Sign in to follow this  
MikeS

Cheap securilock SPARE key? (no lock/unlock buttons needed)

This ebay listing is for a plain PATS key that the seller guarantees will work. It's only $21. The listing goes up to 2010 but there's no difference for 2011. The seller is top-rated.

Just have it cut anywhere they do this and you can easily program it yourself.

That aside, I never heard of having to leave an extra key with the garage. What safeguards do they take to ensure that the keys don't get into the wrong hands? What do people with cars that have push button start do? I certainly wouldn't be buying an extra $200-300 smart fob just so my garage can have an extra"key" for some far-fetched emergency.

My daughter lived in in a couple of apartment buildings with underground garages and never had to give them a key.

Edited by drolds1

The keys are locked up in the management office. There's a special sign-out procedure if the keys need to be accessed.

And thanks for the link. If I can get an extra key for under $40, that would be great. Spending $100 for a car I'll have for 2 years does bother me.

Problem: I'm on the condo board so I can't have the appearance of any special exceptions for me. Ironic: it's a volunteer job which takes enormous time, and I have to be squeaky clean.

Mike

I'd still be uneasy about that key arrangement.

I do volunteer work also. That's where you lean the meaning of the expression, "no good deed goes unpunished." ;)