ffhseattle

How do you get maximum regenerative braking?

Well, for a brief overview that hopefully is understood, when you apply braking in the Fusion, the computer determines whether to regen or use the friction brakes(pads and rotors). If the battery is low, it will attempt to use as much regen as possible based on the position of the brake pedal, The harder you press the more it will generate power and push it to the batteries up to a set limit*, once that is reached it will switch to the hydraulic brakes.

The Brake Coach can help you with that, if you push too hard it will start using both, too light and it will undercharge. Need to get it just right, the amount of pressure needed to slow the car down at a good steady pace over the distance traveled, so that when you reach your stop, it will be soft and gentle. A good guide is on a rural road @55MPH, when you see the stop ahead sign, start braking and apply enough pressure so that when you are almost to the stop you are under 10 MPH, so that a twitch of your toe is all it takes to fully stop.

*The computer determines how much energy it can force into the batteries based on percentage of charge, temperature, etc. to prevent too fast a charge, or over charge.

Whenever you're calling for significant power, the system wants the ICE to do it. Don't thwart that. The EV mode is for lower power demands so don't force it except sometimes when the SOC is high you may be able to massage the EV mode slightly better than the computer. I learned to do that upon approaching home with the 2010 FFH. The 2013 now learns that itself. You really want to have the SOC at normal or below when you park the car long enough for it to cool down. The extra ICE running time on the next startup will bring the SOC up to normal more efficiently. I believe that most 2013 owners are going to get the advertised mileage when they learn the new techniques and the weather warms up.

What I find most effective, and the coach agrees, start out rolling on EV for about 5-7 MPH and let the ICE kick in. When you do it right you wont even feel the ICE spin up. What it doesn't like is hitting the throttle from a dead stop, it will drop that bar faster than Congress voting on an unread bill. However accelerating on EV only up to say 30 MPH does waste fuel because now you have to recharge the batteries with the ICE, and that is where the gas gets wasted. Go read the thread accelerating under the Hybrid tricks forum.

What I find most effective, and the coach agrees, start out rolling on EV for about 5-7 MPH and let the ICE kick in. When you do it right you wont even feel the ICE spin up. What it doesn't like is hitting the throttle from a dead stop, it will drop that bar faster than Congress voting on an unread bill. However accelerating on EV only up to say 30 MPH does waste fuel because now you have to recharge the batteries with the ICE, and that is where the gas gets wasted. Go read the thread accelerating under the Hybrid tricks forum.

This is also how I do it, but normally go EV until 10MPH if there are cars behind me and 20MPH if not... then nudge the gas a bit more and the ICE comes on. I remembered back to being a kid and sliding down hills in the snow and trying to push to get your friend started -- took a lot of oomph to get his fat can moving from sitting still in the sled but once he was moving a bit it took less oomph to continue to get him going as fast as possible before heading down the hill. So this is what I think of when starting off dead with EV, as going with ICE from a dead stop will likely use more gas than optimal.

Yeah, not really sure when I let the ICE kick on, but with practice, you will get it.

Just dont do it with 480# in the trunk. Also regen braking, not very effective either with that much weight.

No, he drives down hill both ways in the winter. When it warms up the darn roads by him switch and he has to drive uphill both ways!

:yahoo: :hysterical: :hysterical3:

For those of you seeing a big variation in mileage on short trips, this is normal. A small difference between beginning and ending HVB charge is usually the cause in trips of ten miles or so. It evens out over time.