I have a Ford Fusion 2010 SEL and I don't understand the back lighting to the gauges. The back lighting on the gauges will stay on for about 15-20 minutes then shut off and usually around the same place when I am driving home from work. Is this the normal behavior of the back lighting?

Maybe your gas cap is loose! Reference: Auto-headlight problem

Wait, the 2010 doesn't have a fuel cap so that can't be it. ;-)

ANyways, no, that's not normal. How could it be? You should still be under warranty unless you put a bunch of miles on it. Let the dealer have a look.

Maybe your gas cap is loose! Reference: Auto-headlight problem

Wait, the 2010 doesn't have a fuel cap so that can't be it. ;-)

ANyways, no, that's not normal. How could it be? You should still be under warranty unless you put a bunch of miles on it. Let the dealer have a look.

Its definitely still under warranty. Its just odd and it happens almost at the exact same time which leads me to believe its doing something automatically.

Its definitely still under warranty. Its just odd and it happens almost at the exact same time which leads me to believe its doing something automatically.

Could it be because I have my lights set on auto-lamps?

Could it be because I have my lights set on auto-lamps?

I think the gauges have their own auto-on mechanism independent of the automatic headlamps. Is this happening at dusk or dawn? Maybe it's just responding to the ambient light and that happens to coincide with your location if you're always leaving at the same time.

I think the gauges have their own auto-on mechanism independent of the automatic headlamps. Is this happening at dusk or dawn? Maybe it's just responding to the ambient light and that happens to coincide with your location if you're always leaving at the same time.

Ive been leaving at 6:30 this week so its dark when I leave and I dont notice this then. When I drive home its about 4:15-4:25 so its mostly still light. I just find it odd that its been the same time all week. And now after reading the manual its almost like the lights are still on but the dimmer gets reset to the lowest setting.

I could be wrong here but I may have seen something similar with mine. I noticed the gauge lights dim.

I think they were initially bright because it was still light outside (needed to be brighter to show up in the light maybe) but then they went dim as if it were night and they dimmed so they didn't blind me.

Anyway, I'll try to watch for this again.

In bright daylight the gauge illumination is turned way up. When it is dark outside, or any time the head lights are turned on, the gages will dim. At least that's how my '10 SEL operates, with or without the auto-headlamps activated.