boltonebob

Passenger side seat rattling noise - Ford Fusion 2010

You were all so helpful before that I decided to return to call upon your wisdom once again. My Ford Fusion 2010 has developed a rattling sound in the passenger side seat when no one is sat in it. I thought originally that is was the passenger side door, but when the rattling is occurring, if I place my hand on the side of the seat and apply a little pressure in any direction the noise stops. The noise does not occur when anyone is sat in the seat, just when it is empty. Does anyone know if there is a TSB for this, or have any idea what it could be? I'm thinking about taking it back to the dealership next week for them to look at.

You were all so helpful before that I decided to return to call upon your wisdom once again. My Ford Fusion 2010 has developed a rattling sound in the passenger side seat when no one is sat in it. I thought originally that is was the passenger side door, but when the rattling is occurring, if I place my hand on the side of the seat and apply a little pressure in any direction the noise stops. The noise does not occur when anyone is sat in the seat, just when it is empty. Does anyone know if there is a TSB for this, or have any idea what it could be? I'm thinking about taking it back to the dealership next week for them to look at.

Well, I cant say for sure if it's the same problem, as I have an MKZ. However, I also had a rattling noise coming from the area of the passenger seat when it was unoccupied. It was driving me nuts. It turned out to be the shoulder harness buckle hitting the plastic side molding of the seat. Grabbing ahold of the buckle stops the rattle. IMO, it's a design flaw. What I do is just turn the buckle sideways and wedge it between the lower B-pillar molding and the side of the seat so it can't move Problem solved.

I hope this simple solution works for you as well :) Let us know if it does.

I too heard a rattle from the passenger seat when empty. It turns out, for me too, that the seat-belt tip sometimes rests against the plastic cover of the seat-mounted side-airbag. This usually happens when a passenger undoes the seatbelt and leaves the metal tip wedged between the seat and the B-pillar pointing upwards. I simply pull on it a little so it falls in place pointing downwards so it does not touch the plastic cover anymore.

Is it safe to put something to absorb the sound over the plastic cover ( a small adhesive rubber patch will do the trick) ?

Edited by MTLFusion2010

i too had a rattle coming fromy passenger side seat it turned out to be my seat track was dry and then i lubed it and all is well

I have booked it in for Monday to be looked at by the dealership. The rattling sound was not coming from the seat belt, as even when I held the belt across the seat I could hear the rattling of the seat. I don't really know how to test the seat track, I know that if I move the seat all the way forward, or all the way back, it makes the same noise. I'll let you all know what the problem was when I've been on Monday! :sos:

After hearing a rattle coming from the passenger side of my 2010 Fusion Sport, I noticed a rubber strip along the inside near the bottom of each door. I pressed on the rivets (?) used to attach the rubber strip to the door, and found that some were not pushed all the way in. That appears to have stopped the rattle in my case. Could that be the cause of rattles for other Fusion owners?

Just got back from the dealership, apparently the issue is the seat track. They have ordered a new seat track and told me it would take a day's worth of work to replace it once the part came in. Also, just before I took it in today I received a ford safety recall notice for : 10B15, which apparently is for a PCM reflash. They did the recall issue today, haven't really noticed any difference!

Here's hoping the seat track doesn't take forever to come in, as I ordered a replacement hubcap a month and a half ago, and was told today it would not come in until June or July. I really hope the seat track doesn't take that long to come in, and that it's replacement actually fixes the issue.

I'll let you all know once it's been replaced!! :waiting:

After hearing a rattle coming from the passenger side of my 2010 Fusion Sport, I noticed a rubber strip along the inside near the bottom of each door. I pressed on the rivets (?) used to attach the rubber strip to the door, and found that some were not pushed all the way in. That appears to have stopped the rattle in my case. Could that be the cause of rattles for other Fusion owners?

