I did this same thing when I bought my Prius, was told by the dealer that the "MSRP" was $1,995 but they would sell it to me on special for $1,695 -- that artificial markdown that makes people think they are getting a deal is apparently a powerful thing, my wife tends to get suckered in at stores all the time, but not me. I then found a dealer that was referenced in the Prius forum and bought the same extended warranty for $775, so you can see how much markup is involved.

Then I got the 2010 Fusion Hybrid, was told at my local dealer that the normal "MSRP" is $1,695 but right now they had a special going on and that I could get it for $1,495, so there's that artificial markdown again. I went to a Ford dealer that I found on one of the Ford forums (don't recall which) which was a dealer in Rhode Island (myfordwarranty dot-com) and bought the same warranty online for $800. And when I get the next vehicle that is one of the places that I will look as the in=person dealers I've dealt with seem to feel that since you're there in person it's harder to say no or easier to say just roll it into the total price -- but once again, not me.

Whether or not someone buys an extended warranty is up to them, there are a lot of threads on the forums discussing whether it's worth it or not and personally it's up to me if I can get it for a more reasonable price. So if you are one that wants one, do some shopping around online before you visit the dealer and get the best price you can -- I now do this with both the car AND the warranty. Good luck!

Edited by jeff_h

Actually the URL from my above post has changed, is now floodfordesp - dot -com

Edited by jeff_h

Found a few websites with good prices. So as long as it is "ford ESP" all dealerships will honor it regardless of where/how purchased?

Yes sir... just make sure that it's a Ford plan rather than a third-party, apparently those third-party ones can be a hassle.

I got one for my 2010 when it had 34K on the clock, looked online and best I could find was $2400 for a 100K warranty, got it for $1695 from my dealer instead. Probably could have got it for less had I shopped more, but it is a Ford ESP.

Keeping that car for a long time since it has been so good to us. Rare for me to keep a car that long, but when its reliable and I like driving it, it stays.

In Chitcago, 10.5% sales tax.

OK, dont know why it posted when I flipped to another screen to do something for work, but it did!

If it were taxed on the 1125, it would be a whole lot more that $55! I hate that city, hence the t.

Edited by acdii