GreatLakes

Cooling system stinks up car even in winter

I have a 2010 SE with a smelly AC system.

Has anyone successfully used a product like Fridgi-Fresh or Lysol spray to disinfect the evaporator? How can I use these products in the winter?

Anyone have precise instructions specific to the Fusion?

:fan: :fan:

I have a 2013 FFH and I was just looking in the forum to resolve a problem I have with a foul smell coming from the vents. It only happens when you first start the car. My car only has 5,000 miles so it should not be smelling. Don't know what to do with that smell.

The '13 FFH has a Cabin Air Filter that, unfortunately, is not easily user serviced.

Next time you are at your Dealer have them look into the smell, maybe a Hermosillo cucaracha is stuck in there. :fear:

Cabin Air Filter part number = FP-71

I have gone twice to the dealer and they cannot duplicate the smell. Of course it doesn't happen when you need to get it to happen. I spoke to them about the cabin air filter I guess I will have to be more forceful next time.

I've used Fridgi-Fresh on a couple of BMWs and it stops the mold smell for a while.

I have gone twice to the dealer and they cannot duplicate the smell. Of course it doesn't happen when you need to get it to happen. I spoke to them about the cabin air filter I guess I will have to be more forceful next time.

Have you pinpointed the time of day, weather and Climate Control settings when this smell occurs? Does it happen with the Recirculating Cabin Air Mode engaged?

Do you have a practical joker for a friend? Have you removed your floor mats and inspected them?

Can you, or have you, ever identified what type of smell it is, electrical, oily, chemical, rotting vegetation, roasted cucaracha, etc?

If the Dealer cannot repeat the vents producing this odor, can you?

Intermittent problems are the devil to figure out but even so, if this smell is disgusting, it might be worth the expense to MAKE the Dealer inspect/replace the Cabin Air Filter.

It's a starting point.

I notice LadyDi is from Florida. Being that we here in the snowbird/tourist infested state of Florida tend to run our A/C for a good part of the year, it's possible to get mold growth on the evap coil. What I do with all my vehicles is, when I'm a 1/2 mile or so from my destination, I turn off the A/C, make sure recirc is off (get outside air into the car) and run the fan on high. This helps warm the coil and blow moisture off it. Sometimes I'll also turn up the temperature so the coil warms up faster. This way it dries quicker. No moisture on the coil, no mold growth. Our oldest vehicle's A/C, a 2000 Sunfire that our Fusion is replacing, has no mold smell. This technique works. As for mold that has already started, you really need to access the coil and clean it with a commercial A/C coil cleaner that is water based and no rinse. That will kill the mold.

The sequence to get the auto climate control to shutdown the A/C in the Fusion is easy enough. We picked up our Fusion yesterday, and had the procedure to shutdown the A/C figured out in just a few minutes.

Changing the cabin filter is easy enough. Only takes about 10 minutes. Do a search on You Tube. There are plenty of videos on it.

Edited by Sleddog

The cabin filter is easily accessible. It up behind the glove box. I know as I was driving and one day the panel fell down with the cabin filter in it. I just had to put it back up in place.

Changing the cabin filter is easy enough. Only takes about 10 minutes. Do a search on You Tube. There are plenty of videos on it.

Changing the 2013 Fusion is different than the previous models. I've even had the Dealer explain the procedure.

I've done a internet search and have not found one showing the 2013 Fusion, sure there are all the prior years, ever Filterhead's website doesn't have one for the 2013

If you could help us find the instructions that would be great.

The cabin filter is easily accessible. It up behind the glove box. I know as I was driving and one day the panel fell down with the cabin filter in it. I just had to put it back up in place.

On your '13? Can you provide a little more detail because I'd like to know how to access it.

According to my Dealer you have to remove a side panel, the glove box and then access a panel with the filter behind it.

It was explained to me that there is a couple more steps than on previous models.

I haven't tried any of them yet.

It's behind/under the glove box. It just fell down and yes this was on my FFH. All I did what hold it up in place and secure the two pins. Once I saw what and where it was it took all of 30 seconds to put it back in place.

Well I double checked and I did not see any you tube videos for changing it. But more than likely its the same setup. Give it a look and let us know. I would but my Fusion came with free maintenance for 36 months. Looks like the dealer will be doing at least my first filter change.

Well I double checked and I did not see any you tube videos for changing it. But more than likely its the same setup. Give it a look and let us know. I would but my Fusion came with free maintenance for 36 months. Looks like the dealer will be doing at least my first filter change.

