darynm

Remote engine starter/alarms for hybrids FFH

I made a very bold decision to add an aftermarket remote start/alarm system to my brand new 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid. I have used many in the past, but not on a hybrid. I had researched as much as possible and just could not find much info about doing remote starts specifically on FFH cars. I had wrecked my brain if I was going to mess up my car and have major regret about my decision. I had decided on a Vipor 5904 brand of remote start made by Directed Electronics that makes several lines of remote staters and alarm systems. I just could not allow my reason of judgement to be swayed by Ford to go with their remote starter that isn't even made by them. So, in a real sense it is an outside company or aftermarket (audiovox) supplier that makes it for them or just rebadges it or makes slight modifications for ford. Regardless of the outcome, I had problems with the remote starter not being an alarm all in one system and at an reasonable price. Playing the void the warranty card is one that has been used by manufactures for years and on all new cars of every brand. There is always risk that unqualified installers could mess up a vehicle if you are not wise to a proper authorized alarm/remote start installer dealer that backs their installations and insures against vehicle damage themselves. Car dealers (Ford) have to prove that the installation affected problems you have with the car in order to void the warranty. It's on you to ask the right questions and validate.

Moving forward, the remote start works great! It was a little worrysome but my installer told me he had done several hybrids of various makes and if done properly it would work without dissruption to the mechanics of the car. If it's cold keep the temp on full warm or hot which maxes out at 90 degress. The car will start in EV mode, but seconds later the motor starts until the car engine is warmed up to normal operating temperatures and EV mode takes over again. The same for Cold. My remote has an OLED display that shows the inside temperature of the car and shows the count down timer which I have set at 20 min to allow for times I might be delayed.

So, there are alternatives to dealer options folks. Do your homework. I called the manufacture of the remote start and although they do suggest finding the right kind of installer that their remote start/alarm systems will integrate with hybrids if done properly as in any vehicle. If a dealer has hesitations about it than move on.

I'm loving my remote starter/alarm all installed for 599.00 out the door and I got the best one on the market...

I hope this helps

Make your own decision and understand there is always risk, but it has worked out well for me and understand these systems are complicated and many installs can have tweeks or minor adjustments made even after the job is done. Many reputable installers don't charge for these adjustments...

Good luck

Edited by darynm

I am about to custom order a 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE. I am opting out of the Remote start to add the Viper 5904. However, I am also getting the Keyless Entry.

Question, will they work together? Meaning, if you walk up to the car with your fob, will Viper unarm and allow entry? Or does the fob unlock the door, but leave the Viper system armed, thus setting off the alarm when you enter?

Also, as far as opening windows, / sunroof? Did you have to get additional modules for that? Or does the Viper work with the factory system to open them?

I am still in the shopping / configuration mode and have not yet ordered the car.

My alarm installer is going to call Viper tomorrow to ask, but I saw your post so thought I would ask, and get any advise. I would really like the Viper system, but having to use two different remotes seems like a waist. And I really would like to have the keyless entry and push button start.

Order the Ti if you want PBS. As for the remote, you will need two fobs for after market. You could get factory installed remote and a Lojack if security is your concern. The factory alarm works just as well as any aftermarket, provided of course you actually lock the car with the fob.

In regards to the factory alarm working as well as aftermarket, the Viper give two way communication. And more range. If the car is tampled with the remote notifies the owner. The factory one does not as far as I know. Plus the Viper can use an iPhone app with many more features. Google Viper 5904.

Oh, I see, so you get notified so you can run out and watch as the car is driven away! :) Sure beats walking out later saying, Dude! Where's my car? <no Sarcasm, just joking!

For me, if they want the car bad enough, take it, that's what insurance is for. Besides, I learned long ago, never keep anything in the car that is worth something.

Then again, I no longer live in the City, so never mind what I say, totally understandable for the city dwellers to want everything on the car that keeps the baddies away!

Well, actually there are many stories of Viper owners where someone goes to the car and starts looking in getting ready to steal it and it sets off the alarm in silent mode. The owner then call the police who show up as the person is breaking in and get caught.

Plus, if you in bed and hear an alarm going off in the middle of the night you know if its yours or not, and you can reset it or silence the alarm.

It also gives current in car temp so that you know if you want to cool or heat it. Plus a log more features.

This is the time of technology, and a car like this with so much technology should do better then a remote that has none.

