Sign in to follow this  
ethereal

Wouldn't start despite 80+% charge on hybrid HV battery

Hello everyone!

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid ("502A" package), and in general I'm happy with it (despite lower mileage than expected).

Last night, I believe I left the parking lights on (light rotary switch in the "P" position), and this morning, for the first time since buying this car, I had a dead battery. Remote unlock wouldn't work, instrument cluster wouldn't light up when key was turned , the code unlock didn't work, and, of course, it wouldn't start. Got a jumpstart for the underhood "low voltage" battery from roadside assistance. Many of my settings had been reset after the jumpstart (I had it set to the maximum information display mode with the accessory + power curve meters, fuel efficiency bar graph etc., and the long term fuel economy had also been reset to zero), so I think many of the electronics truly lost power.

The surprising (to me) thing was that the hybrid HV battery was still at 80+%! I was under the impression that the large HV battery could compensate for the underhood battery and start the car and power electronics if it had completely discharged.

My question: was I mistaken? Have other FFH owners experienced this phenomenon, where the underhood battery is drained but the HV battery is nearly full and yet the car won't start?

Thanks,

Derek

The under hood battery runs electronics and computer lights etc as you can see without it you need a jump start just as in any car no computer no go.

As for your mileage this would be your driving style and habits, this car will do better than advertised with no problems, and on the other hand it will do much less, the results are up to the driver. Even when I'm not trying I find it hard to get out of the 40's. I'm sure I'm not the only one but I'm positive I will go the life of this car and never have a fill up not in the 40's. And if it does happen it will come on my next road trip to CA from OK which would be fine with me and somewhat expected. Even on this long road trip I have no doubt the average will be over 40 even if I get a tank in the 30's.

Dennis, thanks for the response! I guess that's the way it is on the underhood battery and starting the car, though it seems a shame that with all that energy stored up the vehicle is dead.

Re: mileage, I should explain. I'm in California (running California gas and its additives) and I generally get better average highway mileage than in-city mileage. On the highway, with my tire pressure at 34 psi, I get about 39 mpg. Reasonable. In city, and I drive with the "empower" mode so I try and get it in the "green zone" much of the time if the battery charge lets me, I get about 33 on the average. This is despite being careful to do regenerative braking (i.e. not come to a screeching halt but slowly brake) etc. I think part of the problem is the fact that you can't use the battery soon after starting up, and then sometimes it goes back to "white" on the thermometer logo after being green for some time. I also find it hard to stay in electric mode when the hybrid battery energy level drops below 50%. Maybe I just have a bit of a lemon if your experience is much better? Or I just haven't learned the tricks? If the battery is fully charged up, I can do 50-60 mpg driving carefully for 5-6 mile city trips, but on the whole, I get about 33.

The under hood battery runs electronics and computer lights etc as you can see without it you need a jump start just as in any car no computer no go.

As for your mileage this would be your driving style and habits, this car will do better than advertised with no problems, and on the other hand it will do much less, the results are up to the driver. Even when I'm not trying I find it hard to get out of the 40's. I'm sure I'm not the only one but I'm positive I will go the life of this car and never have a fill up not in the 40's. And if it does happen it will come on my next road trip to CA from OK which would be fine with me and somewhat expected. Even on this long road trip I have no doubt the average will be over 40 even if I get a tank in the 30's.

I don't feel you have a lemon you just don't have it all figured out. You should do much better than 33 in town. Granted the California mix gas is different but you should be able to do much better than that. One key trick in the winter is never use Automatic climate unless on the highway with car warmed up. It you keep the climate on the ICE will always run if the water temp is not in operating mode so to speak. A simple thing like waiting to turn on the heat until after the temp reaches green lets you drive in EV much more. A big aid is to pulse and glide so get up momentum and then back off enough to maintain speed and go in EV, this can only be done at 45 mph or below. It takes much more finess when the charge level is below 50% but it is not that difficult once you get the hang of it. The biggest killer in town is the heavy foot when accelerating and the other is opposite trying to accelerate in EV mode. Moderate acceleration up to speed and backing off nets much better mpg. In short anytime the climate is on the ICE will run if the water temp is not up, turn it off when not needed.