GreatLakes

Cooling system stinks up car even in winter

Service appointment results from Friday: The mildew smell is gone! It has been replaced with an OVERWHELMING deodorizer smell that reminds me of industrial liquid floor wax, but do not even have a hint of mustiness at start-up. Better, I think?! Will try to condense the days events to avoid the TL;DR post....

My service advisor called to let me know they were done. He advised that they dropped everything down that Ford wanted inspected. He didn't smell anything while they were doing this. They checked the cabin air filter. It was clean, with no moisture found. He noted that they only sprayed into the vents previously, but this time they wiped them out and sprayed deodorizer in all areas. He advised it had a heavy smell of the deodorizer and would let it run for a while before I pick it up. They checked any place that water could be trapped, but found no sign. Not happy that the mold/mildew source was still a mystery I picked it up with the same apprehension as the last two times. I rode with the widows down and the A/C on full blast to try to get rid of the deodorizer smell. It is still very strong two days later.

So, I will now use the system regularly to see how it goes. I notice that I am no longer getting a stuffy head/nose in the car-----progress?!? But one thing about this recent service appointment bugs me. This time I signed two N/C invoices. One for the dealership and one for Ford. When I got home I noticed something different on this one with regard to a part number and an authorization code. As soon as I can figure out how to upload the invoice I will share. I googled the part number thinking it was for the deodorizer (to find out what the heck it was and how to possibly neutralize it) and was very perplexed. I'll save you all from my conspiracy theory, but just want to share information if it helps others resolve their problem.

So for now, I still get that uneasy feeling when turning on the A/C, but am hoping for the best. My dealership and the service folks were really wonderful to deal with and I wouldn't hesitate to go back there for any reason. I highly recommend them and will share the name via PM. I truly hope I don't have to see them again until my next oil change. Will check back in if anything changes.

GrySql -- I appreciate your taking the time to look over the invoice.

I too came up with the evaporator in my search and maybe wrongly *assumed* they replaced it. I just thought it was an odd sequence of events. Musk spores? I couldn't even begin to guess what they were either but hope they don't start to germinate or reproduce further in the cooling system!!!

No clue on what the smell coming out of the vents is but I hope it goes away soon. Today (since it was warmer) it seemed to have a hint of mustiness to it at start-up that went away within 10 seconds. Will keep the max a/c with recirc running to see if the moisture somehow returns.

Seeing that there are still others battling this problem, I hope one of us is successful in identifying the true cause. For other posters that have asked, my car has a noticeable amount of water draining below the passenger front side. Believe it was doing this before the latest service call but not 100% certain. Also, it appears that my car was built on 8 or 9 May 13.

Still hopeful that the problem is gone, but the warmer weather and humidity returns this week and only time will tell...

Different day, same smell.

I opened a case with Ford yesterday and was contacted by the Regional Customer Service Rep this morning. I made it clear that I am not dissatisified with my dealership and that I believe there is a larger problem, possibly a defect given the number of us reporting this issue. I expressed concern that the source of the water/mildew was not found and she is going back over my records to work with Ford Technical to see what can be done next.

As far as the next service call, they WILL NOT get my car until they provide me with an advance written troubleshooting plan and provide proof thereafter that they found the source, and repaired the problem. I'm one step away from starting down the lemon law path at this point and will reluctantly part with the ~$600 bucks for the air quality test.

With 86 degrees for a high temp today, that A/C ought to put out a significant amount of condensation. I will leave it running to confirm that it is in fact still draining and report my findings.