Zack

Oil change intervals - endless topic

ICE is ICE when it comes to oil, the variables though are on/off cycles, and temps. An Otto cycle runs up to a set temp and stays there, where the Atkinson cycles frequently and never really stays at one given temp. It is possible they have a category based on its cycle, Otto vs Atkinson.

Well, I send them a question so, wait for an answer. I really dont think it will make much difference. In fact, unless there is fuel or particulate matter in excess of standard testing, the oil "should" actually last longer mile for mile. Heat is what causes oil to break down, so the cooler running cycles of the Hybrid should also provide an added benefit. So unless the stop/start cycle is causing fuel to leak into the oil, dont think there is much else to worry about.

Their response is the tests are the same based on the fuel type, not engine type. They dont really care on what the engine does, but on what is in the oil, and that is whats most important. The packages, particulates, and contaminants are what they test for. Based on the levels of each, they can determine engine wear, and life of oil. If they read higher than baseline readings of iron and aluminum, then something is wrong with the engine, abnormal wear. If they read higher than normal readings of silicon, there may be a leak, or a recent repair using silicone gasket was made. If they see some packages are lower than baseline they would recommend a shorter change interval and after 3-4 samples taken, you have a good understanding of just how far you can go between oil changes, and that is the key to getting the samples tested.

Yes, its used for determining your wear and change intervals. If you want a full blown analysis, it would cost a whole lot more than the $20 or so they charge. Like I mentioned before, you only need to have a few samples done in a row to determine your change interval and engine wear, then depending on how often you change oil every year or so have one done.

One thing I learned, changing the oil sooner means it comes out cleaner and is easier on my filters for when I pump that used oil into my recycler. I then mix it with diesel and run it in my tractor. I can turn 5 gallons of diesel into 15 gallons of fuel. :) Great way to get rid of WMO.