First post.

Don't jump all over me - I've owned the car for a day and I like it very much, but I can't stand the blue gauges on the regular non-hybrid fusion. It's OK during the day, but way over the top at night.

A quick search of Google reveals no "gauge faces" for the 2010 yet. Something tells me it may not be a practical solution on these cars, given the way the hashmarks seem to be "molded-in" etc. And of course, if "gauge faces" were available on the aftermarket, they'd likely be even more outrageous.

Anyhow, anyone come up with a solution yet? Or am I the only one with a problem? I'm starting to think about researching an appropriate paint to use to simply cover the entirety of the blue regions.

Should have test driven one, I guess, though I probably would have bought the car anyway (and I do like it) but was basing my purchase decision in part on my experience with my mother's '06 with blessedly plain, black gauges.

Thanks!

Why are they way over the top at night? What is the problem you're seeking a solution for? I don't have a problem with them.

Edited by xmech2k

First post.

It's OK during the day, but way over the top at night.

Have you tried the dimmer switch?

When I give people rides etc, they seem to like them. Had a few comments.

Anyway as mentioned you might want to try the dimmer (same switch that controls interior lights.) Yes they can be pretty bright at night if you leave them cranked up.

I like the gauges too. Friends who ride in my car comment on how good they look. I think the dash and center stack look good at night, subtle and easy to read. It took a little getting used to which buttons were where, but after 1+ years it's all good.

Hmm, I guess you guys may be right, with the dimmer switch. He didn't say what he didn't like about them at night. I always dim my dash lights to 'match' the lighting conditions at night. So it's not like you're looking into a flashlight then trying to readjust to the dark every time you look at it.

Why are they way over the top at night? What is the problem you're seeking a solution for? I don't have a problem with them.

My problem is they're bright, and rather distracting. Also not very easy to read. Last night, another thing I noticed was that the high-beam indicator gets lost in that sea of bright gas-flame blue - I know I'm going to end up blinding some oncoming drivers from time-to-time.

Put another way, when my 15-year-old son saw them yesterday, he said "wow! Cool gauges!" I will admit then when I first saw them, I though they looked pretty groovy.

But after about 10 minutes, I realised they were going to be a bit much. I really wish they were just plain and black - the dimmer switch works, of course, but takes the rest of the controls in the car down along with the instrument lamps - and the blue gauges are always there. Sort of like looking at the hind end of an Imperial Star Destroyer in full eclipse. Not good.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone had tried to fix this. Maybe I'll be the first! If so, I'll share whatever I come up with.

Hmm, I guess you guys may be right, with the dimmer switch. He didn't say what he didn't like about them at night. I always dim my dash lights to 'match' the lighting conditions at night. So it's not like you're looking into a flashlight then trying to readjust to the dark every time you look at it.

Exactly - it's like looking into a flashlight. Or maybe three bright blue flashlights.

There's a reason they put red lamps in submarines.

Well, like the saying goes, you can't please all the people...

Very true, too.

But they'd perhaps have a better shot at pleasing a greater number of the people if they took a more conventional approach to instrumentation. I don't think a case can be made that putting bright blue lights in the gauges makes them any better.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to quantify market acceptance or affinity for bright blue gauges - just wondering if anyone had taken steps to fix them. Sounds like the answer is "no."

Thanks!

But they'd perhaps have a better shot at pleasing a greater number of the people if they took a more conventional approach to instrumentation. I don't think a case can be made that putting bright blue lights in the gauges makes them any better.

I've owned several cars - used 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook, used 1963 VW Bug, new 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, new 1991 Nissan Maxima, new 1998 Ford Ranger, new 2008 Ford Edge, new 2010 Ford Fusion. If a conventional approach to instrumentation would have been followed since the invention of the car, I would be driving a 2010 Ford Fusion with the instrumentation from who knows when.

The Nissan Maxima instrumentation was completely different from any other car I owned previously - very unconventional - from day to night, instrumentation reversed - black on white during the day to white on black at night. It was cool!

I get that you don't like your Fusion instrumentation. However, I'm confident that Ford's market research was thorough, and the result was the car you purchased.