Man, if I turn sarcasm on, I could have so much fun with that. Anyway, whichever you do, sure you will enjoy the car! :happy feet:

Food for thought for those interested...both Viper and Compustar have all in one pke, alarm, and remote start packages that are compatible with your smart phones if you don't want to go for the OEM system.

Thanks for the info, by the way, What is pke? So basically forget the OEM remote entry, remote start, / alarm and go Viper or Compustar. I am just not sure of the cost, I went into one shop and they quoted the Viper system installed, but then I mentioned rolling down the windows remote, and they started talking modules. I saw the window thing on Youtube. Plus trunk release etc.

I guess you just have to go with two remotes. The OEM and the Viper in that instance.

he meant package im sure, but it will almost cost you as much as getting it from ford and still have to carry 2 remotes

Yes that is true, but the Viper system is much more advance, has much better range and two way communication. It shows the inside temp of the car, etc.

If I get Keyless entry, and push button start then I don't have to use the Ford fob, just have it on me. I would then just use the Viper remote to arm/unarm and access the car.

i dont think you can use remote start on push button start cars from what i know i may be wrong on this and ford offers a 2 way communication device with same range as viper

The TI has Remote Keyless Entry w/ Intelligent Access with Push button start.

I am also looking at the SE which may not have all that.

But, thanks for the info, I did not know the Ford remote had two way comunication and good range.

Its all just about personal preference. For me, I ordered and SE back in NOV'12 because the price was ultimately cheaper and the vehicle would arrive before a TI hybrid. I really wanted the TI hybrid but couldn't wait and I found out online I could get the intelligent access w/push start as after market products if I still wanted to pursue that option. I have my black on black SE hybrid and plan to add the Compustar (computer or smart phone control, remote start and alarm) with Ezgo (passive keyless entry, and 2 aux options) kit for an installed priced of $850. Sure it doesn't have push button start but that's and easy add on for any electronic/ audio shop that is already installing your Compustar/Ezgo kit.

$850 and u can still use the global open n close of your windows or that also an additional charge

Well, I got some quotes from my dealer. I am leaning heavy on the TI. I am dropping the Moonroof, and Active park assist and keeping everything else. I am a little unsure about the Driver Assist package. Not sure how much I would use that, just to keep me in the lanes. Anyone have an opinion?

I do want Adaptive Cruise, as I do a lot of driving, and of course Navigation. Anyway, just trying to trip the price. :)

Theres more to the DA package. Lane keeping is just one of the items, it also has auto high beams which work quite well, rain sensing wipers, cross traffic alert, and BLIS. The last two are must have for me, wouldn't want the car without them. Not so much for BLIS, but the cross traffic is great when you are backing out of a spot in a mall parking lot and stuck between to stupid user vehicles. If someone is walking or driving towards you, you wont see them in the backup cam until its too late, but the car will beep and flash a light on the mirror on the side the person/car is on to let you know. This feature makes the rest well worth the cost.

Good information, thank you. I do a lot of driving, about 30,000 last year so those are importand features. I am thinking I will keep the DA package. I can live without the moon roof, and I almost never parallel park, and when I do I am good at it :)

What is this Parallel park thingy people keep talking about? How hard is it to pull into or back out of a parking slot that you need the car to do it?

J/K I had the opportunity the other night to show it off and didn't, I just slid into the space in front of the other car. I used the PA one time when I had the Flex, worked like a charm, but that was 2 years ago, and havent had to park since.

Exactly, I parallel parked maybe once or twice last year, so don't need to pay another $20.00 per month for that, like $120.00 each time I park :) lol

But think I want the other items :)...!!

I parallel park in New York City a lot. That keeps my skills sharp. I got everything but the parking assist, no need for it.

so do i living in nyc and working in nyc all i do is parallel park, and besides there rarely is enough room to fit since everyone likes to park so dam close to one another that would be a waste of money to me

so do i living in nyc and working in nyc all i do is parallel park, and besides there rarely is enough room to fit since everyone likes to park so dam close to one another that would be a waste of money to me

I'd think the park assist would actually be perfect for that. Since you say there is barely enough space, the park assist would be able to tell you if you could fit, and it would help you get as close as possible to the bumpers of the other car without risking hitting them. That's not to say your car won't be banged up from other drivers constantly backing and pulling into your bumper when they park.

yea mine came with the back up sensors so i know i dont hit in the rear im pretty tall so i can see how much clearance i have in the front so far knock on wood no scratches on either bumpers in little more than a month since i got it from the lot