Sign in to follow this  
Discover

E85 vs. 87 - 89 - 91

Don't forget how ethanol drives the price of corn up so much, the poor countries of the world can't afford to buy it for their starving people.... Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now, but I heard it's true.

Don't forget how ethanol drives the price of corn up so much, the poor countries of the world can't afford to buy it for their starving people.... Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now, but I heard it's true.

I agree with scottss80 and xmech2k. E85 does nothing for the environment. Corn is meant to be eaten, not burned. When you figure the 25% mpg reduction, you'd have to pay 25% per gallon less at the pump just to break even. My Fusion purrs on 87 octane, and I'm sticking with it. If you want to help the environment, ride a bicycle locally and shop locally.

The corn that goes into ethanol production is feed corn, not meant for human consumption. If anything, you would be fighting a pig for his dinner rather than taking food off of the plates of someone in a third world country.

If there were no market for ethanol, and the government subsidies form the 1930's were discontinued, feed corn (and hence, meat) would be cheaper. Then the farmers might be encouraged to go back to producing corn for human consumption. It's all about profit in the end, but that profit can be realized in so many more benficial ways for the planet.

Bottom line though: My Fusion still purrs on regular 87 octane gas.