104 members have voted

1. 1. Did you buy the extended warranty for your hybrid?

There's been some discussion about warranty pricing and buying right away or waiting until the 3/36 warranty is about to expire. So I did some research...

Anderson-Koch Ford (http://andersonandko...d-warranty.com/)

All prices are for PremiumCare 8/100 $0 deductible

Miles: 10,200; time owned: <12 months = $1755

Miles: 10,200; time owned: 12<months>36 = $1855

Miles: 35,000; time owned: 12<months>36 = $1855

Miles: 15,000; time owned: <12 months = $1855

The prices from Flood Ford were identical.

So the key is to buy before 12 months or 12,000 miles because at that point the price increases. In this case it would increase by $100. I didn't realize the increase would be so much. We'll cross 12,000 miles by June 1st. I guess we need to decide by then if we're going to buy an ESP now or forgo the decision until 36 months or 35,999 miles... The other risk with waiting is that the ESP price may increase...

The other interesting thing to note is that there is no distinction in warranty price for having a more expensive Fusion. We have some friends who bought a base Fusion SE and their extended warranty price would be the same as for our Fusion Energi. Our Fusion Energi MSRP was about double the price of their gas Fusion SE. Their car had an MSRP of $24,000 and our loaded Energi had an MSRP of $45,590. We only actually paid about $13,000 more than them, but it's still crazy that the ESP is the same price when you have such a wide range of feature content and powertrain complexity.

The reason for the price increase after the first year is likely because of interest, on $1755 they should easily be able to make $100 off interest, in the first year,from what you paid for the warranty. Between the bumper to bumper warranty and the car being new, they should not need to pay any money out during the first year on the extended warranty.

Edited by raadsel

I don't really know which dealerships offer that ESP option of the disappearing deductible. I got mine from Flood since there was no way my dealer could come close to matching their low prices. :)

If you bought from Flood but live in AZ how would you take advantage of that disappearing deductible? I thought Flood Ford was in New England...

If you bought from Flood but live in AZ how would you take advantage of that disappearing deductible? I thought Flood Ford was in New England...

Yeah, upon re-reading my post, I thought it might be unclear what I was trying to say. I do not have the disappearing deductible on the ESP plan I bought from Flood. As you mentioned, it would not do me any good with Flood being so far away.

I ended up buying the PremiumCare ESP with the $50 deductible. I wanted the highest deductible that I could visualize as a mere pittance, so I would have no stress about filing a claim if I need to. And I also didn't really want the disappearing deductible anyways which would cause me to feel tied to a specific dealer.

With the online ESP plan pricing being so low, it pretty much negates the advantage of the disappearing deductible too.

Does everyone pretty much agree that Ford Flood ESP is the best price out there? I'm getting close to my 36k mark and need to buy an extended plan.

Does everyone pretty much agree that Ford Flood ESP is the best price out there? I'm getting close to my 36k mark and need to buy an extended plan.

I have bought several from Flood and the process was easy - but do a price check from Anderson-Koch (see post #65 above) which others have also said was quick and easy, and see which is the better price.

A year ago I paid $2000 CAD (~$1500 USD at the time) for the PremiumCARE ESP from my dealer - negotiated a decent price plus $0 deductible if I used that dealer ($100 elsewhere). It extended my warranty to July 2019 or 100,000 km.

One year later I feel that it probably wasn't the best use of money. I've "saved" about $160 getting the TSB 13-5-24 (clicking noise in brakes) repaired, and any real mechanical/electrical issues would likely be covered by the powertrain or hybrid components warranties, which last longer than the bumper-to-bumper warranty. The ESP also doesn't cover rattles or the trim so I can't get my peeling carpet (passenger side) fixed for free.

On the other hand, the fact that I haven't needed to "make back" the cost of the warranty in repairs (just Google the words "Doug Demuro" and "Carmax" to see what I'm referring to) is a sign that the FFH is a pretty reliable car! Any problems that I encountered over the 2 years I've owned it have not hindered the car's driveability.

