I think they changed Mid MY, my mom's early 10 is bright as hell, and has to be dimmed. My june 10 build 2010 doesn't get nearly as bright at night with the dimmer all the way up. I think they realized it was way too bright at night and changed that. I know there are several things just that I know of they changed during the 10 MY.

My numbers are white outlined in black, on the blue background. You say you've got blue numbers? Could you post a pic? Maybe someone forgot to peel some blue protective tape off it before assembly!

Just realized, the kilometers are in tiny blue numbers in the inner arc and impossible to focus on unless you don't want to watch where you're driving. Is that what you're talking about?

The service manager at my dealer has a tech request in to Ford to see if there is a way to fix this. Good car but if they can fix this problem I may trade it in with only 2000 miles on it. I'll post whatever I find out.

Wow, you would trade in a car with only 2000 miles, take a hard hit on depreciation just because the of the dash lights? Why didn't you notice this on the test drive? Unless it's a defect from the factory and covered under warranty, I'd learn to live with it for a couple of years then trade it in. I have an early build Fusion (4-09) and mine are fine night and day.

On the hybrid (2010 for sure) the speedometer 'needle' (all the gauges are computer graphics) ((the idiot lights are fixed bulb, just like always)) anyway the speedo is BRIGHT red on a (i'll look next time) blueish background, just right in daylight thank goodness it dims when the headlights are switched on or it would be over the top (I'd live with it for a couple years thou)

Unless Ford made a mid year change I'd say there is a problem with your lights. My 2010 I purchased last October has super bright dash lights. I have to dim them at night they are so bright. While not nearly as bright during the day I certainly don't have any problem seeing them. Could possibly be a bad rheostat "the dashboard rocker switch." It might not be allowing the lights to reach full illumination. Just a thought, what position is your headlight switch in? If it is in auto mode and for some reason the photo eye is telling the headlights to illuminate, the dash lights would automatically dim for night conditions. Try turning the headlight switch to the off position and see if the dash lights get brighter. Its easy to sit here and speculate but difficult to diagnose without actually seeing the car. Good luck with a resolution.

Edited by fastfords4me

You may want to compare to another car on the dealer lot and see if your lights are OK. I can't imagine them being hard to read with the headlight switch off unless there is something wrong with them, or someone's eyes. Are you sure you don't have auto-headlights, which are coming on in an overcast and your lights are actually on and dimmed for night-time?

Anyways, while I do like the dash, I don't like that if the dash lights should go out, you're screwed. But I live life on the edge like that! :rockon: :P

Verified - I can adjust the brightness of the display using the dimmer switch when the lamps are off. It's a separate setting from the one that is saved when the lamps are on.

But it's still not bright enough - wearing sunglasses, I can only readily see the needle and the tickmarks. Seeing the numbers in some lighting situations requires me to focus on the gauge for more than a second - at 65, that is too long.

I've never had problems on my car. Maybe the Hybrid lights are different.

I went to Edmunds and looked at the interior pics and now I see how different the Milan gauges are from the Fusion. Not any really close pics, but from what I can see, blue on blue... So I guess that's why the Fusion owners here don't understand. If you can't see the numbers on the Fusion gauges, you shouldn't be driving, but without seeing the Milan gauges in person... ? And I suppose the Milan doesn't have much of an aftermarket base to get a replacement?