jacques

FFH 2010 towing question?

The manual specifically states that you cannot tow with the Fusion hybrid.

I am curious as to why? What stresses does towing put on the vehicle that having two 200 pound adults in the back seat does not?

I am truly curious. Is it frame related? Or transmission?

That said, I do have a 1 1/4 inch class 1 hitch on my FFH 2010 just so I could put my bike rack on it.

I'm considering purchasing one of the platforms to put camping gear on.

Will that cause a problem?

I don't intend to load it up much, but a lot of the camping gear is bulky, not necessarily heavy.

I think its more of a legal issue (the weight can be people or bags of fertilizer in the trunk, a utility trailer whatever) but the dealership may frown on seeing a hitch on the car. superhero.gif

I am curious as to why? What stresses does towing put on the vehicle that having two 200 pound adults in the back seat does not?

That said, I do have a 1 1/4 inch class 1 hitch on my FFH 2010 just so I could put my bike rack on it.

I don't intend to load it up much, but a lot of the camping gear is bulky, not necessarily heavy.

Generally, towing a trailer of a given weight takes more power than carrying an equivalent weight in the vehicle. More heat is produced in the drive train and the radiators in towing vehicles are bigger. In moderate conditions probably nothing would happen but under harsher conditions, limits could be exceeded. The transmission is designed so at mid point speeds and loads, there is little MG1 rotation and the eCVT acts as a direct coupling. Of course there is always a little rotation and sometimes a lot. With a trailer load, the ICE RPM would be higher and MG1 would be operating as a generator supplying MG2 with power. This would produce continuously more heat in the electrical coolant system which has a fairly small radiator. If you have a problem, take off the hitch before you take it to the dealer.

Actually, it's not just the hybrids. The manuals for all the Fusions state no towing allowed.

It's a different issue with the Escape. There, it is only the hybrid that cannot tow. Most likely for the reasons that lolder stated.