Thanks for looking. :)

Your free maintenance deal sounds terrific, good one!

Edited by GrySql

It's behind/under the glove box. It just fell down and yes this was on my FFH. All I did what hold it up in place and secure the two pins. Once I saw what and where it was it took all of 30 seconds to put it back in place.

Yes, I see what you're describing, I just took that panel off.

It seems to be a cover panel to hide the fan/plumbing of the HVAC and has an shaped, padded paper anti-vibration pad stuck to it.

The actual 9"x11" FP-71 filter I have here is much bigger and according to the Ford Parts diagram slides into the top of the HVAC unit behind and above the glovebox.

Looks like that lower panel, the glovebox and the side kick panel need to be removed to access the large, slide-in FP-71 filter.

Anyway, I was thinking more of whether the OP would attempt trying this filter change, not you or I doing it.

Not everyone is mechanically adept and sometimes the Dealer 'do it' option is handy.

photocopy_zpsa083f97a.jpg

photocopy2_zps1938078a.jpg

was there any resolution to this smell? / mine is starting to have the same thing at Start up..... kind of a moldy smell when it first starts blowing..... Ive always used recirc. on my vehicles.....never developed this smell before..

This is all I could find in the Owners Manual. They, FORD, don't want you to change it.

This is on page 127 of MY owners manual.

For additional cabin air filter information,
or to replace the filter, see an authorized Ford Dealer.
Replace the filter at regular intervals<<< See page 428

Page 428

Factory-Trained Technicians
Service technicians participate in extensive
factory-sponsored certification training to
help them become experts on the
operation of your vehicle. Ask your
dealership about the training and
certification their technicians.

Owners Manual Link.

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Fusion

Edited by erichFla

I have started noticing the smell too. It's only at the start for a few seconds. I've never had this in any other vehicle.

We have talked about this in the ac forum. A few of us are having this problem as well. Seems like there must be a problem with the evaporation on the coils or the drainage of the ac. It's definitely a moldy smell. It goes away after a few seconds if you have the ac on, but if you try to run the fan only it smells constantly.

Edited by Riggo

ya...some drain must not be draining correctly or something.... doesnt really smell like a bad filter....

My Big question is, has Anybody found a way to change out the Cabin Air Filter on the 2013 FF without taking it to the dealership?

As a side note, this is what I put in my Toyota Tundra to make it smell good all the time. I've even had the Service manager ask what is that scent in your truck, we all around here like it. It Citrus scent from Home Depot. 90 Day size 14 OZ. plastic container of it. It will last longer than 90 days if kept in a shaded place. I hide mine under the back seat and it stays put back there too.

kZT1d6U.jpg

Edited by erichFla

After nearly four months, the car I love, I now HATE to get into.

Mine has just started to develop the HORRIBLE MUSTY smell for the first ~30 seconds of A/C use. It was slight at first (about a week ago) and I attributed it to the cooler weather/not getting much use. Every day I made a conscious effort to turn it on to see if it went away and now it is almost UNBEARABLE. I've tried the vents only---no change, w/the heat on at 85 degrees----consistent musty smell the entire time and w/ & w/o recirculated air. The musty smell will only go away after the A/C runs at a very cool temperature and then it returns after it sits for a bit, even after a quick trip into the store, but much worse if it sits overnight.

I have a service appointment for this Saturday and will also be asking for the 13B07 software upgrade. Will post any information that my dealer might share. Judging from the recent posts I wonder if it might become a larger concern for more FFH owners.

(Forgot to add that it does appear that the condensation is still coming out of the underside of the car....assuming that's what's dripping in the rear passenger side area.)

Edited by MD_Fusion_Lover

Yep, there are a number of us with this same issue. There has to be a bigger problem here that needs to be addressed by Ford.

I agree it's awful getting into my car and having to smell that. Mine smells like a wet dog when I turn the a/c on or run the fan.

It makes the entire expirence of a car I love into one that is awful.

I've had my car in the service department on two separate occassions, each time they said they fixed it and sprayed mold, mildew killing solution in it. But the day after I get the car back the smell is back.

Yup it's pretty bad. Since I have a specific system of getting onto the highway briefly before I even turn on the AC, I'm not noticing it as much now. I'm going to be embarrassed the next time I have someone else in my car and turn on the AC.

I was just thinking the same thing today. The stink is bad and seems to be getting worse. Has anybody had this issue looked at or gotten it resolved?

I wonder if it could be the air filter, only way to know is to remove it and see.