Sign in to follow this  
2010 Sport Blue SEL

Rear Seat Headrest Removal

Can the rear seat headrests be removed? I tried pulling them with and without the button pushed in and they only raise one click. I also tried by pulling out on the button. I would like to remove the center for better visibility out the back and temporarily remove the sides to load a flat screen TV in the box between the rear seat fronts and the back of the front seats with the rear seats down. I'm trying to increase the space for hauling stuff from Mpls to AZ.

If it matters, I have leather seats.

Edited by 2010 Sport Blue SEL

From pg. 117 of the OG:

To remove the adjustable head restraint, do the following:

1. Pull up the head restraint until it

reaches the highest adjustment

position.

2. Insert and push a tool, such as a

large paper clip, into the pin hole

located on the side of the guide

sleeve and press the adjust/release

button, then pull the head restraint

upward.

3. Store the head restraint in a

secure location, such as the trunk of

the vehicle.

From pg. 117 of the OG:

Thanks drolds1 that worked. It wasn't as easy as it looks, (at least not for me) it had to be off the stop point and I had to push in the button and at the same time push in the paperclip and lift up. I looked in the index of the OM and saw nothing on head rests/head restraints, I didn't take the time to page through the book to the Seating and Safety Restraints section. Cheers.

Thanks drolds1 that worked. It wasn't as easy as it looks, (at least not for me) it had to be off the stop point and I had to push in the button and at the same time push in the paperclip and lift up. I looked in the index of the OM and saw nothing on head rests/head restraints, I didn't take the time to page through the book to the Seating and Safety Restraints section. Cheers.

You're welcome. The index in the the Ford OMs is infuriating. I just happened to remember it b/c the process is so much more complicated than it was in my previous Lincoln LSes and I'd had to look it up. I don't know why they had to make this so complicated. In the LS you just had to hold the adjustment button down and pull the head restraint up and out. It took 2 seconds and and it was much easier to clean the inside of rear window or fold down the rear seat when they could be easily removed on the fly.