Edited by machoman1337

A year ago I paid $2000 CAD (~$1500 USD at the time) for the PremiumCARE ESP from my dealer - negotiated a decent price plus $0 deductible if I used that dealer ($100 elsewhere). It extended my warranty to July 2019 or 100,000 km.

One year later I feel that it probably wasn't the best use of money. I've "saved" about $160 getting the TSB 13-5-24 (clicking noise in brakes) repaired, and any real mechanical/electrical issues would likely be covered by the powertrain or hybrid components warranties, which last longer than the bumper-to-bumper warranty...

But you can never fully evaluate the savings of an extended warranty until after it has expired. There are still 3 years left on your extended warranty which could still be a smart investment if any major cost items break down during those next 3 years which aren't covered. There are still many items which could break down on an FFH which aren't covered by the powertrain and hybrid component coverage which could easily cost more than the $1500 you paid for your extended warranty.

I bought my car preowned from my local CarMax dealer knowing that it was still within the limited warranty and that I would purchase the PremiumCare ESP right before it expired.

I previously owned a 2007 MKZ that I kept up until Oct 2013 when I bought the Hybrid. My 2007 had the PremiumCare warranty on it that I paid ~$1400 IIRC. Literally one month after the limited warranty expired, the A/C quit working properly (kept going hot and cold in waves). Was at the dealer for over a week. A/C Compressor and Evap Temp Sensor replaced, both extremely long and involved jobs that would easily have totaled over $1000 just in labor alone. Not to mention a few other small visits for various other issues, including some pieces that would be considered "wear" items, they still took care of for me. They never once argued with me about something not being covered by ESP.

When I bought my '12 MKZ Hybrid, I figured I would do the same thing and get the extended warranty. However I learned that my car already had a CPO warranty attached to it! It expires October 2017 so I still have over a year of coverage from now. I *believe* I can still attach a PremiumCare warranty to it to cover it for another couple of years but i'll look into that later.

An Extended Warranty on a Used Car is a no brainer IMO. Its like insurance, you get it because you hope to never have to actually use it, but when you do have to use it you're glad had it. As long as you shop around for it and only get the manufacturers warranty (not any of those third party warranties).

An Extended Warranty on a Used Car is a no brainer IMO. Its like insurance, you get it because you hope to never have to actually use it, but when you do have to use it you're glad had it.

This is article is worth reading. Extended warranties might be worthwhile in some cases but they are far from a "no brainer":

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/04/extended-warranties-for-cars-are-an-expensive-game/index.htm

One year later I feel that it probably wasn't the best use of money. I've "saved" about $160 getting the TSB 13-5-24 (clicking noise in brakes) repaired, and any real mechanical/electrical issues would likely be covered by the powertrain or hybrid components warranties, which last longer than the bumper-to-bumper warranty. The ESP also doesn't cover rattles or the trim so I can't get my peeling carpet (passenger side) fixed for free.

On the other hand, the fact that I haven't needed to "make back" the cost of the warranty in repairs (just Google the words "Doug Demuro" and "Carmax" to see what I'm referring to) is a sign that the FFH is a pretty reliable car! Any problems that I encountered over the 2 years I've owned it have not hindered the car's driveability.

Uh oh, so the ESP's don't cover rattles? I've had rattles basically the entire time I've had this cars and they never seem to fix it. Awesome.

Someone posted this on another Ford forum about the extended warranty. It sounds like A LOT of stuff isn't covered!

Is this the same for the Ford Flood ESP PremiumCare? I assume it is.

Components Not Covered by Ford ESP PremiumCare Mechanical:
Service adjustments/cleaning; battery/cables, batteries of all types, belts, hoses, Brakes (front hub, drums, shoes, lining, disc rotors and pads); coolant; exhaust system (including catalytic converter); lights (bulbs, sealed beam and lenses); filters, fluids, lubricants, compressed natural gas/liquid propane fuel system components, manual clutch disc, shock absorbers, spark plugs/wires; squeaks and rattles, tires, tune-ups, wheel balancing, wheel alignment, wheel studs, wiper blades.
Exterior
Service adjustments (glass and body parts); bright metal, bumpers, door handles, glass, moldings, ornamentation, structural underbody framework, paint, rust, sheet metal; sideview mirrors (glass, housing); water leaks, weatherstrip, wheel wheel studs, covers/ornaments; wind noise, convertible top, fabric, liners, zippers and fastners.
Interior
Buttons, carpet, dash pad, door and window handles, knobs; rearview mirror (glass, housing); trim, upholstery.