Very true, too.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to quantify market acceptance or affinity for bright blue gauges - just wondering if anyone had taken steps to fix them. Sounds like the answer is "no."

Thanks!

:banghead: OK, didn't you notice the gauges when you test drove the car??? Because I ordered mine before the 2010's were out, I test drove an 09 Fusion and those white background gauges are boring, too conventional, too every car. The Fusion was redesigned for 2010 and I'm very pleased with the redesigned gauge color and I would bet most 2010 Fusion owners are too. If the gauges were the difference between choosing a Fusion or something else they would not have purchased the car and it seems to me to be a pretty insignificant issue.

...just wondering if anyone had taken steps to fix them. Why, they're not broken.

Edited by 2010 Sport Blue SEL

...just wondering if anyone had taken steps to fix them. Why, they're not broken.

You read my mind. I like them because they are different.

Well you could wear your sunglasses at night...

But seriously with the dimmer I can make the gauges so dim that it's hard to read the speed or fuel level. They do brighten up a bit when the headlights come on though. But if you've tried every level of the dimmer I guess you are stuck

I usually set the cupholder mood lights to red though, because the other colors seem a bit bright sometimes.

They do brighten up a bit when the headlights come on though.

Brighten or Dim? Mine dim to about half lit when the lights kick on. Does it every morning when I put the reflective visor in the window and it blocks the sensor forcing the lights to come on. My '09 did the same thing just not as big a difference.

Honestly I didn't like them at first when I was driving a rental but after cleaning the stuff out my totaled '09 I much prefer the new gauges. I really like how I can set the ambient lighting to either blue setting and it matches well with the dash, radio, door locks, etc lighting.

Edited by Sithil

First post.

Don't jump all over me - I've owned the car for a day and I like it very much, but I can't stand the blue gauges on the regular non-hybrid fusion. It's OK during the day, but way over the top at night.

A quick search of Google reveals no "gauge faces" for the 2010 yet. Something tells me it may not be a practical solution on these cars, given the way the hashmarks seem to be "molded-in" etc. And of course, if "gauge faces" were available on the aftermarket, they'd likely be even more outrageous.

Anyhow, anyone come up with a solution yet? Or am I the only one with a problem? I'm starting to think about researching an appropriate paint to use to simply cover the entirety of the blue regions.

Should have test driven one, I guess, though I probably would have bought the car anyway (and I do like it) but was basing my purchase decision in part on my experience with my mother's '06 with blessedly plain, black gauges.

Thanks!

I've seen/heard the same complaint from Hyundai Santa Fe owners about blue interior instrumentation lights. They are also quite bright and basically the only choice is to dim the interior lights. I have an 07 Santa Fe Limited and that is what I did, dimmed them to a reasonable, for me, level/setting. These type of inconveniences are relative to a persons vision and likes/dislikes.

My 08 Milan has very low green instrumentation lights that is ok/tolerable to me but I'm sure someone else has found unacceptable.

First post.

Thanks!

Yes, the dimmer is all you have to play with. I personally love the blue. And I would think if you took a ride in any Volkswagon with the hideous angry red alternative, you'd come around to the blue too. In Feng Shui, blue is peaceful, soothing, and linked with contemplation, patience, and stability - all really good anti-road rage things for the driver. Cut the blue some slack. I'm just sayin'.

I had a 1984 Corvette. Talk about instrumentation change. Green, Yellow, and Red bar graphs with digital readout to boot! It was cool in '84 though. post-5513-017308900 1283147480_thumb.jpg

Last I checked changing the gauge faces doesn't change the color of the backlighting that is in the car, 2 totally different things

Edited by shawn_carter69

I really like my 2010 and think the blue lights instrument lights are great at night or if the weather is overcast but in bright sunlight I can't see them. I've tinted the windows to the legal limit but that didn't help much. I've confirmed that it's not just me by having others check, some can see them fine and others have the same problem I do. What I wondering is if there is a way that intensity can be adjusted by the service department using the computer settings. The service department I checked with didn't know of any way but didn't offer to check with Ford.

Mine are plenty bright for daytime, only too dim when I use the headlights during the day and have sunglasses on. If there's something wrong with yours, time for them to fix it. Should still be under warranty.