boltonebob

Passenger side seat rattling noise - Ford Fusion 2010

You were all so helpful before that I decided to return to call upon your wisdom once again. My Ford Fusion 2010 has developed a rattling sound in the passenger side seat when no one is sat in it. I thought originally that is was the passenger side door, but when the rattling is occurring, if I place my hand on the side of the seat and apply a little pressure in any direction the noise stops. The noise does not occur when anyone is sat in the seat, just when it is empty. Does anyone know if there is a TSB for this, or have any idea what it could be? I'm thinking about taking it back to the dealership next week for them to look at.

Well, I cant say for sure if it's the same problem, as I have an MKZ. However, I also had a rattling noise coming from the area of the passenger seat when it was unoccupied. It was driving me nuts. It turned out to be the shoulder harness buckle hitting the plastic side molding of the seat. Grabbing ahold of the buckle stops the rattle. IMO, it's a design flaw. What I do is just turn the buckle sideways and wedge it between the lower B-pillar molding and the side of the seat so it can't move Problem solved.

I hope this simple solution works for you as well :) Let us know if it does.

After hearing a rattle coming from the passenger side of my 2010 Fusion Sport, I noticed a rubber strip along the inside near the bottom of each door. I pressed on the rivets (?) used to attach the rubber strip to the door, and found that some were not pushed all the way in. That appears to have stopped the rattle in my case. Could that be the cause of rattles for other Fusion owners?

That strip can rattle a lot when the door is open. I thought that was the source of a big rattle I had in my passenger door. But the noise was not, and can not, come from that strip when the door is shut. The strip is captured between the sheetmetal of the door and the body of the car when the door is shut! Anyways, the source of my rattle was the plastic assembly that holds the inside door latch. I removed the latch unit and put duct tape on the metal where the latch hosing touches it. Reinstalled the latch and the rattle is gone!

I have the same issue w/ my 2008 SE v6. I place a little pressure on the side of the seat, and it stops. I think its either the track, or the hinge for the seat back itself. I'll try everyones suggestion, but please, keep us posted on what finally does the trick! Good luck to ya. I may just wait for the next gen Fusion to arrive and trade up. =)

They have suggested that some rattling is normal,

Oh man! I'd like to bitch-slap that 'empoyee'. That's what they tell you when the don't want to be bothered with something. It's not normal. Don't bother test driving another 2010. I have over 20k miles on my 2010 and no rattles. Either the seat or tracks or something is not adjusted right, or there is something wrong with the seat itself or something else. Maybe they don't have a tech at that dealership who really knows what the heck they are doing with this part of the car. Is there another dealer nearby you could try? If it stops while you push on the seat, can you wiggle it gently back and forth and see if it's the whole seat or just the seatback that does it? That could go a long way to solving your problem if you could isolate it. There was a recall which I believe was for something with the passenger seat recline hinges on some VINs.

My linkHere's a link to a thread on this recall. I think the # is in post #13. I guess it's something about improper gear meshing in some pax seats, so maybe it could cause a rattle?

Sorry. I was at work, and at my work computer the 'add link' dialog ran off the left side ofthe screen and wouldn't let me move it, so I was flying blind... :waiting:

Here it is again. It's just a link to a topic here.