Sign in to follow this  
isritter

Best Brake Pads to buy?

Interested in everyone's opinion on the best type of brake pads to install (Semi, Non, Ceramic, etc...) as well as which brand is best. '06 Fusion V6

Interested in everyone's opinion on the best type of brake pads to install (Semi, Non, Ceramic, etc...) as well as which brand is best. '06 Fusion V6

I'll probably be using EBC greenstuff 2000 or ultimax.

So, the question of the day is do you buy ceramic, metallic or organic pads?

I've always heard and thought ceramic pads were best. I've heard from several mechanics that they're more expensive and more effective, especially if you live in a mountainous area or somewhere you brake often and might generate heat. My on-line research seems to indicate the same thing but I'm not claiming to be an expert, just passing along what I've heard. Non-ceramics are older technology, mixed are more difficult on rotors, and ceramic is best.

I'd go with a good brand. Most of the brands sold at Advance or Auto Zone are cheap pads from overseas. I would invest in either Motorcraft from the dealer, Raybestos (I've heard Raybestos makes the OEM equipment for Motorcraft and AC Delco but cannot confirm it's true), or even a premium NAPA brand which I've heard is good. I just prefer to have good quality brakes. But then again, some people prefer the cheap brands such as Wearever. They're probably less expensive overall and stop the car fine, they just need to be changed a little more often and generate more dust.

Edited by UniversalD

I haven't had to change the pads on the Fusion yet, but on my 04 cobra have tried several setups:

I've tried PowerStop (evolution performance) ceramic pads... VERY low dust, not too good in initial bite for street use, definitely not enough bite for the track.

I've tried EBC red stuff pads... low dust, good street pad, decent initial bite on the track, get greasy with extended heat periods (road course), these cracked and chunked on me in under 3 months.

I've tried Galphar pads ... EXTREMELY dusty, decent bite, decent hold up under repeated heavy brake application.

I've tried Hawk HP+ pads ... VERY dusty, AWESOME bite, NO discernable fade on the auto-cross... hard on rotors (but sure makes them shine)

Currently running Hawk HPS as street pads... just bedded them last night, so far they show next to NO dust (even during the bedding process), bite-wise I'd say they are

along the lines of the EBC reds. I definitely would not run these on the track though.

Hope that helps a bit anyway.

Rod

I've always replaced my OEM pads on whatever I owned with a ceramic pad. They typically perform better than stock organic pads and the biggest plus is they show little to no brake dust. I've used Akebonos, Hawks and Centrics and I'll be honest I couldn't see any difference among them. So on my last two cars (one was a BMW X3) I've used the Centric ceramics from AutoPartsWarehouse and have been totally happy with them. They're more affordable than the others and perform just as well. Hope this helps!

I've always replaced my OEM pads on whatever I owned with a ceramic pad. They typically perform better than stock organic pads and the biggest plus is they show little to no brake dust. I've used Akebonos, Hawks and Centrics and I'll be honest I couldn't see any difference among them. So on my last two cars (one was a BMW X3) I've used the Centric ceramics from AutoPartsWarehouse and have been totally happy with them. They're more affordable than the others and perform just as well. Hope this helps!

Whoa hold everything! I replaced my OEM pads on my brand new 2010 Sport two weeks ago with what I thought were ceramics, b/c of the amount of dust they were producing. I bought Centrics from Autopartswarehouse, b/c I've used them in the past with great results. However, I have since come to find out they sold me semi-metallic pads!! They had them listed on their website as ceramics, and even the sales rep said they were. After a few days I started noticing tons of brake dust, so I called them to inquire and found out I was mislead, by the website AND the rep. Needless to say I was more than a little PO'd. I'm returning them and they've since changed the description of them on their website to semi-metallic. The other interesting part to this story is after all my research on pads over the last week, I've discovered that the OEM pads on my car were ceramic! I found this out from a Midas shop of all places. They said their Gold series pads are the direct replacement to the Fusion's OEMs and they're ceramic. I was skeptical so I called several other Midas shops to make sure. Its true. One guy even told me Ford changed over to ceramic pads on their vehicles in 2008. So I changed out my pads for NO reason?? So now I really have a dilemma...do I put the OEMs back on and just deal with the amount of dust, or do I try another brand of ceramics? Midas said there's are made by Raybestos. Can't go wrong there right? I was also considering EBC Greenstuff's, Bendix CT's or CQ's, Hawks, and Wagner, all ceramics. Any insight or suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!

I just recently replaced my OE pads on my Fusion at 96k. The rear pads wore out first but the front pads were close so I replaced the front also. I had some vibration on the front brakes also so I replaced the front rotors and turned the rear rotors. I got such great wear and performance fro the OE brakes so I bought another set of OEM Ford pads and rotors. If I get another 96k out of these I will have surely got my moneys worth. :happy feet:

I just recently replaced my OE pads on my Fusion at 96k. The rear pads wore out first but the front pads were close so I replaced the front also. I had some vibration on the front brakes also so I replaced the front rotors and turned the rear rotors. I got such great wear and performance fro the OE brakes so I bought another set of OEM Ford pads and rotors. If I get another 96k out of these I will have surely got my moneys worth. :happy feet:

Agree, OEM is the only way to go and this is coming from a guy with OEM, independent and dealership shop experience. The Ford pads are ceramic to begin with and they are designed to last unlike the aftermarket. I did my rears at about 77K. Could have pushed it a little further I guess, and I still have plenty of life left on the fronts.

OEM! OEM! OEM! :roses:

rearbrakepads.jpg

Just my 2 cents.

I've found EBC green stuff to be fairly poor. Low initial bite (as the guy above said), tear up the rotors. They do have very low dust and last a good amount of time, but at the expense of braking and your rotors. This was in a 94 Cobra with 2000 Brembo brake kit.

I found just the opposite with EBC Green pads. I put them on 2010 Sport, did not do anything to the rotors, just swapped out the worn OEM pads and put the EBC on, braking was like night and day. The car STOPPED! The brakes worked great, but did create more dust than the OEM pads for the first few thousand miles, and eventually subsided once worn in to just a mild dusting.

The OEM pads on my Flex EB however SUCKSUCKSUCKSUCK. They are BADDDDD. I have been trying to get EBC pads to replace them with, but they have been out of stock. The pads heat up too quick under hard braking and now the rotors have cementite spots all over them, and make some pretty nasty sounds when slowing quickly. You would think that putting 350 HP under the hood, they would beef up the brakes same as the SHO, I mean, its the same drive train as the SHO, why not the same brakes? A car that does the quarter mile in 14 seconds should have some beefy brakes to slow it down too.

However, on the FFH, plain old OEM pads are just fine, since most of the braking is done via the drivetrain. They should last 100k before needing to be replaced.