That strip can rattle a lot when the door is open. I thought that was the source of a big rattle I had in my passenger door. But the noise was not, and can not, come from that strip when the door is shut. The strip is captured between the sheetmetal of the door and the body of the car when the door is shut! Anyways, the source of my rattle was the plastic assembly that holds the inside door latch. I removed the latch unit and put duct tape on the metal where the latch hosing touches it. Reinstalled the latch and the rattle is gone!

OK, so today was not a good day with the car. They replaced the seat track, but that did not cure the rattling noise. So they have put in an enquiry with Ford. On top of that they managed to scratch the plastic panels by the door when they took the seat out. Now they have to replace those panels and still come up with a fix for the noise.

On top of that, when they replaced the track and put the seat back, they did not recognize that the seat had to be reprogrammed into the system. When I picked the car up the first time, the passenger airbag off light was on all the time. They have fixed this now.

Just waiting on the replacement parts for the ones they damaged, and a hopeful idea to fix the rattling problem with the seat.

The rattling is to do with the seat, as while I am driving, if I put a little pressure in any direction on the seat with my hand, the rattling stops!

The saga goes on....

I have the same issue w/ my 2008 SE v6. I place a little pressure on the side of the seat, and it stops. I think its either the track, or the hinge for the seat back itself. I'll try everyones suggestion, but please, keep us posted on what finally does the trick! Good luck to ya. I may just wait for the next gen Fusion to arrive and trade up. =)

Well I've tried to ignore the issue but it's not going away, so the hunt is back on. Like I said before the rattling is to do with the seat as it stops as soon as I put a little pressure on the passenger side seat pushing it away from me. I only have to apply a little pressure for the noise to stop. I've had the seat track replaced, so it was not that. It isn't the seat belt against any plastic, or any strips around the door, as it appears to be isolated to the chair, judging by the fact it stops with a little pressure away from me.

The dealership has said that Ford does not understand what the problem could be other than the seat track that was replaced. They have suggested that some rattling is normal, and that I should come in and test drive another fusion 2010 and see if the noise is present. I guess that is my next step! I will be calling to make an appointment to test another car out for the noise.

It was actually my wife that pushed me into pursuing the issue, as she complained that it was annoying her now!

If anyone comes up with the answer before I get to it, please let me know! :sos:

I'll keep you all posted on my progress!

They have suggested that some rattling is normal,

Oh man! I'd like to bitch-slap that 'empoyee'. That's what they tell you when the don't want to be bothered with something. It's not normal. Don't bother test driving another 2010. I have over 20k miles on my 2010 and no rattles. Either the seat or tracks or something is not adjusted right, or there is something wrong with the seat itself or something else. Maybe they don't have a tech at that dealership who really knows what the heck they are doing with this part of the car. Is there another dealer nearby you could try? If it stops while you push on the seat, can you wiggle it gently back and forth and see if it's the whole seat or just the seatback that does it? That could go a long way to solving your problem if you could isolate it. There was a recall which I believe was for something with the passenger seat recline hinges on some VINs.

Oh man! I'd like to bitch-slap that 'empoyee'. That's what they tell you when the don't want to be bothered with something. It's not normal. Don't bother test driving another 2010. I have over 20k miles on my 2010 and no rattles. Either the seat or tracks or something is not adjusted right, or there is something wrong with the seat itself or something else. Maybe they don't have a tech at that dealership who really knows what the heck they are doing with this part of the car. Is there another dealer nearby you could try? If it stops while you push on the seat, can you wiggle it gently back and forth and see if it's the whole seat or just the seatback that does it? That could go a long way to solving your problem if you could isolate it. There was a recall which I believe was for something with the passenger seat recline hinges on some VINs.

I actually find on my 2010 SEL that the passenger seat sometimes rattles, the top portion that reclines. Do you know which recall that is?...(boltonebob) Btw I had this insanely annoying rattling noise before in my car, it was the visor mirror that sometimes pops out of it's holder clip for no reason. Make sure it isn't that. But you said the seat, yes I have had that sometimes, but never thought anything of it. The only new car I've ever heard rattle, off the dealer lot was a crummy Mazda 3, everything in that car was very cheaply made in my opinion. I'm not trying to start any fights here, I only though that, that car was cheaply made.