Most of the items not covered under Premium Care ESP appear (to me) to be what I would call expected wear items. I EXPECT upholstery to get worn, squeaks/rattles, alignment, etc to happen as things age. But honestly look at the not covered list and tell me that the vast majority are not wear and tear items.

When I swap rim/tire sets for Winter and non-Winter usage I get a free alignment check (and alignment if needed) from Goodyear as part of their Road Hazard coverage.

Yep and when my inside door handle snapped off and broke due to a poor design,

I was told "normal wear item" not covered by ESP! That was a bunch of crap...

You pay your money and you take your chances, but with the complexity of

that car, I think the ESP - bought from one of the cheaper sellers - is probably

a good deal,

I couldn't find me commenting on this before although I voted "no". The only time I purchased an extended warranty was on our 1986 Taurus, which was the first year of production of a somewhat radically new design. We never had a claim. Looking back at all the years since we've never owned a car where an extended warranty would have saved money. Of course some will "win" and others "lose" but consider:

1. These ESPs would not be sold if they weren't profitable to Ford (or the third parties that offer them). This means that on average you won't get your money's worth.

2. Insurance should only be purchased if being "self insured" would be financially devastating if something did go wrong.

1. These ESPs would not be sold if they weren't profitable to Ford (or the third parties that offer them). This means that on average you won't get your money's worth.

2. Insurance should only be purchased if being "self insured" would be financially devastating if something did go wrong.

ESPs are extremely lucrative for car dealers. The sales pitch/pressure to buy an ESP was intense during my last two Ford car purchases.

ESPs are extremely lucrative for car dealers. The sales pitch/pressure to buy an ESP was intense during my last two Ford car purchases.

Which is why I wait until the B2B warranty is nearly done before I decide to buy or not. For me, flying without could be a hardship with the FFH if something major broke, so I got one. But I had to think hard on it, and it was about 35K miles before I pulled the trigger. And I did not get it from my dealer - I went Flood Ford.

Which is why I wait until the B2B warranty is nearly done before I decide to buy or not. For me, flying without could be a hardship with the FFH if something major broke, so I got one. But I had to think hard on it, and it was about 35K miles before I pulled the trigger. And I did not get it from my dealer - I went Flood Ford.

Did you have to pay more because your waited?

All of the rattles and squeaks etc are covered up until the 36k warranty ends, correct? If so I need to get my car over to the dealer and make sure they fix ALL of the rattles and squeaks and annoyances before I hit that (which will probably be in the next few months).

All of the rattles and squeaks etc are covered up until the 36k warranty ends, correct?

I had numerous squeaks/rattles fixed by my Ford service department for my 2012 Focus and it was all covered under the 36k warranty.

I purchased the Ford Premium Extended Warranty and traded my Fusion Hybrid about 4 months ago. Filed the refund paperwork with the local dealer and still have not received a refund.

Calls to the local dealer and emails go unanswered. In person visits result in a promise to get the refund expedited but followup call and emails go unanswered.

What recourse is there through Ford before I have to file a complaint with some 3 letter federal agency.

Thanks

I just shopped around for the FORD PROTECT PremiumCare Extended Warranty for my 2018 Ford Fusion Titanium 2WD Hybrid with 6,000 miles, because my warranty end 12/04/2020.

Zeigler Ford www.factoryplans.com emailed me the lowest quote for 8 years and 36,000 miles for $725.00. Their have a special until 09/30/2020. I hope this help wehen you shopp for an extended warranty.

My Ford Dealer in Sahuarita/Green Valley, AZ would me charge $4,070.00 for exactly the same Extended Plan.

I've used Flood Ford in the past for extended plans.  This car has no extended plan ATM and I'm not sure I want to one.

Flood Ford would $775.00 for exactly the same FORD PROTECT PremiumCare Extended Warranty Plan. That's $50.00 more.