104 members have voted

1. 1. Did you buy the extended warranty for your hybrid?

I never buy extended warranties, but I am new to hybrids and was curious if an extended warranty is worth the money on them. What is the life expectancy on the batteries and would they even be covered by an extended warranty anyways? Thanks for any help provided!

I never buy extended warranties, but I am new to hybrids and was curious if an extended warranty is worth the money on them. What is the life expectancy on the batteries and would they even be covered by an extended warranty anyways? Thanks for any help provided!

I never buy them either, but I bought one for this car.

The batteries have a long warranty. Look in your manual. . .

Eneg

I did and I do. Shop online for the best prices, dealers usually are way more and the warranty is honored all over. I now only get Ford Extended Warranties. Many of the third party companies just don't cover all they claim. I usually break even on them. I keep my vehicles for 8-10 years and over that timeframe something goes wrong. With a Ford ESP they are usually the least amount of headaches.

Dan

I'd absolutely go with the Ford warranty over any third party.

What is the cost for the extended warranty on the Fusion Hyd.?

I never buy warranties either and after extensively researching this car - chose not to buy the extended warranty.

I bought a Ford ESP, because I figured that with all of the electronics in the car, if something does go wrong, the cost to repair won't be cheap. I also shopped online and got a much better price than the dealership offered.

I found the extended warranty at much cheaper than dealer offered. My dealer offered $1195 6yr 75K, I got online from fordwarrantys.com for $795.

Never, ever, ever extended warranties......ever! You would not believe what a profit center and cash cow extended warranties are for the dealership and the underwriter. I have worked in a Ford and Toyota dealership in a sales capacity. I have seen it all. I have done it all. I know where the cash comes from and where it goes. If you do your homework and research your vehicles, you will never, ever, ever need to pay for someone's vacation or Christmas bonus again, (by forking over thousands needlessly). Sure, it pays off. About as often as the lottery. The numbers are staggering. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't seen it first hand. Also, never, ever, ever, ever bring your vehicle in as a "trade-in". You might as well bend over, and bring extra lube!

You might as well bend over, and bring extra lube!

I agree for a customer that just buys a full price warranty from the dealer without question. However I bought mine on line and don't feel ripped off (didn't make use of all that I paid for it, but have no regrets), and my co-worker bought one on line for under $1,000 and has had over $3,000 of work done on his FFH for an eletrical/electronics issue that required the replacement of several components. I think he was pretty happy that he had one and would probably not agree with your colorful sentiment.

I bought a Ford ESP, because I figured that with all of the electronics in the car, if something does go wrong, the cost to repair won't be cheap. I also shopped online and got a much better price than the dealership offered.

Do shop around or else you'll be wasting money.

I agree for a customer that just buys a full price warranty from the dealer without question. However I bought mine on line and don't feel ripped off (didn't make use of all that I paid for it, but have no regrets), and my co-worker bought one on line for under $1,000 and has had over $3,000 of work done on his FFH for an eletrical/electronics issue that required the replacement of several components. I think he was pretty happy that he had one and would probably not agree with your colorful sentiment.

WHEN and IF you need the warranty, you'll wish that you had purchased it because and that point, it's pennies on the dollar.

Never, ever, ever extended warranties......ever! You would not believe what a profit center and cash cow extended warranties are for the dealership and the underwriter. I have worked in a Ford and Toyota dealership in a sales capacity. I have seen it all. I have done it all. I know where the cash comes from and where it goes. If you do your homework and research your vehicles, you will never, ever, ever need to pay for someone's vacation or Christmas bonus again, (by forking over thousands needlessly). Sure, it pays off. About as often as the lottery. The numbers are staggering. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't seen it first hand. Also, never, ever, ever, ever bring your vehicle in as a "trade-in". You might as well bend over, and bring extra lube!

Thanks for the comment.. but I do want the "comfort" of a warranty.. but as others have stated, I do plan on getting one online and saving quite a few dollars on it. As far as a trade in.. the dealership that I am currently dealing with is giving me more than most think it is worth, so gotta agree to disagree with you.

Do shop around or else you'll be wasting money.

WHEN and IF you need the warranty, you'll wish that you had purchased it because and that point, it's pennies on the dollar.

agree

If you really want an extended warranty, why not wait until the basic warranty is about due to expire?

Edited by hermans

If you really want an extended warranty, why not wait until the basic warranty is about due to expire?

Even though you can buy one as long as the original warranty hasn't expired, when I priced one online I found that it's $100 cheaper to buy it within the first year.

With all the glittery stuff across the left 2/3s of the dash I decided on the 7 yr full boat.

With all the glittery stuff across the left 2/3s of the dash I decided on the 7 yr full boat.

And I posted somewhere around here that when I bought my Prius I planned to get an extended warranty but from visiting the Prius forum regularly, I knew that they could be purchased online through other dealers and probably save from what the selling dealer offered. Knowing this, when I was going through the finance manager's pitch about how much of a 'deal' they were giving me, I said "no thanks" and the guy said that in his four years at the dealership I was the FIRST one who had ever declined. So then a couple months ago, I was accompanying a friend who was buying a new Focus, as she hates the car buying process and it doesn't bother me so I went along. So anyway when I mentioned to this other salesman a couple months ago that the past finance manager said I was the first ever to decline the extended warranty, he said "baloney, for us it runs about 70% takers."