My linkHere's a link to a thread on this recall. I think the # is in post #13. I guess it's something about improper gear meshing in some pax seats, so maybe it could cause a rattle?

My linkHere's a link to a thread on this recall. I think the # is in post #13. I guess it's something about improper gear meshing in some pax seats, so maybe it could cause a rattle?

That link takes me to some crazy website. Could you try that again? Or where is it on the forum and I can look for it.

Sorry. I was at work, and at my work computer the 'add link' dialog ran off the left side ofthe screen and wouldn't let me move it, so I was flying blind... :waiting:

Here it is again. It's just a link to a topic here.

Hi, I love my Fusion (2010) but have had the same rattling noise from the passenger seat. My dealership has had a really hard time with the car as it has presented a number of challenges (rear window motors had to be replaced). The passenger seat frame turned out to be broken so they had to replace the seat (and did scratch all the panels up really bad when replacing them), then the problem with the airbag light--they reprogrammed the unit a few times then after talking with a Ford Engineer found that the module had to be replaced. The latest is that when they replace the seat track it is required that a small clip be replaced--they didn't know about this so have ordered that part. I'm hoping that this will end the multiple issues....although my transmission keeps slipping when it's cold out. I guess that will be the next problem. Good luck! My noise is better though.

I have a 2010 Fusion as well and I recently came across the same problem. My problem was that the passenger side seat belt was twisted, and when I laid it out the way it should've been, it stopped the rattling.

Made me think that my car was falling apart. Which was a common problem with my old car.

Finally got it resolved. Here is the story.

I decided a couple of weeks ago to pursue this issue again at the dealership, mainly because it was annoying my wife.

I reminded them of their advice to test another car. First they had me drive around with a mechanic in the back seat listening for the noise, and then they had me do the same in another Fusion 2010.

The mechanic agreed that he could actually hear the noise and was able to replicate the sound when stationary by rocking the seat forward and backward. The sound was not present in the other Fusion.

Therefore they decided to take the seat panels off and fiddle with it and investigate, which they did for quite some time. The eventual report from them was not good. They reported that they could replicate the sound in the drivers seat too, and that there was nothing to be done but for them to contact Ford again and ask for advice. They said they would recommend replacing the seat track as that is where they believed it was coming from, but I had already had that replaced. I left the dealership a little dismayed that I had affectively been cast aside by the dealership and by Ford, who in their morning email to the dealership simply said the same old 'Some rattles are normal in a car'. The dealership apologized and sent me on my way.

but.....

On driving home I noticed the rattling noise had gone. I got home and drove a familiar route that always caused the noise, and even had my wife do the same. The noise has seemingly gone altogether! I put my hands on the seat and tried to rock it as the mechanic had and the seat seemed a hell of a lot firmer and tighter in its spot.

At this point I believe it is fixed, although even the dealership does not know exactly what they did to fix the issue.

Good luck to anyone else who has the same issue, I wish I could tell you exactly how to fix it, but I can't!

:shift:

I have a Ford Fusion 2015 with less than 10k miles - I am noticing a rattle when I hit bumps - sounds like it is coming from the trunk - louder with the seats down - anyone else have this issue thanks……….

I have a Ford Fusion 2015 with less than 10k miles - I am noticing a rattle when I hit bumps - sounds like it is coming from the trunk - louder with the seats down - anyone else have this issue thanks……….

Check the torsion bars that support the trunk lid when it is open and verify that the rubber tubes on them are centered on the bars.

I don't have rubber tubes - but the torsion bars are zip tied together - whats next?

Wow! That makes no sense to me. Those zip ties would have to be really tight to prevent the bars from making noise. How close are they to the metal deck above them? Is it possible for them to flex upward enough to hit the underside of the package shelf?