GreatLakes

Cooling system stinks up car even in winter

That buggers that all up then. Here's hoping mine doesn't have this.

Well, guess what? After my vehicle has been sitting at the Ford dealer for over a week waiting for the part to arrive to perform the TSB I get a call yesterday from them stating they received the replacement part but "it was damaged during shipping and we can't install, now the part is on backorder and we don't know when we'll receive another... come get your car".

Imagine what convenience that is for a Ford dealer that never wanted to do the work and now they have the perfect excuse not to. This has been such a horrible experience which has me looking at possibly trading in this car I did love for another brand.

Anybody in the Chicagoland area want to buy a used 2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium with only 11,000 miles PM me... Oh, by the way, don't turn on the AC or you'll vomit from the smell!

Well, guess what? After my vehicle has been sitting at the Ford dealer for over a week waiting for the part to arrive to perform the TSB I get a call yesterday from them stating they received the replacement part but "it was damaged during shipping and we can't install, now the part is on backorder and we don't know when we'll receive another... come get your car".

Imagine what convenience that is for a Ford dealer that never wanted to do the work and now they have the perfect excuse not to. This has been such a horrible experience which has me looking at possibly trading in this car I did love for another brand.

Anybody in the Chicagoland area want to buy a used 2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium with only 11,000 miles PM me... Oh, by the way, don't turn on the AC or you'll vomit from the smell!

Don't feel bad, I had two damaged HVAC parts, exact same story. Gkinla (we use the same Dealer) had his done prior to mine and the Dealer ordered two units for his job, just in case. They opened the first and it was okay and installed it.

When my replacement repair was finally okay'd they opened the second crate, it had broken parts. They ordered another and it arrived damaged, they ordered a 4th part and it was good and was put in my car.

My wait time for the backordered 4th part was about 2 months.

Hang in there...

Find a better dealer, problem isnt with the car or Ford at this point, its your dealer.

ESP Premium Care repairs only failed components on their list below.

It looks to me that this provision in TSB 14-0099 makes it a BtB Warranty item only.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage...

Really? So even with a Premium ESP Plan this TSB isn't covered? Oh fu**ing great. This has been happening for the past month and now that its sub zero temperatures I can't get the AC to turn on. So obviously the dealers are a**holes and will just say they can't reproduce it.

Warranty ends around spring in terms of milage and the smell is absolutely horrible and they make me pay for the repair?

THIS CAR ABSOLUTELY SUCKS SO BADLY I HAVE HAD SO MANY FREAKING ISSUES (over 8 different issues that needed almost 20 visits to the dealer) WITH NOW I KNOW WHY EVERYONE MAKES FUN OF ME FOR BUYING A FORD!

sadpanda.png

Edited by expresspotato

Warranty ends around spring in terms of milage and the smell is absolutely horrible and they make me pay for the repair?

"THE" smelly vents problem occurs whether the AC is functioning or not and should have shown up sooner, I think.

If you only notice it when it has been hot out for a while and you run the AC, it might be just the "normal" moldy drain pan type of problem.......which usually can be solved by other means.

The TSB includes parameters......mfd. dates or VIN ranges that are affected. You should visit the dealer and verify whether you are in the specified universe of affected vehicles or not. If not, you will need a cleaning and treatment next spring.

This has been happening for the past month and now that its sub zero temperatures I can't get the AC to turn on. So obviously the dealers are a**holes and will just say they can't reproduce it.

It sounds like your experience has not been the best and I sympathize with you.

If you are concerned about this A/C smell issue taking you past the BtB Warranty period you must take it to the Dealer now and log the complaint, thereby getting it into the system.

Send a PM to Rachel, our Ford Rep, maybe she can get a Canadian Ford Rep to help you with this.

TSB-0099 only applies to 2013-2014 Fusion and MKZ vehicles built on or before 2/24/2014.

Send a PM to Rachel, our Ford Rep, maybe she can get a Canadian Ford Rep to help you with this.

TSB-0099 only applies to 2013-2014 Fusion and MKZ vehicles built on or before 2/24/2014.

His car falls into that category, I believe his is an early 2013 as I think his car was one of those that were stuck in the Hermosillo matrix back in late 2012 (but not the one that had the CD of Mexican tunes left in the player).

"THE" smelly vents problem occurs whether the AC is functioning or not and should have shown up sooner, I think.

No it doesn't its only when the AC is activated and the ducts pass air over the AC pipes inside the climate control box. The TSB title has in it "When AC activated"

His car falls into that category, I believe his is an early 2013 as I think his car was one of those that were stuck in the Hermosillo matrix back in late 2012 (but not the one that had the CD of Mexican tunes left in the player).

Yes it was built in Jan of 2013 delivered Feb of 2013 so yes it is part of the TSB date range before the part is re-designed.

No it doesn't its only when the AC is activated and the ducts pass air over the AC pipes inside the climate control box. The TSB title has in it "When AC activated"

Oops. Sorry. Brain cramp.

I could swear that others have reported having the problem with vent only and the AC off.......which presumably would still route the air through the offending parts. Maybe I remember that wrong too.

Edited by Easy Rider

In ours the smell was pervasive throughout the vehicle, even the trunk. It was definitely worse with the air on, but there was a point where we just stopped driving it unless we had too. You could smell it about 15 feet away from the car with the door open. It took a long time since the repair work for the smell to dissapate too. No more vomit smell, but no new car smell (or leather) either anymore.

THIS CAR ABSOLUTELY SUCKS SO BADLY I HAVE HAD SO MANY FREAKING ISSUES (over 8 different issues that needed almost 20 visits to the dealer) WITH NOW I KNOW WHY EVERYONE MAKES FUN OF ME FOR BUYING A FORD!

