Zack

Oil change intervals - endless topic

You should check your oil level periodically. The car must be level and have not run for at least 1/2 hour. My 2010 has 53,000 miles and I have never added oil between 10,000 mile changes. I have been hard pressed to see ANY oil use in those periods.

You should check your oil level periodically. The car must be level and have not run for at least 1/2 hour. My 2010 has 53,000 miles and I have never added oil between 10,000 mile changes. I have been hard pressed to see ANY oil use in those periods.

Right! My 2010 FFH that I traded for a CMax never was low after 10000 miles. I had a bit over 55000 miles on it. My CMax now has 7700+ miles on it and checks right where it did when I checked it when new. However, I am going to run Mobil 1 in it as I have in my other cars for the past 25 years.

I doubt it, even the cheap motorcraft 5w20 is semi synthetic. Its what is called for by Ford, so dealers do need to supply at the minimum a semi syn 5W20.

As long as you follow the Ford recommended change intervals and have documented history of the oil changes being performed, you are covered if something were to go wrong under warranty. However, after warranty...... BUT, the majority of oils out there, including the low cost wallyworld brand, are all good oils. Oil tech has changed so much over the past couple decades that just about any rated brand will protect your engine. Note RATED brand. It Must have that seal on the container, if not, dont use it.

Be very careful with these dealer inspections. They could be a ripoff. Some have been told hybrids need a lot more maintenance when in fact they need almost none. You can make most of the inspections yourself. When you rotate the tires, have the worker check the wheel end play. There should be zero maintenance required for a long time. Ford Quicklane had $30 -40 oil and filter changes and tire rotation. They overfilled the oil once and wouldn't rotate the tires because there was a plug in one. They wanted $250 for a new tire so now I have my local mechanic do everything. I just changed the cabin air filter in my 2010 at 50,000 miles for the $10 cost of a new filter. I had vacuumed it clean at 30,000 miles and probably could have done it again. The are no belts ( except water pump in gen 1 ), alternators, clutches, torque converters, transmission fluid, etc., to require service. The brakes shouldn't need service to well over 100,000 miles. Just look at the fluid levels in the reservoirs and do the oil and tires.

Edited by lolder

Whenever I do my own oil change I use a permanent marker and write the date and miles on the filter before I install it. This way if something does go wrong, Ford can't say jack because the proof is in writing on the car itself.

Of the 4 Hybrids I owned, only oil changes and filters were needed. The brakes last a long time, and I never kept them long enough to change the coolant in them. Eventually, after 100K miles or so, it will need brakes, rotors, struts, maybe ball joints, tie rods, bushings, etc. All depends on how poorly the roads are where the car is driven. After 60K thats the time when you start to inspect all these items for wear. Before that, usually not needed. Also unless you hit something, or you see abnormal tire wear, alignments are needed either. It used to be that you needed to realign the car every 30K or so as things loosened up, but there are so few components in the steering system now that the only time an alignment is needed is when a part is replaced. With the front struts, the only part that can get knocked out is the connection between the spindle and the lower strut, but those things are so tight that you would have to hit a really big pot hole really hard to knock it out and something that hard would probably break a wheel.

Other than coolant, brake fluid, oil, battery and filters, there really isn't much else on the Hybrid that needs replacement.

Me too. Maybe not 40K on one car, but combined between the two we hit 40K. Heck in 8 months I put 12K on an F150, and it wasnt driven every day. Between it and the Fusion totaled 42K during that time.