104 members have voted

1. 1. Did you buy the extended warranty for your hybrid?

Wow, I'm glad I didn't cave in. My dealership said it would be $1800 for the premium 6 yr 75k miles, and if I didn't do it before I bought the car and tried to get it the next day, the cheapest I could get one would be $3900....That seems a little ridiculous after seeing the prices listed above. I did end up buying the extended maintenance plan for $525 for 3yr 36k, not sure if that was a good deal or not. He said the 15 and 30k inspections would be $300 so I'd be saving money on those, plus get oil changes, wiper blades for free. I guess I should have done some research first.

I just had to replace the sunroof tracks on my 2010 Milan. $870 + labor. ESP covered it. I had a $400 led taillight assembly replaced back in May, so I've pretty much even on the deal. The funny thing is I got ESP because I was concerned with the cutting edge hybrid tech and the sync electronics, Which ahve been flawless so far.

My 2011 f250 sync system always had issues. Wouldnt constantly reproduce the issue tho and it wasnt covered under warranty since i couldnt. Had the ESP on it and ended up getting the ac replaced with it because it was leaking more than a broken water pipe.

I might have bought an extended warranty had I been offered one from Ford. Instead the finance guy was hard selling a third party extended warranty and did not even give me the opportunity to look at Ford's extended warranty. It was painfully clear to me it was all about the finance guy meeting his sales goal. He totally pissed me off.

My sister, Ms Soft Touch, got taken to the cleaners by the Lexus dealer in Denver. She bought a 2013 Lexus ES300 hybrid after I bought my MKZ hybrid. She paid full sticker, plus paid for that useless "protection" package, as well as an extended warranty. Total bill? $52K+ for a $46K car. Unbelievable!

I got a 4 year 125K plan for the same price as Flood Ford offered. My dealer knows me well enough to know not to try to over sell me. Instead I asked for it. With the amount of miles I put on, I can easily go beyond 125K in 4 years. Have 7600 on the HyTi now since getting it June 4th.

I got a 4 year 125K plan for the same price as Flood Ford offered. My dealer knows me well enough to know not to try to over sell me. Instead I asked for it. With the amount of miles I put on, I can easily go beyond 125K in 4 years. Have 7600 on the HyTi now since getting it June 4th.

You're piling the miles on faster than I am and I'm driving over 300mi per week.

You're piling the miles on faster than I am and I'm driving over 300mi per week.

74 miles a day for us, plus weekend trips. Adds up fast. During the summer its closer to 100 miles a day with dropping the kids off at the sitter and picking them up. We still put 100 miles on ever Monday since the kids are at the grandparents after school that day. Since March when I got the Flex, between that one and the HyTi we have 13,500 miles combined, and that doesnt include what ever miles we put on the 2010 between March and June 4th, just rolled past 4500 on the Flex yesterday.

I do 97 mi on days I commute to work, but I only have to commute three days per week as I work from home twice a week. My wife could drive the FFH when I work from home, but she has a bad habit of being the first to put scratches on our cars and she always does it in parking garages so she's perfectly happy driving her car to work. Besides, she knows how hard I try to maximize my MPG and she has more of a lead foot.

Figured id throw this in there, the dealership ford of greenfield ive dealt with in the past for extended warrantys and they are within a few dollars of the cheapest and the guy who does them (troy) is really quick to answer any questions. They also have alot of other dealerships by the same owner so alot of companys they can do the ESP's for.

Just a place to check with when you shop around.

Another benefit to the Ford ESP and buying it early is the rental coverage for same day drop-off.

I count on this and need it and it is included in the plan if you pay for that feature.

I know that if you are on good terms with the dealer they will often give you a rental,

but this is not guaranteed. Even for minor issues, if it's warranty related, you get a car.

And I have not gotten a definite confirmation of this, but the car rental is not part of the

standard factory warranty. They tell me you get this with the ESP. So I buy the ESP

on day 2 of owning the car (Koch is very good, have used them 2 times now).

I am using this feature today as I am dropping off my car to leave all day for the BSM issue.

Dealership has their own rental, so I drive off in a rental without any inconvenience.

So the key is to buy before 12 months or 12,000 miles because at that point the price increases. In this case it would increase by $100. I didn't realize the increase would be so much. We'll cross 12,000 miles by June 1st. I guess we need to decide by then if we're going to buy an ESP now or forgo the decision until 36 months or 35,999 miles... The other risk with waiting is that the ESP price may increase...

Maybe another way of looking at it is that by waiting until closer to 35,000/36 you can make a more informed decision based on your repair history with your car. An increase of $100 is chicken feed considering the base cost of $1755.00. If you have a good experience with your car (few problems) during that 36 months, then you might decide to set aside the $1855.00 in an Al Gore lock box dedicated to future car repairs for your FFH. And if your good repair history continues, then you are $1855.00 richer in the end.

What you need to decide on in order to go with an ESP or not, are you going to keep the car for the term of the ESP or not. In my case I roll through cars until I find the perfect one. When I find that perfect one, then I get an ESP on it. On my HyTi I decided from the start to ESP it for 125K miles, I planned to keep it a long time, well past 125K miles. Hoping I dont need it, but glad I have it in case I do.

It's an insurance policy, nothing more, sometimes they pay off, most times they don't. Your car insurance is the same thing, there when you need it, hope you never ever do. Same with GAP insurance, hope you never ever need it, but oh so glad to have it when you do.

It is called the "Disappearing Deductible". The Disappearing Deductible option eliminates the $100 deductible when ESP covered repairs are performed at the Dealership where the Extended Service Plan was purchased.

So, it's not that you have to pay the deductible at other dealers, it is that you _don't_ have to pay the deductible at your "home" dealership. It allows buying the ESP plan for less money, but still not have a deductible, at least if you go to your "home" dealership.

I don't really know which dealerships offer that ESP option of the disappearing deductible. I got mine from Flood since there was no way my dealer could come close to matching their low prices. :)