Between this and the issue with my 2014 F150 I've convinced at least three people not to buy Fords. They refuse to make things right with either vehicle. I am a Ford guy. I have a 68 Mustang in the garage. These are the last Fords for our family.

It sounds like your experience has not been the best and I sympathize with you.

If you are concerned about this A/C smell issue taking you past the BtB Warranty period you must take it to the Dealer now and log the complaint, thereby getting it into the system.

Thanks for recommending me, GrySql; I've looped in my colleagues at FordServiceCA, who will be reaching out.

In ours the smell was pervasive throughout the vehicle, even the trunk. It was definitely worse with the air on, but there was a point where we just stopped driving it unless we had too. You could smell it about 15 feet away from the car with the door open. It took a long time since the repair work for the smell to dissapate too. No more vomit smell, but no new car smell (or leather) either anymore.

Between this and the issue with my 2014 F150 I've convinced at least three people not to buy Fords. They refuse to make things right with either vehicle. I am a Ford guy. I have a 68 Mustang in the garage. These are the last Fords for our family.

I'm sad to see this is a deal breaker, BK Fusion. I'd like to see how I can help keep you part of the Ford Family. What concerns are you experiencing with your F-150 and Fusion Hybrid? Please send me a PM with the VINs, current mileage, symptoms, servicing dealer, your full name, and contact information.

Rachel

Yes it was built in Jan of 2013 delivered Feb of 2013 so yes it is part of the TSB date range before the part is re-designed.

Hey expresspotato,

I received your PM and will be responding to it shortly.

Nikki

Ford Service CA

I find it a tad funny that when me and a few others first started reporting this horrible smell, some said we were just overreacting and all cars get a moldy smell. They told us to make sure we ran with the a/c off and the fan blowing a few miles before we got home. I feel somewhat vindicated. That, and the fact i won an arbitration with Ford over this issue :-).

Edited by Riggo

Just shy of one year of ownership I decided to take my HyTi in to get the musty AC smell TSB done and its first oil change (9800 miles). It was my first service visit since new. During the summer I drove the car with the AC off to the dealer and had my service manager sit in it while we turned on the AC for the first time that day. Musty smell verified. So when I brought in the vehicle for an oil change there was no diagnosis, they simply ordered the TSB part. A week later the part came in and I dropped off the car Monday afternoon. They provided a loaner, a '14 Focus at my request (I put just shy of 500 highway miles on that car that week, over 39MPG, wow, nice). The call came in, my car was ready late on Friday and I picked it up Saturday morning.

During that week they also replaced the driver's side seat back leather as it's piping had abnormally worn (the dye wore away). They did a great job. They also ordered a Heated Steering Wheel Module as my heated steering wheel quit. They replaced the module and it is working again.

When I picked up the car there was a panel on the dash that needed a nudge to click in, as well as a seat rail cover, no big deal, push, snap, snap, and I left the dealership. Everything seemed fine on the way home. Only issue were the wipers that nudged each time I started the car. Took it back on Monday and they fixed it immediately while I waited. As far as I can tell, all is good now, everything works, all vents, etc, and no rattles. No smell, but time will tell, I'll know for sure in a few months.

I was very happy with how I was treated by the dealership and service advisor (Five Star Ford, Plano, TX), and by Ford since instead of throwing deodorizer at the issue until the warranty expires they came up with a fix.

Interestingly enough this is the second time we had an evaporator replaced by this dealer. Our 2009 Focus, 10 days out of the 36 month warranty, had its evaporator fail. I scoured the internet and couldn't find any hint that this was a endemic issue, we were just unlucky. The dealership worked with Ford as well as kicked in some dealership funds and fixed the car for a very reasonable out of pocket cost to us. They put everything back together properly which impressed me enough to buy another Ford from them, my Fusion. We still have the Focus and its only other repair was a new washer pump, $35. Yeah, pretty darn happy with the car (@ ~55K miles now).

I still love my car. If it remains a good vehicle then our next car will be a Ford.

Edited by scn101

Sounds like you got a good dealer like mine. It really isn't the vehicles, it's the dealers that sell and maintain them that get customers coming back. Too bad not all dealers recognize this little fact.

While it's kind of off the subject..........

I just had the evaporator changed out on my home heat pump (less than a year old) because they couldn't find any other way to get rid of the "dirty sock" smell.

The old one was all aluminum; the replacement was mostly copper.

I was very happy with how I was treated by the dealership and service advisor (Five Star Ford, Plano, TX), and by Ford since instead of throwing deodorizer at the issue until the warranty expires they came up with a fix.

There are plenty of posts about bad dealership experiences on this forum. It is encouraging to hear about good dealership experiences. You should let them know. Too often service departments (across all businesses and industries) only hear from the customer when they are upset or angry.

I've had two Fusions: an SE with 2.0 engine (purchased June of 2014, totaled in accident at 14K miles) and now a Titanium (built before my "first" SE, acquired with 11K miles 1.5 days ago0). Titanium has the issue (thought it was just cleaner), my newer SE ride (RIP) did not have the issue and I drove it for 12K miles. I've sent the TSB to my local dealer to see if I need to return this ride within the 3 days.

My wife fabrezed it, didn't help. My kids got in this morning and said "This car stinks."

Scott

I've had two Fusions: an SE with 2.0 engine (purchased June of 2014, totaled in accident at 14K miles) and now a Titanium (built before my "first" SE, acquired with 11K miles 1.5 days ago0). Titanium has the issue (thought it was just cleaner), my newer SE ride (RIP) did not have the issue and I drove it for 12K miles. I've sent the TSB to my local dealer to see if I need to return this ride within the 3 days.

My wife fabrezed it, didn't help. My kids got in this morning and said "This car stinks."

Scott

Hi swaghost,

I want to see how I can help things smell sweeter around here. What year is your Fusion?

Meagan