..

I agree with your assessment of the Prius. I hates the ride in my Honda Civic. It rode like a small compact car; it was loud, everything rattled, small, uncomfortable, and everything in the car felt very cheap. I was really looking forward to the test drivers I have not been in any Prius before I test-drove one a few weeks ago. I test-drove the FFH first and really liked it. Then I read about the negativity about the MPG from the media, magazines and the owners. I was not so sure about owning another American car after having a terrible experiences in my Buick 30 years ago. Then I test-drove the Prius. I really wanted to like the Prius so much so that I can just go buy one. But the truth is that I really didn't like the car. The Prius was way better than my Civic for sure but not by much. I didn't like the way it looked, didn't like the ride nor the interior design. The NAV looked like a Nintendo Gameboy. And like Coach81 mentioned, I didn't like the Prius image. I am not a die-hard tree hugger or an eco-warrior. I didn't feel like spending a lot of money for a car I wasn't crazy about just to save a few dollars for each tank of gas. Now, if I had lots of money, I wouldn't mind buying a new Tesla Model S. Now that is a great car period, regardless of it being a hybrid or at any price range, at least according to the specs.

I have the privilege of working in the laboratory on our main campus today. As I was making the turn into the lot, I noticed two cars ahead was a Kia, followed by a Hyundai, then me, and behind me a Toyota. All hybrid sedans.