mydodgers88

FFH engine noise

OK, I have 20k miles on my 2010 and it has started making a new noise. When you are just cruising at around 40 mph and the motor switches over to gas, if you are just feathering the throttle you can hear a whistling sound. Took it into the dealer and surprise-the mechanic heard the same sound! They said they had never heard that before but it definitely was not normal so they would need to keep it a couple of days to diagnose the problem. Three days later they changed their mind and said that it is normal. They also said they test drove a new one on the lot and were able to duplicate the noise. Anyone else have this issue? Any information would be helpful. TIA, Mike

They've acoustically tuned the intake tubing to have the least Atkinson cycle noise somewhere between 40-70 mph. That's what those strange plastic shapes are connected to the plastic intake tubes.

I'm not sure Ford does that otherwise the ICE would have higher rated horsepower.

To my knowledge Ford does not shift their hybrids back to the Otto cycle otherwise the rated HP would be higher. Some other hybrids may.