And looking at the poll results at the top of this thread, it is currently 73% takers -- sure maybe it's not representative as it's just a quick poll here on the forum, but pretty close to the 70% rate that this salesman quoted.

Edited by jeff_h

I didn't get one on my 2013, and dont get one when I buy a new vehicle, instead wait until the warranty is about up and then decide if I keep the car or not, then if the car warrants a warranty I get one. I got one for my 2010 FFH, only because you never know what might break, and there are some pretty expensive items on the car, and we are keeping it for a long time.

Years ago when I got the Prius I got the warranty, and it was like $1900, then found that I could get it for $800, and called the dealer to cancel it, instead they offered to send me a check for the difference, and they did. When I sold the car, I called to cancel it with Toyota, so they sent me a check for the balance. It was more than what I paid for it. That was the ONLY car that I made money on!

Years ago when I got the Prius I got the warranty, and it was like $1900, then found that I could get it for $800, and called the dealer to cancel it, instead they offered to send me a check for the difference, and they did. When I sold the car, I called to cancel it with Toyota, so they sent me a check for the balance. It was more than what I paid for it. That was the ONLY car that I made money on!

Yep, the Toyota finance guy said that their normal price was $1,995 but right now they were running a SPECIAL and were offering it for $1,695. I said no thanks and bought it from a dealer referenced on the Prius forum for $785. So there's quite a dealer markup on those over the price they pay from the manufacturer, and not just Toyota but with any brand. I don't begrudge them making money on the transaction, but with such a markup I just prefer that it not be from me. So I'll get one but will wait a month or two, I have already searched online for the price I can pay there, am curious on the price that will be offered during delivery tomorrow and what kind of SPECIAL they might be having.

What should one expect to pay for a 2013 Fusion hybrid Premium Care extended warranty?

How many miles/years does it cover?

I too got the $800 camry Hybrid extended warranty from the information I got online. It was 100,000 miles or 7 years. Will run out this year.

Yep, the Toyota finance guy said that their normal price was $1,995 but right now they were running a SPECIAL and were offering it for $1,695. I said no thanks and bought it from a dealer referenced on the Prius forum for $785. So there's quite a dealer markup on those over the price they pay from the manufacturer, and not just Toyota but with any brand. I don't begrudge them making money on the transaction, but with such a markup I just prefer that it not be from me. So I'll get one but will wait a month or two, I have already searched online for the price I can pay there, am curious on the price that will be offered during delivery tomorrow and what kind of SPECIAL they might be having.

Let us know!

What should one expect to pay for a 2013 Fusion hybrid Premium Care extended warranty?

How many miles/years does it cover?

I too got the $800 camry Hybrid extended warranty from the information I got online. It was 100,000 miles or 7 years. Will run out this year.

My dealer offered to sell either a Ford extended warranty, or one called EasyCare which he said was bought by Ford, but who knows it may be a 3rd party warranty where the hassle with reimbursements comes in.

Anyway, I said no thanks I didn't want one at the time of sale (thankfully they offered it but were not pushy), but just in case I wanted to come back and purchase in the future could he give me quotes on 3-year and 4-year warranties, as I drive just over 40k per year so any longer terms than that don't suit me. He said the quotes were not the retail price, that the retail prices were a bit higher, which I think is a common statement to make a consumer want to get more of a deal when he or she can and thus plunk down the money or just roll it into the purchase of the car where some consider it most convenient.

Ford premium care warranty - 3yr/125k = $1,620 4yr/125k = $1,710 (I think it is $100 deductible)

Easycare - 3yr/100k = $1,276 4yr/100k = $1,338 ($100 deductible)

I've already checked the rates for a Ford warranty at Flood Ford in RI, where I bought two previously, 3yr/125k = $1,175 4yr/125k = $1,275, so if I choose to purchase one (the debate on the viability of one goes on in this thread and several others) I will go through them.

Edited by jeff_h

Thanks so much for this info.. I've already got my 5yr 48K warranty bookmarked on my computer... I will show the dealership the quote and see if they will match it.. if not... I'll go with the 'net ESP...

Update from the above -- I purchased the extended warranty from Flood ESP and instead of getting confirmation in snail mail, got an email back (10 days after ordering) with PDF files or the ESP contract, and also a copy of the invoice. Below is the text from the email:

Your ESP order is now complete. Attached you will find a copy of your contract, and invoice you may print for your records. There is nothing you need to sign or send back. Your order was electronically registered with Ford, and the VIN was recorded in the national ESP database. Any dealer you go to will automatically be able to find you in their ESP computer. There are no cards or papers you need to carry. Your credit card charge will show up as "Saccucci Honda". That is our sister dealership and billing location. Did you know we also can sell you Ford Factory Maintenance Plans? Not only are they below most dealer's prices, but you will not have to pay the high labor rates most dealerships now have. You can literally save yourself thousands. It even covers wear and tear items, such as brake pads, wiper blades, and spark plugs. Take a look at the brochure here. For pricing and ordering see our website.

I spoke to the dealer regarding an extended Ford Warranty. They told me they will sell any of the Ford warranties for $200 over their cost. I think that would be a good deal?

When I go into the dealer, I will most likely lease this car. I was wondering about the maintenance plan for the oil and such on this car and what the rate for that would be as well.

I hate changing my own oil an figured I'd check into it